Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Simply put: Espronography
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Simply put:...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 18 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
nickcho
nickcho
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: this
Grinder: that
Vac Pot: yes
Drip: drop
Roaster: Trish!
Posted Mon Aug 23, 2004, 2:13pm
Subject: Re: Simply put: Espronography

MarkPrince Said:

c) Nick for finding a better way to cut :).

Posted August 21, 2004 link

Appreciate the attempt at giving me a little credit... but NONE is due.

I'm a follower... NOT a leader.  Chris and Jacob at Zoka are the ones who deserve the props.  They're the ones who deserve ALL the love.  Them... and Jay Caragay from Baltimore... but he gets credit for just being so damn sexy.

And please... I'm reading waay too much "Oh... I thought of that once before" here, and around the 'net.  Nizzle pleeze... let's give credit where credit is due.  "Wouldda-couldda-shouldda" don't count for shiznit.

I'd actually encourage people to start referring to it as "The Zoka P.F. mod."  The fact that this "crotchless" idea has gone on sale so quickly that the page has glaring typos, and with NO mention of the originators... that sucks.  Is there no honor among CoffeeGeeks?

When discussing the portafilter mod in my shop, we always credit "a couple of guys from a place in Seattle called Zoka."  I have baristas who had never heard of Zoka, but it don't mattah.  Credit where due, because we ARE selling espresso pushed through a Zoka-mod portafilter.

Werd.

www.wreckingballcoffee.com - www.portafilter.net
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
espressoDOM
espressoDOM
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: WEGA Lyra (vibe)
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: (no more coffee equipment)
Drip: French Press
Roaster: Hot Top Roaster; Fresh Roast...
Posted Mon Aug 23, 2004, 2:37pm

nickcho Said:

NO mention of the originators... that sucks.  Is there no honor among CoffeeGeeks?

When discussing the portafilter mod in my shop, we always credit "a couple of guys from a place in Seattle called Zoka."  I have baristas who had never heard of Zoka, but it don't mattah.  Credit where due, because we ARE selling espresso pushed through a Zoka-mod portafilter.

Werd.

Posted August 23, 2004 link

Nick....
I get your point... Zoka should definitely get props for pushing the envelope...
cGEEK is all about the praise and love we show for those who push the envelope in the evolution of the specialty coffee industry....
BUT C'MON bro....

if you are talkin' about what I think your talkin' about... you need to re-read the thread and the listing for the portafilter...  no need to get testy....

I am sure Terry would appreciate the spellcheck... but blasting out for not writing Zoka all over his website is a bit much... he did put a link to the coffeegeek post in the description on epsressoparts... (cut him some slack...)

geez

DOM...evil genius ...Up to no good in espresso at all times... VIVA la parts de Espresso
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
terryz
terryz
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Aug 23, 2004, 3:23pm

nickcho Said:

Appreciate the attempt at giving me a little credit... but NONE is due.

I'm a follower... NOT a leader.  Chris and Jacob at Zoka are the ones who deserve the props.  They're the ones who deserve ALL the love.  Them... and Jay Caragay from Baltimore... but he gets credit for just being so damn sexy.

And please... I'm reading waay too much "Oh... I thought of that once before" here, and around the 'net.  Nizzle pleeze... let's give credit where credit is due.  "Wouldda-couldda-shouldda" don't count for shiznit.

I'd actually encourage people to start referring to it as "The Zoka P.F. mod."  The fact that this "crotchless" idea has gone on sale so quickly that the page has glaring typos, and with NO mention of the originators... that sucks.  Is there no honor among CoffeeGeeks?

Nick,

Typos and all I was the one who wrote the description. I had been receiving requests since last Wednesday to mod filters for Baristi all over the place. Sorry you take offense to me jumping on it so quick I never meant to cause any trouble. In the discription I linked directly to the coffeegeek forum topic which gives props to all involved.  I was working on Sunday trying to mod portafilters and take images all at the same time. Hey we try and do what we can in the biz, and always will, I'm sure the Zoka boyz will assure you of that. I have updated the item description to give props to Zoka as per your request. hey I'm a member of the BGA as well and I'm in it for the same reasons you are ;-)

Terry Z

BGA# 0067

Terry Z
 View Profile Link to this post
queebog

Espresso: Isomac Rituale
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Party Popper
Posted Mon Aug 23, 2004, 5:17pm

murkycoffee Said:

How about the Zokarotchless Portafilter?

Conrad
Barefoot
Barefoot
Expertise: Professional

Posted Mon Aug 23, 2004, 8:40pm

Actually it should be called the "Naked Chris" Mister Davidson be da won who did it. It's all about the hand that crafts the drink baby.

BTW we did ours today and are going gaga over it!! Absolutely killer stuff my friends.

This is why all Baristas gotta be in the Barista Guild! This is what it's all about!

Andy     BGA member 0005
Barefoot Coffee Roasters

^<>^
Double cup of love
MarkPrince

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Mon Aug 23, 2004, 10:25pm

Barefoot Said:

Actually it should be called the "Naked Chris" Mister Davidson be da won who did it.

I dream about Chris being naked all the time, so this won't be too hard a stretch for me lol! :)

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
Barefoot
Barefoot

Posted Mon Aug 23, 2004, 11:01pm

here are some photos of the Naked Chris in action at our palce tonight!
http://www.barefootcoffeeroasters.com/company.html

Barefoot: barefootnakedpf2.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Andy     BGA member 0005
Barefoot Coffee Roasters

^<>^
Double cup of love
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Aug 24, 2004, 3:24am

terryz Said:

Typos and all I was the one who wrote the description. I had been receiving requests since last Wednesday to mod filters for Baristi all over the place. Sorry you take offense to me jumping on it so quick I never meant to cause any trouble. In the discription I linked directly to the coffeegeek forum topic which gives props to all involved.  I was working on Sunday trying to mod portafilters and take images all at the same time. Hey we try and do what we can in the biz, and always will, I'm sure the Zoka boyz will assure you of that. I have updated the item description to give props to Zoka as per your request. hey I'm a member of the BGA as well and I'm in it for the same reasons you are ;-)

Terry Z

BGA# 0067

IMO props should also be going out to EPNW for recognizing the desire (dare I say "need"?) and reacting with amazing speed to provide modified parts for us geeks who would rather not get into (or hire) a machine shop.  I may like to tinker but I decided to stop working in machine shops after college.  Looks to me like Terry has ALSO reacted immediately to the request for direct credit wording rather than just posting a link to us here (which would have been sufficient AFAIC).  

Thanks Terry - for providing a very high level of service, for your blinding fast response to the percieved need, and for your willingness to respond positively to the requests of the masses on an individual basis.  Nice work.  We know you can't please all of the people all of the time, but I'm glad you're around to sell a few of those portafilters to us grateful geeks.

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
onocoffee
onocoffee
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: La Marzocco Linea 2AV, 3AV &...
Grinder: 4 Mazzer Major Autos, Compak...
Vac Pot: That crazy Bodum eSantos
Drip: Bunn CWT Twin, Bunn Water...
Roaster: Petroncini The Crumb
Posted Tue Aug 24, 2004, 3:41am

First of all, thanks to Nick for the props. It's tough being this sexy and it's nice to receive recognition from my peers - especially since I'm usually up all night and tired all day (that's the curse of being this sexy).

My only comment regarding the crotchless portafilter issue is one of recognition.  I'm very pleased to see EPNW respond very quickly to this issue and provide a CPF to the masses.  But how about some royalties?  Follow the Zoka design and make a small donation.  Follow the Murky Mod and make a small donation too.  Maybe nothing fancy just a small token of appreciation to these baristas who took the time to develop the mod.

And if I buy a CPF from EPNW do I get the double spout that's supposed to come with it?
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
JR
JR

Espresso: New but inop Quickmill...
Grinder: Baratza Forté, Cunill...
Drip: Bona Vita (Thermal)
Roaster: GG/UFO
Posted Tue Aug 24, 2004, 5:22am

Zep (Eric) -

One of us needs to try this on a Gaggia.  I guess I'll go first.

Jack
(looking forward to a weekend in the workshop with a drill, a Dremel, a file, and a box of Band-Aids)

www.PainFreeComputing.com
http://www.GaggiaUsersGroup.com
www.IsuzuPup.com
showing page 3 of 18 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Simply put:...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.367130994797)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+