Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
New CoffeeGeek
Specialty Coffee Beans
Temblor is a very smooth Guatemalan coffee that presents notes of spice, cinnamon, and chocolate.
www.thelostgringo.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > New CoffeeGeek  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
TheRealScubaSteve
TheRealScubaSteve
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Delonghi EC155
Grinder: Baratza Encore
Posted Sat Feb 22, 2014, 1:13am
Subject: New CoffeeGeek

Hi All,

I've been reading since November, but finally decided to join. I'm (Scuba)Steve - it appears there is an imposter who claims to be ScubaSteve already. I've never been hugely into coffee before, but decided to get a machine to make better drinks than Starbucks CharBucks. Turns out that really wasn't too difficult to accomplish. I've already ordered a new PF basket for the EC155 (over a month ago) and am excited to see how a bottomless will help me get better in my espresso endeavors. Until then, I'm getting by with a de-pressurized PF and fresh beans. So far (at least until I know better) the Encore has been great - I re-calibrated it to the finest setting and it now grinds fine enough that it'll clog up the grinder and Delonghi.

Steve

P.S. I'm not sure I know what "real" espresso should taste like. Any suggestions in Massachusetts? I tried 1369 Coffee House in Cambridge and got a terribly sour shot. Honestly, I thought mine were smoother. It did have a much nicer mouthfeel, though.

"But it is not a perfect world and none of us are god-shots.  As for me, I am a little over extracted and therefore slightly bitter and my crema is thin..." -Buckley
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sat Feb 22, 2014, 6:52am
Subject: Re: New CoffeeGeek

Welcome to CG!

There's an East Coast thread about cafes in the Boston area.  It was updated somewhat last Fall, as I was traveling to Cambridge and made an inquiry.  I got some very friendly replies.  1369 in Cambridge was highly recommended. I never made it there though. In fact, I never made it to any of the recommended places.  I ended up using my Aeropress in my hotel room.  Anyhow, given the things said about 1369, I'd suggest giving them another chance.  Try going close to peak time, but not right at it, so they aren't rushed.  At peak times, you're more likely to have multiple baristi there and possibly even their star.  Before you get your drink, try to strike up a friendly conversation with your barista and let him/her know you are a home enthusiast. It should help them not give you a sink shot, since it lets them know you are discriminant.

If you use the search tool, you should be able to find that other thread I mentioned.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
TheRealScubaSteve
TheRealScubaSteve
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Delonghi EC155
Grinder: Baratza Encore
Posted Sat Feb 22, 2014, 2:50pm
Subject: Re: New CoffeeGeek

Thanks for the welcome. I actually perused that thread, but was surprised at how inactive it was. I think the post you mention is the one that I heard about 1369 from. If I came across at condemning them at all, it was certainly not intentional. I ordered an espresso to try since the only other espresso I've ever had (aside from my own) was from the coffee shop that shall not be named (*$)! I also ordered a plain ole latte - compared to the syrupy sweet Starbucks ones, I was quite pleased (and amazed). No sugar added and I still enjoyed it - and it certainly put mine to shame as well. I would go back for sure - from reading here the shot could have been sour for any gazillion reasons - it could've been the roast too, I didn't have a chance to chat up the barista because it was jam-packed.

Steve

"But it is not a perfect world and none of us are god-shots.  As for me, I am a little over extracted and therefore slightly bitter and my crema is thin..." -Buckley
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > New CoffeeGeek  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.19234085083)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+