Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Simply put: Espronography
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Simply put:...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 18 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
expobar

Posted Tue Aug 24, 2004, 6:27am
Subject: Re: Simply put: Espronography

JR Said:

One of us needs to try this on a Gaggia.  I guess I'll go first.

Posted August 24, 2004 link

I'd do it, but there are a number of factors keeping me back.  Namely the lack of funds and an extra portafilter...
 View Profile Link to this post
paulsdatter
paulsdatter
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: only at work
Grinder: Solis Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: 2 oldies, LOVE EM!
Drip: pour-over melita
Roaster: big ole Probat
Posted Tue Aug 24, 2004, 7:55am

Naked Chris?!  ...wha..where!!!! hmmmmmmm

still donīt think any of these names work for me. Terry, are you going to the RG retreat? You should bring somma those thingys to show off. Itīs wonderful that folks can get them from you. Letīs all keep an eye on the manufacturers and see who in Italy busts em out first. Then they should have a parade for Chris....naked Chris. I think I need to be there to cover that event for Coffeegeek
...Naked is better than "bottomless"

I am very happy with mine. Thanks to everyone for sharing. Anyone whoīs anyone sexy has one these days. (thatīs what the BGA is all about. Barefoot says itīs community. I say itīs peer pressure. God bless peer pressure!)

trish
BGA0006
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
el_cabong
el_cabong
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quickmill Vetrano
Grinder: Mazzer Mini,  Rocky
Vac Pot: Hario Deco, Cory ACB-2
Drip: Capresso CoffeeTEC
Roaster: HWP, HG/CIB, SC/CO
Posted Tue Aug 24, 2004, 8:36am

nickcho Said:

Appreciate the attempt at giving me a little credit... but NONE is due.

I'm a follower... NOT a leader....

Posted August 23, 2004 link

Don't cut yourself short Nick. A quote from your own crotchless page:

After standing in line at Home Depot with a 25,000 RPM rotary cutting tool in hand, I came to my senses and got out of line and took one of my older portafilters down to a local machine shop (where they build and rebuild automobile engines and parts) and asked them if they could basically bore a hole in the bottom of the brass portafilter, effectively "knocking the floor" out of it.

You did come up with a different design, and there are some of us that think it's an improvement over the Zoka mod.  I already owned a 25,000 RPM rotary tool and was prepared to go Zoka stylee until I saw your idea. So I stand by my original issuance of "props"

el_cabong Said:

Thanks to everyone at Zoka and murky for sharing their ideas and results.

Posted August 21, 2004 link

onocoffee Said:

....how about some royalties?  Follow the Zoka design and make a small donation.  Follow the Murky Mod and make a small donation too.  Maybe nothing fancy just a small token of appreciation to these baristas who took the time to develop the mod.

I am completely down with this idea. I'd like to see a virtual tip jar for both the Zoka and Murky crews.

Still working on naming my mod... lets see.... Zoka mod with the Murky twist... nah too long.... Zoka a'la Murky mod.... Zomurka mod.  I like that.

Anyway you want to name it, the Zomurka mod is a sweet one.

Joel
terryz
terryz
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Aug 24, 2004, 9:19am

onocoffee Said:

My only comment regarding the crotchless portafilter issue is one of recognition.  I'm very pleased to see EPNW respond very quickly to this issue and provide a CPF to the masses.  But how about some royalties?  Follow the Zoka design and make a small donation.  Follow the Murky Mod and make a small donation too.  Maybe nothing fancy just a small token of appreciation to these baristas who took the time to develop the mod.

Scene one act one

Terry Z, walks slowly across the room..........steps up to bar and says.........

Chris and all involved have been instrumental in getting the word out about this mod. Nick, says "let's give credit where credit is due.  "Wouldda-couldda-shouldda" don't count for shiznit". Kent Bakke says "Did you get that at the ESI shop?" EPNW Tech says, "Hey wheres that PF we cut up?" Mark says "I dream about Chris being naked all the time"  Well my friends thats alot to say.........

So, the proverbial tip jar just tipped the way of the BGA. Lets give credit where credit is due. To all of us in the trade and to those of us who enjoy this as a hobby outside of work!

With that said, I will be first to offer props to the BGA by offering a $10.00 donation for each portafilter sold via our company. Right now that stands to be a healthy donation, but hey it's the right thing to do.

Now my next suggestion is that all BGA members who have decided to use this mod as an option at thier bar  do the same. A small donation back to the source, BGA. This would also be the right thing to do.

The BGA then determines how the money is used ( I'm hoping for a big party!) and again it will benifit all involved.

Now if we want to get serious about things we all really owe Mr. Bezzera, some bucks for all the espresso machines we use, and don't forget Dr. Illy. But seriously, lets all be happy that Chris, Jacob, Nick and shared this idea. I think Holly House at B&B should get a little for  the name " crotchless" ;-)

Terry Z steps away from bar and says " NEXT!"

End of scene one act one

onocoffee Said:

And if I buy a CPF from EPNW do I get the double spout that's supposed to come with it?

No, you will not get the spout how ever I do have a pile of Portafilter crotches lying around, any takers?

Please forgive any and all typos,

Terry Z
BGA Member 0067

Terry Z
onocoffee
onocoffee

Espresso: La Marzocco Linea 2AV, 3AV &...
Grinder: 4 Mazzer Major Autos, Compak...
Vac Pot: That crazy Bodum eSantos
Drip: Bunn CWT Twin, Bunn Water...
Roaster: Petroncini The Crumb
Posted Tue Aug 24, 2004, 12:46pm

Bravo Terry.  Bravo!

Your very generous donation of $10 to the BGA per CPF is a great sign of your commitment to our community and more than I had in mind.

Very good work Terry.

On another note:
All of these dreams about a Naked Chris D. (and the photos from last years' BGA Seattle Party with Mark P. and Dismas) have me waking in the middle of the night with a cold sweat.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
andys
andys

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Tue Aug 24, 2004, 4:28pm

terryz Said:

I do have a pile of Portafilter crotches lying around, any takers?

I'm selling mine on eBay. Proceeds go to the BGA.   :-)

andys: bottomless 1.jpg
(Click for larger image)

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
andys
andys

Posted Tue Aug 24, 2004, 4:35pm

Bottom view with basket in place.

andys: bottomless 2.jpg
(Click for larger image)

-AndyS
JR
JR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Old Coffee Gaggia (x2.5)
Grinder: Cunill Tranquilo
Drip: Bona Vita (Thermal)
Roaster: GG/UFO
Posted Thu Aug 26, 2004, 12:40pm

Mark,

We played around with this idea some years back, and I had all but forgotten about it until reading a post on A.C. So I went and whacked off the bottom of another PF and have been playing with it this week. I was amazed by the channeling. It surprised me because every few shots would spray off little jets of water. I thought I had a bad gasket and then realized that I was seeing channeling occur. Thats a great shot of it occuring. Using a series of different tamps also proved some theory and tamp shape and design. Watch how the basket forms a convex shape as the pump pressure kicks in. This is something I noted when we first tried this, a few years ago, and to be honest, I did not notice much beyond that. So now it is of great interest to note the channeling. Anyhow, have fun with it.

Terry ZI think we need a whole new "Tamper Shootout" as well as a new look at tamping techniques (with photos)!

Jack

www.PainFreeComputing.com
http://www.GaggiaUsersGroup.com
www.IsuzuPup.com
terryz
terryz

Posted Thu Aug 26, 2004, 6:33pm

JR Said:

I think we need a whole new "Tamper Shootout" as well as a new look at tamping techniques (with photos)!

Jack

Posted August 26, 2004 link

Yep, Thats what we need....Well really what we need is the 2004 Tamper Shoot Out, and then maybe another? Hey Mark! How bout that Tamper Shootout, I forgot all about it. Shoot. Darn. ;-)

Terry Z

Terry Z
andys
andys

Posted Sun Aug 29, 2004, 4:41pm

For those who want to "try this at home," here are some photos that show one way to do it. You need a drill press and a holesaw. I used a 2 1/8" size.

andys: holesaw.jpg
(Click for larger image)

-AndyS
showing page 4 of 18 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Simply put:...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.401865005493)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+