Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Am I spoiled!
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Am I spoiled!  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Sun Jan 5, 2014, 10:44am
Subject: Am I spoiled!

This bites.. I went to the machine to pull my morning shots and make a drink to relax with, I start to do a cooling flush and the machine sounds "off" the water is not flowing properly, CRUD!

Short story is I think the starting cap for the pump motor is bad, not a big deal, it happens. The bummer is it is Sunday, no one is open.

I dig out my PID'd  Sylvia as I will not be denied my coffee and after forcing a warm up I pull my shots.... this is agony, I need my measuring cup, none of my cups fit under the group head, the steam wand is fussy and it takes for ever to both pull shots and steam milk THEN the taste isn't as good as I am used to and half of my drink goes to waste.

It has been years since I had to rely on a SBDU, and while I can remember them and some (nearly all) of the tricks to use a starter machine, every time I need to rely on one, I am hating the hobby. It is a wonder more people are not turned away from it and just depend on a chain coffee shop to get their drinks.

I know every time I have to revert to a SBDU, I say the same thing, sorry for the rant, I guess the good side of things is that by returning to SBDU land every now and again, it keeps me a little closer to the new people and their problems.

A sliver lining for every issue huh? LOL!

I think I just might dig out the ECM HX to tide me over until I can get the cap replaced, while it needs a full blown descale, it still works!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Sun Jan 5, 2014, 12:05pm
Subject: Re: Am I spoiled!

Sorry to hear your machine is down Wayne, but with your expertise you'll be up & running in no time.

Cheers! ;)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
RapidCoffee
RapidCoffee
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1
Grinder: Mazzer Robur
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: misc
Posted Sun Jan 5, 2014, 12:16pm

This cries out for submission here. :-)
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun Jan 5, 2014, 1:16pm

Hey Wayne,

I can totally sympathize! I passed along my Silvia about 2 years ago. Last summer, I was over at a friend's house helping him on his Silvia and it was very frustrating. I had water spraying everywhere when trying to flush the group and the steam wand and made a complete mess of his bar. I definitely felt out of my element.  This past September, when I was in Boston, I tried using my old Silvia and failed miserably when trying to make a single cappa. With this session, at least I was able to place the blame on stale beans and a Preciso that wasn't ever calibrated (and probably needed to be).

As Craig said, at least you'll get your machine up and running soon.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Sun Jan 5, 2014, 1:38pm

You guys are spoiled, it is definitely the "Mano" part of the equation :)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
Woody
Woody

Espresso: La Spaziale Vivaldi I
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Vac Pot: Hoover
Drip: yuck
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Sun Jan 5, 2014, 3:30pm

Hey wait a minute-  You have a back-up machine for your back-up machine?!?  :)

Jon
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Sun Jan 5, 2014, 7:09pm

We finally have a first rate espresso cafe in our backwoods town; Curly Wolf in Nevada City pulls excellent Four Barrel coffees on a Slayer Espresso machine. These guys know what they are doing. I'm thrilled to be able to recommend a good cup in this tiny town.

You might think they would put my hot rod corn pop roast, 'entry level' grinder and 'SBDU' to shame and I would go to town for great espresso. (...or immediately go on an upgrade frenzy)  This is hardly the case; coffee and espresso quality is not quite so simple.

Sorry about your lousy pull on your POS PID Silvia. Don't assume though that everyone using a SBDU and what is considered here as 'substandard' equipment is getting the same inferior results. Likewise, don't assume that everyone with a quality espresso kit wouldn't be pulling and enjoying swill. Espresso quality is never that simple.

For your spoiled attitude I recommend 2 months with only a La Peppina and PeDe hand grinder. Good luck learning to squeeze excellence from a humble kit.
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sun Jan 5, 2014, 8:34pm

Could be worse Wayne.  The Cimbali's p-stat crashed Friday.  No espresso, only brew until the replacement gets here from Espresso Parts.  May it be soon, I have an espresso play date for the 12th.

The silver lining is that it's REALLY GOOD brew.

BDL
ronburleson

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Jan 6, 2014, 9:58am

Bad luck Wayne! I have a Livia 90 that is on the fritz and I have not been successful diagnosing the problem. That's okay, I have the La Pavoni that I just rebuilt. How nice to have a back up. But wait, get it going and it pukes hot water all over the bench. Now I am 0 for 2. If not for Cammie coming to the rescue with an emergency machine I'd be crying into a pour over right now. Come on down the hill and I'll make you a nice latte. Her Gaggia Factory has me spoiled.

Ron
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Jan 6, 2014, 10:26am

Woody Said:

Hey wait a minute-  You have a back-up machine for your back-up machine?!?  :)

Jon

Posted January 5, 2014 link

UH, sheepishly, yes a back up and a back up for that :O
I am going to order the part from Cimbali today but I might just move the E61, ECM back to the counter. I took it out of service to give it a good descale/cleaning and major adjustment session thus the M32 was bought to prevent a coffeeless time during the rehab, as I put the job off to "another day" it is just as able as it was the day I took it out of service, come to think of it, I don't even need to reconnect it to the water system (a minor hassle in of it's self, don't ask.) It is a plumb in or pour over, it has been a long time since pour over and I forgot I could do that LOL!

I guess in the worst case, I could fire up the two group Brazillia outside, that would require going outside to  brew though :D

Ron, Thanks for the offer, it is great that Cammie was able to help you out, now to just get the other up and running :D

Craig, thanks, I guess my second post here goes to show how spoiled I truly am! Two commercial HX single groups and a dual group too LOL!

Sylvia was again pushed into service this morning and I even gave her enough time to warm up properly, I don't know what it is exactly that is producing the slightly off taste, it seems to be coming from the milk as the spro is OK but perhaps a little cool as I don't get to warm the cup with the now, not needed flush. There has been enough water through the boiler that anything old should be long ago gone.

I will say that due to the tip, the Sylvia is easier to make microfoam with than the M32, it has a very wide angle 4 hole tip, 3 around the outside and one down the center. The pattern is very diverse and not condusive to a strong whirlpool, Sylvia just runs out of steam a whole lot faster than the commercial boiler on the M32 LOL!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Am I spoiled!  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.28600692749)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+