Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
CoffeeGeek altruism: saving the world, one cup at a time.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > CoffeeGeek...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
canuckcoffeeguy
canuckcoffeeguy
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Magica, Mypressi...
Grinder: K10PB, Vario, Hario Slim
Vac Pot: I have a Dyson vacuum, but,...
Drip: Bialetti Brikka, Bodum...
Posted Tue Jun 3, 2014, 11:35am
Subject: CoffeeGeek altruism: saving the world, one cup at a time.

Is anyone else saving the world, one espresso at a time?

I just helped some Australian tourists stave off disaster, by directing them to a genuine espresso bar in downtown Toronto. They had been going to Starbucks by default -- which is ubiquitous here, like many big North American cities – since they didn’t know where to find a decent shot. Being from Australia, where there’s a vibrant coffee scene, they were longing for a good quality cup.

Fortuitously, they stopped me on the street inquiring about the nearest Starbucks.  It went something like this:

Australian couple: “Excuse me, can you tell me where the nearest Starbucks is?”

Me: (Thinking to myself… Mmmm, I detect an Australian accent. I imagine they’re looking for something better) “Well, what exactly are you looking to drink”, I said.

Australian couple: “Espresso,” they said meekly, sounding defeated, as if resigned to drinking super-automatic swill.

Me: “You’re in luck,” as I point 15 metres away to a café I frequent every week, but is hard to see from the street level(Equipped with Mazzer Roburs, La Marzocco Strada, and baristas who know what they’re doing). “Just go up the stairs and to the left.”

Australian couple: “Thank you!” they said, beaming. “We’ve been having a hard time finding a good cup of coffee here.”

Off they went, I’m certain, to a satisfying cup. I think of it as a small, chance encounter that, hopefully, enlivened their Canadian visit.

Anyone else have any examples of coffee altruism? Here’s hoping this thread is for people to post anecdotes about those unplanned, twists of fate – where your CoffeeGeek knowledge is put to use for the greater good.

It could be anything, like converting your parents from Keurig dependence to fresh beans – or, enlightening a friend to the perils of blade grinders.

Here's to saving the world one cup at a time.
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Jun 4, 2014, 1:01pm
Subject: Re: CoffeeGeek altruism: saving the world, one cup at a time.

Nice story, Sadly where I am, GOOD coffee is very hard to find outside of my coffee bar within 30 or so miles. There USED to be a coffee shop that was pretty good but a Starbucks opened up with in 100 yards of them and they went under.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Jun 10, 2014, 8:11am

I have always tried to share good coffee. I will point a person in the right direction anytime I can and go out of my way to do so.
I will make coffee for people also . At work before I retired I would home roast and bring in fresh coffee I even bought coffee to win converts.
I was a coffee missionary at work. Yet I must say for all Ive done most have fallen away and settled. It takes dedication and passion to
trudge on and many simply arent disciples  and they lose heart to easily.My immediate family though, just through the process of daily saturation
cant drink bad coffee,they would rather go without. I think to them it tarnishes the fond memories of a great cup . I think thats more often truer
than geeks like to admit.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
canuckcoffeeguy
canuckcoffeeguy

Espresso: Bezzera Magica, Mypressi...
Grinder: K10PB, Vario, Hario Slim
Vac Pot: I have a Dyson vacuum, but,...
Drip: Bialetti Brikka, Bodum...
Posted Tue Jun 10, 2014, 8:48am

Iluvdabean Said:

I have always tried to share good coffee. I will point a person in the right direction anytime I can and go out of my way to do so.
I will make coffee for people also . At work before I retired I would home roast and bring in fresh coffee I even bought coffee to win converts.
I was a coffee missionary at work. Yet I must say for all Ive done most have fallen away and settled. It takes dedication and passion to
trudge on and many simply arent disciples  and they lose heart to easily.My immediate family though, just through the process of daily saturation
cant drink bad coffee,they would rather go without. I think to them it tarnishes the fond memories of a great cup . I think thats more often truer
than geeks like to admit.

Posted June 10, 2014 link

I'm still trying to get my parents to ditch their Keurig pod machine. They like the push-button convenience. I was at their place recently and tried a cup. It was bland and nearly flavourless. But I'll keep trying to fight the good fight!
 View Profile Link to this post
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Jun 24, 2014, 6:42pm

canuckcoffeeguy Said:

I'm still trying to get my parents to ditch their Keurig pod machine. They like the push-button convenience. I was at their place recently and tried a cup. It was bland and nearly flavourless. But I'll keep trying to fight the good fight!

Posted June 10, 2014 link

Its a labor of love trying to spread this passion. Great coffee doesn't just happen you have to labor for it but the rewards ahhhhhh... endless. If you bought them a good machine and grinder and supplied them fresh beans every week
its still no guarantee their tastebuds....their soul.....would respond.Ive seen it. I brought great fresh coffee to work for 6 months and people were amazed. They ooood and awed when I mentioned the varietals and the differences.
Smelling fresh ground Costa Rican I roasted filled the office with that rich earthy smell. Yet in the end they all reverted when I left. Some people just dont want to do the work and believe me its work at times. Then they dont want to
spend the time or money. They dont want to read and learn either. Oh well...still we do it.We who have the passion for great coffee. My wife went to a big meeting at her hospital and took a sip of some coffee and spit it back in the cup.
They all said ...whats wrong!!!!!!! She said this isnt coffee...its something else.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > CoffeeGeek...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.237420082092)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+