Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Simply put: Espronography
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Simply put:...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 18 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sat Aug 21, 2004, 3:51pm
Subject: Re: Simply put: Espronography

el_cabong Said:

Well, I said I wouldn't do it to one of my La Marzocco portafilters, but I just couldn't help myself. I decided that I liked murkycoffee's approach so much, that I took my LM to a metal fabrication shop. I had work done at this shop before, so I knew they would do a great job. The modification turned out better than I could have hoped for, and the result in the cup is wonderful.  It cost me $30, money well spent!

I am no espresso expert, so I will say that I think the espresso is better, and I enjoy using this new naked portafilter.

Thanks to everyone at Zoka and murky for sharing their ideas and results.

Joel

Posted August 21, 2004 link

Yeah, I'm liking Nick's mod better too - a bit more thermal mass around the basket, and something that worries me with the LM portafilter - I worry now about "snapping" the handle off when tightening or loosening the portafilter in the machine - so Nick's version seems to give more strength to the modified portafilter - the curve of the metal keeps most of the handle's tensile (right word?) strength.

I'm getting two of my three handles modded on Monday - one the Alistair way, one the Nick Way. Big props again to a) Zoka boys for tossing the idea out there in public, b) Alistair for showing the way visually and c) Nick for finding a better way to cut :). If anyone indeed did fool around with this years ago, shame for shame for not making it public sooner lol! This is a true revelation.

BTW, Sammy Piccolo was just over here (he literally just left about five mins ago). We plowed through about three lbs of coffee. We found we could coax more crema out of even three week old coffee using this method, but also we found that, side by side, things be loooooookin' good and tasting good. Tried PFs three ways - with spout, with spout removed, and naked. Naked won every time both on visuals and taste, even double blind.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
el_cabong
el_cabong
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quickmill Vetrano
Grinder: Mazzer Mini,  Rocky
Vac Pot: Hario Deco, Cory ACB-2
Drip: Capresso CoffeeTEC
Roaster: HWP, HG/CIB, SC/CO
Posted Sat Aug 21, 2004, 4:31pm

MarkPrince Said:

I worry now about "snapping" the handle off when tightening or loosening the portafilter in the machine

I thought about this as well. I think the bigger risk is breaking off the handle knocking the puck out, but I think Nick's design is plenty sturdy.

BTW, Sammy Piccolo was just over here (he literally just left about five mins ago). We plowed through about three lbs of coffee. We found we could coax more crema out of even three week old coffee using this method, but also we found that, side by side, things be loooooookin' good and tasting good. Tried PFs three ways - with spout, with spout removed, and naked. Naked won every time both on visuals and taste, even double blind.

In a word, WOW. I've really been thinking that I may just be imagining the improvement (more body, sweeter taste), especially given my limited experience, but if you and Sammy can prove it in a double blind, I'm not imagining things. Aparently at least one other blind test came up with similar results....(from the SCAA barista forum) "Also, all of my very unscientific blind tastings with staff have proven the decontruction well worth the trouble. the naked wins every time."

This is really exciting, though that may be this afternoons three delicious doubles talking!

Thanks for your analysis on this. I am awaiting more results with bated breath.

Joel
 View Profile Link to this post
el_cabong
el_cabong

Espresso: Quickmill Vetrano
Grinder: Mazzer Mini,  Rocky
Vac Pot: Hario Deco, Cory ACB-2
Drip: Capresso CoffeeTEC
Roaster: HWP, HG/CIB, SC/CO
Posted Sat Aug 21, 2004, 5:05pm

By the way Mark, I don't know it will help you to know this, but the guy at the metal fab shop bored out the hole exactly 2 inches wide. He originally bored it 1 7/8 inches but we noticed that the perforations in the basket were not centered so 2 inches allowed for this potential variation in the basket.

Joel
espressoDOM
espressoDOM

Espresso: WEGA Lyra (vibe)
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: (no more coffee equipment)
Drip: French Press
Roaster: Hot Top Roaster; Fresh Roast...
Posted Sat Aug 21, 2004, 10:39pm

teehee... I couldn't resist.... (I am a little gadget freak)
It looks cool and it doesn't mess up the espresso so that work for me...
so like I said I couldn't resist...

Terry has already entered the fray but I had to email him to see when and IF we could get our grubby hands on a new espresso part....hehehe
I tested the waters to see if Terry would do the hacking for me b4 he shipped me the portafilter and it looks like I may be in luck....

Lucky me b/c I don't have access to a mill to hack off my pf @ work....

NOTE: this is just a new toy for those who like new toys to experiment with or a change of pace...etc....

nevertheless I gotta get one just to try it...

www.espressoparts.com here I come...

espresso is such a fun hobby because it is constantly evolving... thanks Mark for creating this site... (that is my brain thanking you.... my pocket book curses you)

DOM...evil genius ...Up to no good in espresso at all times... VIVA la parts de Espresso
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Aug 21, 2004, 11:44pm

Here's a question:

Does anyone know if I could fit a LaMarzocco triple basket into or through my Isomac (E61) portafilter if I cut the bottom off first?  Now THAT would be useful!!

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
Lefty69

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Pulser
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Capresso...
Vac Pot: B&D Infuze
Drip: Melitta Clarity,
Roaster: GG/SC Combo, Behmor
Posted Sun Aug 22, 2004, 3:42pm

I think I want...no, need...no have to have one....I wish this site would go away...ignorance is truly bliss...

Eric
Yann
Yann
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Marzocco GS/3
Grinder: Mazzer Kony-E
Posted Sun Aug 22, 2004, 8:29pm

MarkPrince Said:

BTW, Sammy Piccolo was just over here (he literally just left about five mins ago). We plowed through about three lbs of coffee...

Mark

Hey Mark, so when you say you ploughed through 3lbs of coffee, what actually happens to it?  I mean, you guys take a sip then throw?  Always seems like a heck of a lot of coffee.   I'm lucky to get through 250g/week on my own, though that is 100% consumption.  

Anyhow, all these mods look amazingly fun.  I'm not quite sure I could do that to a portafilter though :|

yann *who is eagerly awaiting his new epoca to be delivered*
PowerPro64
PowerPro64
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Giotto Premium
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Electronic
Vac Pot: nope
Drip: Bonjour Press Pot
Roaster: FR+8
Posted Mon Aug 23, 2004, 6:38am

Crazy question. . .  When I get paid in a couple of days I'm going to order one of these babies.  I currently use the double spout PF that came with my Giotto.  How will using the Triple basket that comes with the naked PF change things?  Obviously it requires more grounds to fill up that triple than my current PF.  Will I still be aiming to pull the same size shots though (1.75-2 oz.)?  Is there a greater risk of choking my machine?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that if I pull the same size shot, but use a triple basket, it should taste even better??  Could this be???  Thanks in advance!

John
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
Karnin

Espresso: mmm mm good
Drip: Ok, I gave in
Roaster: "Elmer" the heat gun (yes, I...
Posted Mon Aug 23, 2004, 8:08am

"Espronography" is definately the right word.  Thank's mark for the pictures, they're awesmone!  Now I have another thing to spout off about to all my coffee-clueless friends...  I hope to beabl to experiment with one of these soon.

Serve God, support coffee, live life.
espressoDOM
espressoDOM

Espresso: WEGA Lyra (vibe)
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: (no more coffee equipment)
Drip: French Press
Roaster: Hot Top Roaster; Fresh Roast...
Posted Mon Aug 23, 2004, 8:34am

bottomless portafilter certainly fits the bill.  For those who don't want the hassle of tracking down a machinist, Terry and his crew will modify your portafilter to bottomless.SWEET... Terry rocks for picking up on this so quickly....  (evolution of this industry seems to just be happening so fast...this is still like my first year or so knowing what good coffee/espresso is)

I am going to pick up mine... like I said it is the "cGEEK" in me that makes me HAVE to have this....
I think I will probably get a new Portafilter as opposed to sending one of my xtra PF's....

whoever gets them first give first impressions "we all wait with baited breath" to see how this works for the everyman/woman....

Thanks Dan for finding the link
and
Thanks Terry and gang for responding to a need....

(all props AGAIN go to Mark for putting this site together)

DOM...evil genius ...Up to no good in espresso at all times... VIVA la parts de Espresso
showing page 2 of 18 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Simply put:...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.312517881393)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+