Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Simply put: Espronography
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Simply put:...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 13 of 18 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
spinnaker007
spinnaker007
Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Sep 14, 2004, 5:27am
Subject: Re: Simply put: Espronography

Just got my bottomless PF back with a LM triple basket over the weekend, and I got to try it for the first time yesterday.  I got a spot spraying result of the channeling and 2 spots on my second try.  I went back to the double basket on the third try, and it was fine, with the vertical stripping.  Chris is right, the triple basket is a lot more challenging than the double basket, but it sure was fun to watch super creamy crema dripping off the PF...
 View Profile Link to this post
kaanage

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezerra BZ99, Gaggia...
Grinder: NS MCF, Imat Lux, Cunil...
Posted Tue Sep 14, 2004, 6:21am

We tried a bottomless PF at my favorite cafe starting last Friday and it certainly seems to make a difference, although we're not sure why. The cafe owner probably has a crook back now from watching the way the pour builds up.

Greg

do'in it on the cheap
sporkula
sporkula

Espresso: La San Marco 85, Rancilio...
Grinder: Modified Rocky
Roaster: Whirlypop, Hearthware
Posted Wed Sep 15, 2004, 6:23am

Wow.  What a fantastic idea for a modification.  I took a drill bushing and a 2 inch hole saw to my La San Marco PF last night after reading parts of this thread and I am super happy.  In terms of diagnosing shot problems during the pour, I feel like I have suddenly been granted sight.  My shots taste better too (might just be because I am so revved up about how bad-ass the shots look coming out of the basket).  I pulled some shots with some just-roasted, unrested, beans to observe the over-gassy nature of the shot.  The pour looked like a volcano!  Thanks guys for this idea.  If you are going to do the mod at home be carefull with the brass as it is extremely soft.  It is very easy to gouge the heck out the PF with the hole saw.  Don't try it unless you put a bushing in the PF spout hole to fit the 1/4 inch bit of the hole saw.  My PF is not as pretty as the pro-job, but it sure was cheap and fast.  The La San Marco 85 isn't such a looker anyway so who cares!
MOSFET
MOSFET
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Linea
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Hoover
Drip: Post-nasal
Roaster: Perdue Oven-Stuffer
Posted Wed Sep 15, 2004, 7:43am

Finally read this thread. You guys are nuts. But a good idea is a good idea. Tempted to try. Especially because of all the well-established c-geeks reporting results. As I was reading I was hoping to find more and more blind taste test results. Plenty here I guess, but would like to see more. I think a glass bottom portafilter would be cool. Or for that matter an all-glass portafilter (of course you could only use the knock box once). But some of the photos you guys are taking are great, and if the hype is legitimate this could be revolutionary. I mostly skimmed, but did not notice if anyone did side by side comparison of in-basket and in-cup temperature differences. Is it possible a slight temperature difference accounts for taste difference?

While you're at it with the hole saws, anyone ever try trepanning? It may leave you without future need for a coffee buzz altogether...

Keith
malachi
malachi

Espresso: Monster Mia (for now)_
Grinder: Monster Cimballi Junior
Vac Pot: Not any more
Drip: never
Roaster: Ecco, Stumptown, Intelli,...
Posted Wed Sep 15, 2004, 9:11am

i talked with Dr. John at NASCORE.
he indicated that (with the bottomless portafilter) you have a measurable increase in TDS (total disolved solids). this would explain the mouthfeel change.
in addition, he indicated that a normal portafilter does, in fact, have back-pressure issues and the bottomless portafilter eliminates this.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Luca
Luca

Espresso: H: Maver W: FB-80
Grinder: H: Super Jolly W: Brasilia...
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-2
Roaster: Sample Roaster at Work
Posted Wed Sep 15, 2004, 2:11pm

Hiya all,

We just got a crotchless pf last week (kindly organised by kaanage); agree 100% with the improved mouthfeel comment, Chris.  Haven't had much of a chance to play around with it yet, but we did split the first few drops off from the rest of the espresso on one shot.  Those first few drops were the thickest espresso that I've ever had!  Makes me want to make a whole cup of them!

Anyhoo, we should be giving four or so more pfs the chop soon!

Chris,

Thanks for putting up all those pics on the webpage; it's a fantastic resource.

Andy,

Thanks a lot.  Your really red pour looked so good that I just licked my screen.

More crotchless pfing after the weekend!

Cheers,

Luca

General ramblings about coffee: http://www.pourquality.blogspot.com/

Reviews of Australian coffee: http://www.coffeereviewaustralia.com/
andys
andys
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Wed Sep 15, 2004, 5:06pm

Luca Said:

Andy,

Thanks a lot.  Your really red pour looked so good that I just licked my screen.

Posted September 15, 2004 link

Hi Luca!

It would probably be wise to keep some screen-cleaning solution handy by your computer!   :-)

andys: bp11.jpg
(Click for larger image)

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
andys
andys

Posted Sat Sep 18, 2004, 10:28am

malachi Said:

i talked with Dr. John at NASCORE.
he indicated that (with the bottomless portafilter) you have a measurable increase in TDS (total disolved solids). this would explain the mouthfeel change.
in addition, he indicated that a normal portafilter does, in fact, have back-pressure issues and the bottomless portafilter eliminates this.

Posted September 15, 2004 link

I've run a few tests, and they tentatively suggest a different explanation.

I alternated shots through regular and bottomless portafilters using the same double basket.  I kept grind, dose (~18g), tamp, temp, etc as consistent as possible. I manually stopped each shot when the  total volume (crema + liquid) reached 1.5 oz. The volume was measured with an uncalibrated Starbucks shotglass. For each shot I measured the elapsed time, net weight, and total dissolved solids (TDS).

Compared to the bottomless shots, it took 10-15% longer to get the same 1.5 oz shot volume with the regular portafilter. And the regular pf shots weighed 15-20% more.

It seems clear that the regular portafilter breaks down some of the crema as the espresso trickles through. This is like pouring your beer down the side of the glass instead of pouring it straight into the bottom of the glass. Everyone knows you get more beer in the glass by pouring it down the side.

Consequently, a bottomless portafilter shot (at the same volume as a regular pf shot) consists of more crema and less liquid. Of course it tastes richer and creamier -- it's more concentrated. This observation is backed up by the TDS numbers. They were 10-15% higher for the bottomless shots.

In addition, if the barista takes care to adjust her grind to maintain a fixed shot time -- say, 25-27 secs -- the grind for the bottomless shots will end up a wee bit finer. This will result in shots that are higher still in TDS.

These tentative conclusions are based on very limited testing, so I'd love to hear if others find similar results. Also, those folks with automatic machines can extract a fixed amount of liquid and measure the variation in volume. I wasn't able to do this with my semi-auto machine.

As far as the backpressure issue goes:
  1. If this really is a problem, the tendency of people to stuff triple baskets in regular portafilters certainly makes it worse.
  2. But I'm skeptical that it's really a problem. A quarter inch of water column pressure converts to 0.0006 bar. Hard to believe that tiny backpressure affects the environment inside the basket, except maybe for the last 0.001" of flow.
  3. Of course you could always eliminate all backpressure by making deeper portafilters.

-AndyS
kaanage

Espresso: Bezerra BZ99, Gaggia...
Grinder: NS MCF, Imat Lux, Cunil...
Posted Wed Sep 22, 2004, 4:36pm

Hi Andy,

Did you compare 2 shots with same grind, dose and shot time (ie the bottomless shot ends up being larger vol but same weight)?

Greg

PS Could you please email me

do'in it on the cheap
andys
andys

Posted Wed Sep 22, 2004, 5:10pm

kaanage Said:

Hi Andy,

Did you compare 2 shots with same grind, dose and shot time (ie the bottomless shot ends up being larger vol but same weight)?

Posted September 22, 2004 link

Greg:

Not yet, so far I've just compared alternate shots with the same grind, dose and volume. Now that I've seen the greater crema retention of the bottomless shots, it's obvious that pulling equal volumes is not the way to go. The next step, when I get a round tuit,  is to compare regular vs. bottomless shots prepared with the same grind and dose, cutting the pump at comparable weights.

andys: bp9-22-1.jpg
(Click for larger image)

-AndyS
showing page 13 of 18 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Simply put:...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.353846073151)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+