Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
New Duetto
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > New Duetto  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Danruth

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto III
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Electronic B
Posted Fri Mar 7, 2014, 7:38pm
Subject: New Duetto

My Izzo Alex Duetto III came in today, pretty excited here. Already made a couple of "OK" cups, still need to upgrade my grinder so I can make some good espresso. Do people usually leave their machines on constantly or is that bad for the machine?
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Mar 7, 2014, 9:10pm
Subject: Re: New Duetto

It's not bad for the Duetto to leave it on, but if it's not plumbed in, make sure to keep the reservoir full. I have mine on a standard programmable appliance timer. It comes on everyday at 5:30am. M-F it goes off at 10am, and sat/sun it goes off at 11:30am.  But I'm just saving energy. I frequently turn it back on, on the weekends and then leave it on until going to bed.  Also, I'd suggest getting a small surge protector from Chris' or 1st-line. Others may have them too, but I know those two places each carry them...and the one at 1st-line is a Panamax!

What grinder are you getting?

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Danruth

Posted Fri Mar 7, 2014, 9:15pm

Thanks, I'm planning on the Mazzer Mini E for now. I am now planning on plumbing my machine because the reservoir seems quite small. I will probably get a timer for it soon but grinder comes first.  I'll look into a surge protector. At least I can work on my milk steaming until I get my grinder.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Fri Mar 7, 2014, 10:35pm

Dan, hello neighbor!
Another CG'er also in Brentwood has the Duetto 2. I've pulled many shots on it. A fine piece of gear.
Not that many Nashville area CG'ers and HB'ers, so feel free to contact me if you'd like!
Just remove all the "munginess" from my public email.

Back on track here (apologies), there's no reason you can't leave her on 10 hours a day, other than as was said, making sure your reservoir is topped off.
Are you running her on a 20 amp or 15 amp circuit?
If 15, you MAY want to put your grinder on another circuit. This may not be a correct assumption, my friends grinder slowed noticeably when he ground on the same 15 amp circuit. He then wired in a new 20amp circuit, and all was good.

Edit: noticed your occupation. Thanks for your service!

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Danruth

Posted Sat Mar 8, 2014, 6:42am

Glad to see a neighbor here.

IMAWriter Said:

Are you running her on a 20 amp or 15 amp circuit?
If 15, you MAY want to put your grinder on another circuit. This may not be a correct assumption, my friends grinder slowed noticeably when he ground on the same 15 amp circuit.

Posted March 7, 2014 link

I am running on 15 amps, don't have any 20 amp plugs in the house and I'm currently renting so not going to do the work to add one lol. I'll be moving in June and that is when I plan on plumbing and possibly adding a 20 amp circuit, although I have read that the difference between running on 20 amps as opposed to 15 is hardly noticeable so not sure if I will even bother with it.
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sat Mar 8, 2014, 8:11am

Regarding the reservoir of any espresso machine:

Many guys get the idea that espresso machine reservoirs and the water stored there is excused from the ordinary rules of hygiene and sanitation. They aren't. Empty, clean and refill the reservoir as you would any unsterilized, unrefrigerated, unsealed vessel used to store drinking water.  

Some guys (it's always guys) will tell you they only tops it off, never empty it completely, never completely refill it, never wash it out with soap, and nothing bad ever happened.  While you're evaluating those comments, ask yourself if you'd take your family to a restaurant with similar food handling practices.  

If you'd keep a soup pot of water on your kitchen counter and drink from it for a month, only "topping it off," and never cleaning it, your mother would be very unhappy.  Don't make your mother unhappy.

Rich
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Sat Mar 8, 2014, 9:25am

My Duetto II is on 14 hours a day as rule for well over 3 years now with no maintenance beyond the normal stuff you would expect.

Plumb it, it is worth the effort.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Mar 8, 2014, 11:56am

boar_d_laze Said:

Regarding the reservoir of any espresso machine:

Many guys get the idea that espresso machine reservoirs and the water stored there is excused from the ordinary rules of hygiene and sanitation. They aren't. Empty, clean and refill the reservoir as you would any unsterilized, unrefrigerated, unsealed vessel used to store drinking water.  

Some guys (it's always guys) will tell you they only tops it off, never empty it completely, never completely refill it, never wash it out with soap, and nothing bad ever happened.  While you're evaluating those comments, ask yourself if you'd take your family to a restaurant with similar food handling practices.  

If you'd keep a soup pot of water on your kitchen counter and drink from it for a month, only "topping it off," and never cleaning it, your mother would be very unhappy.  Don't make your mother unhappy.

Rich

Posted March 8, 2014 link

+1. O do as you suggest., and should have clarified my technique, which is to top off for usually 3-4 days, then remove the plastic reservoir for cleansing. At 3-4 days, I feel no "scummy" residue...you know, that slick texture on the walls.
Thanks for cleaning up my lazy posting!

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > New Duetto  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.256921052933)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+