Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
What's the real Third Wave coffee?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > What's the real...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
pstam
pstam
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: ECM, SAN MARCO, EURO 2000
Grinder: MAZZER
Vac Pot: YES
Drip: YES
Roaster: YES, HOME STYLE
Posted Fri Apr 25, 2014, 9:22pm
Subject: What's the real Third Wave coffee?

Many people said that the third wave coffee is "pour over coffee"?
Or I can say that "pour over coffee is the most popularly used in the third wave coffee".

Is this the defination for you as its creater?

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
http://www.kaffa.cn/
-------------------
I am looking for the way and the place to extend our trainning courses.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Fri Apr 25, 2014, 9:58pm
Subject: Re: What's the real Third Wave coffee?

pstam Said:

Many people said that the third wave coffee is "pour over coffee"?
Or I can say that "pour over coffee is the most popularly used in the third wave coffee".

Is this the defination for you as its creater?

Posted April 25, 2014 link

Hi Peter! Been a while.

I believe you could say the 3rd Wave believes in lighter roasts, and our 3rd wave cafes in my city also tend to go more toward Single origin coffees (1 varietal only), as opposed to blends. Yes, pour-over is featured, though not mores than espresso prepared drinks. Hario V2, Kalita, Chemex, etc are very popular because they showcase these lighter roasts well, allowing the sweetness to balance the acidity.
One cafe here has a 3 group Slayer, and can really pressure profile those lighter roasts, so as to eliminate the overly "lemon" acidity many find to bright, myself included.
However, when one sips a perfectly drawn Ethiopian  with a layer of strawberry flavor, it's just so excellent!

Both these cafes also have a medium or medium/dark roast for the larger milk drinks like lattes.

Does this help?
I'm sure others will further illuminate, or correct my mistakes!

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
pstam
pstam
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: ECM, SAN MARCO, EURO 2000
Grinder: MAZZER
Vac Pot: YES
Drip: YES
Roaster: YES, HOME STYLE
Posted Wed May 7, 2014, 2:48am

Another question.
What do you think about the "tastes of coffee", out of that there are fruit acidities, chocolate, etc., from coffee.  Do you think that coffee has its own taste or tastes?

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
http://www.kaffa.cn/
-------------------
I am looking for the way and the place to extend our trainning courses.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed May 7, 2014, 7:03am

Like Rob said, in the U.S. Third Wave means places focusing on lighter/bright coffee for mainly single origin, not necessarily pour over. Personally to me, Third Wave isn't coffee... their secretly grinding frozen lemons and extracting them ;p ... since that's what it taste like lol
 View Profile Link to this post
barkingburro
barkingburro
Expertise: I love coffee

Vac Pot: Trifecta MB, CafeSolo,...
Posted Wed May 7, 2014, 7:57am

pstam Said:

What do you think about the "tastes of coffee", out of that there are fruit acidities, chocolate, etc., from coffee.  Do you think that coffee has its own taste or tastes?

Posted May 7, 2014 link

Coffee certainly has its own traditional and widely agreed-upon taste. But that flavor derives almost entirely from the roast itself--the dark roasted particles and caramelized sugars--rather than the stuff extracted from the core of the bean. That traditional flavor profile includes chocolate, caramel, nuts, ash, some woody or tobacco notes, various spices, etc., that in the right combinations are what people would universally recognize as coffee flavor. I haven't convinced myself that there is such a thing as an elementally pure coffee flavor, much in the same way there is no such thing as an elementally pure curry flavor. You'll always be able to break it down into other flavor components.

With some of the worst Third Wave coffee dogma (that's right, I went there), you will see practitioners placing roasty flavors such as chocolate, nuts, and caramel in the undesirable category. But this is only because they think the presence of those flavors covers up the true unique origin flavors that gave everyone such a great sense of discovery and re-energized the independent coffee industry in the United States. We went through a period of excitement, such as, "Aha! Blueberries!," that helped define where the Third Wave got its greatest momentum.

But now we have some light roasters more or less consistently producing coffee with the flavor of lemons, and these people apparently haven't gotten over the novelty of it. But to my mind, consistently producing lemony coffee by under-roasting is just as wrong as consistently producing ashy coffee by over-roasting. The best roasters would be those who can still bring out the unique origin flavors without necessarily sacrificing the traditional roasty flavors as well. Let's call these roasters the ones who strive for complexity. Yes, you might get a coffee that tastes like strawberries, or peaches. But I would hope that when so many people are complaining about coffee that tastes like lemons, the roasters would take notice, and perhaps question whether such strong citric acidity is uniquely characteristic of that coffee's origins, or more commonly characteristic of a failed roasting technique.

Addendum/caveat: I still haven't encountered these lemony snickety roasters... only heard of them. Are they real or just exaggeration?

- Michael
brianl

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: HG One, OE Lido 2, Baratza...
Drip: Chemex/V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri May 9, 2014, 9:28am

There are definitely a lot of roasters doing the lemon thing in chicago. I personally enjoy it as i'm not really able to produce this with my home setup and have always been a fan of lemon. I have not had it so bad that it was too sour, however.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Fri May 9, 2014, 9:35am

barkingburro Said:

Addendum/caveat: i still haven't encountered these lemony snickety roasters... only heard of them. Are they real or just exaggeration?

Posted May 7, 2014 link

Yes, REAL. I'm currently waiting another few days before re-evaluating a HIGHLY scored blend that, 4 days post roast was undrinkable pulled from my Strega at several different temperatures and doses. I, of course realize a good 7 days post roast is the fair way to evaluate, but I've many SO's and blends that gave me a more than decent experience 3-4 days post roast.
BTW, I used 2 different grinders, a Baratza Forte (flat blade) and an OE Pharos, 68mm conical. I would expect the result from the Pharos, but not so much from the Forte.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Posted Fri May 9, 2014, 9:42am

brianl Said:

There are definitely a lot of roasters doing the lemon thing in chicago. I personally enjoy it as i'm not really able to produce this with my home setup and have always been a fan of lemon. I have not had it so bad that it was too sour, however.

Posted May 9, 2014 link

could depend on ones "taste", to me lemon is sour period, real lemon, or shot. Love real lemons, as a shot though, no thanks lol. I was at Intelly and thought the shots were horrible, granted I don't like Blackcat either for that matter as it has the weirdest sour acidic taste of almost any coffee I've ever had, couldn't even pull a decent shot at home after 2lbs let alone their shop. But at Metropolis loved every single shot/coffee, even more medium s.o. and blends had an awesome balance and chocolate/nutty/caramel like taste. Shots at Intelly were like someone dropped 10 lemon tarts in my mouth. Same for Bow Truss and Gaslight, didn't have any bad shots/coffee there either.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Fri May 9, 2014, 9:56am

CMIN Said:

could depend on ones "taste", to me lemon is sour period, real lemon, or shot. Love real lemons, as a shot though, no thanks lol. I was at Intelly and thought the shots were horrible, granted I don't like Blackcat either for that matter as it has the weirdest sour acidic taste of almost any coffee I've ever had, couldn't even pull a decent shot at home after 2lbs let alone their shop. But at Metropolis loved every single shot/coffee, even more medium s.o. and blends had an awesome balance and chocolate/nutty/caramel like taste. Shots at Intelly were like someone dropped 10 lemon tarts in my mouth. Same for Bow Truss and Gaslight, didn't have any bad shots/coffee there either.

Posted May 9, 2014 link

I believe this is a cue of "The Emperor's New Clothes."
Peter, if there is a Chinese translation for the above fairy tale, read it and you'll know of what I speak.

Why no one wants to admit that in MANY CASES a lemony shot often indicates a roast's development was somehow truncated.
Pull a YEMEN coffee before the las snaps of 1st, and you can have a VERY interesting cup. Do that with acidic Guatemalan, a very hard bean and (IMO) not so interesting, unless you like a super high toned citrus profile.
Before I get trashed, I have been home-roasting a LONG time, on several different devices, have studied coffee beans from way back (thanks Ken Davids).

Some folks employ a "one roast profile fits all" approach. This is a deadly mistake.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
brianl

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: HG One, OE Lido 2, Baratza...
Drip: Chemex/V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri May 9, 2014, 1:50pm

CMIN Said:

Posted May 9, 2014 link

No complaints from me. I dislike Intelly espresso and I'm not a fan of Metropolis either (I'm talking the flagship coffee houses). I have also given up on blackcat at home, haha. I don't think Intelly makes them intentionally sour, I just don't find their Barista's that good (ever since they blew up in popularity) at pulling shots and I wouldn't be surprised if its just in error.

I can't tell if you are saying bow truss and gaslight were sour or not. The good thing about those two cafes is they have a single origin and a traditional blend. I absolutely adore bow truss and gaslight is good but its a bunch of hipsters hogging all the seats.

Now if we are talking non-espresso, my favorite brewed coffee comes from a little ole place called Big Shoulders. I don't think i've ever gotten brewed coffee at intell, metropolis, bow truss or gaslight to be honest, haha. Maybe just a couple sips of my girlfriend's drinks. I did try iced coffee at metropolis once and it was the worth thing i've ever consumed in my life.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > What's the real...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.344429016113)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+