Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Simply put: Espronography
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Simply put:...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 14 of 18 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
andys
andys
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Sun Sep 26, 2004, 6:50pm
Subject: Re: Simply put: Espronography

kaanage Said:

Did you compare 2 shots with same grind, dose and shot time (ie the bottomless shot ends up being larger vol but same weight)?

Posted September 22, 2004 link

OK, I've done more comparison testing between coffee made with nekkid vs conventional portafilters. The short answer is that the only real difference I find is the greater amount of crema in the nekkid shot.

Shots that are ground, dosed and tamped the same, pulled for the same amount of time, with the same amount of coffee and the same amount of water delivered by the machine, weigh virtually the same (with the usual shot-to-shot variation, of course). There is no significant difference in Total Dissolved Solids. With my equipment, beans and technique, the nekkid shot are approx 15% higher in gross volume (liquid plus crema) when measured immediately after the final drops have fallen into the cup. But if you let all the crema collapse, the net volume of the nekkid vs conventional shots would be virtually identical.

I could not distinguish any flavor difference per se, except that the nekkid shots, with their larger head of crema,  seemed "lighter" and occasionally seemed "fruitier." This is not surprising, considering that the crema is light and it helps deliver aromas to one's nasal apparatus.

The nekkid shot is obviously not going to suffer from off-flavors due to coffee residue building up in the portafilter bottom and spout. And if you want to make a nekkid shot taste more like a conventional shot, let it sit for an extra half a minute or so before trying it. The excess crema will collapse and you'll be back to just about where a conventional portafilter would have delivered it.

That's what I found so far. YMMV.

None of this refutes the tremendous training value that results from the barista's ability to monitor the nekkid extraction so closely.

andys: pour 6c.jpg
(Click for larger image)

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MPantani
MPantani
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Millennium
Grinder: Pasquini Moka
Drip: Never
Posted Fri Oct 29, 2004, 10:21am

A couple of thoughts.  I'm an amateur, many of you are pros, so maybe take these with a grain of salt...

There have been a couple of comments about how a naked portafilter may not retain heat like a regular one.  Maybe someone needs to create a portafilter that doesn't have a removable basket, or where the basket touches the sides of the portafilter.  This would maximize heat retention in the basket, wouldn't it?  Besides, who needs a removable basket in a naked portafilter?  

I've also read comments about how the basket flexes under the intense pressure of the machine.  Could it be that the tamped puck cracks as it flexes, and this creates channeling?  It makes sense.  Yet another reason to create a solid pf/basket.

Your thoughts?  Any machinist/welders out there?
 View Profile Link to this post
andys
andys

Posted Sat Oct 30, 2004, 10:55am

MPantani Said:

Maybe someone needs to create a portafilter that doesn't have a removable basket, or where the basket touches the sides of the portafilter.  This would maximize heat retention in the basket, wouldn't it?  Besides, who needs a removable basket in a naked portafilter?  

I've also read comments about how the basket flexes under the intense pressure of the machine.  Could it be that the tamped puck cracks as it flexes, and this creates channeling?  It makes sense.  Yet another reason to create a solid pf/basket.

Posted October 29, 2004 link

The bottom of the basket flexes and eventually cracks. At that point, it must be replaced. It's a lot cheaper to replace a basket compared to a hypothetical one-piece portafilter/basket.

Also, replaceable baskets allow you to try various shapes and hole configurations in single, double and triple sizes....

-AndyS
brokencup
brokencup

Espresso: La Spaziale S1
Grinder: Cimbali Junior, Infinity
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Sat Oct 30, 2004, 11:09am

Thanks for the new desk top background picture, Mark.

Bob
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
MPantani
MPantani

Espresso: Isomac Millennium
Grinder: Pasquini Moka
Drip: Never
Posted Sat Oct 30, 2004, 3:40pm

andys Said:

The bottom of the basket flexes and eventually cracks. At that point, it must be replaced. It's a lot cheaper to replace a basket compared to a hypothetical one-piece portafilter/basket.

Also, replaceable baskets allow you to try various shapes and hole configurations in single, double and triple sizes....

Posted October 30, 2004 link

You make good points, but with what many people on this website pay for their coffee passion, $50 for a dedicated portafilter isn't a big expense.
espressobsessed
espressobsessed
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: La Marzocco Strada & GB5
Grinder: LM Vulcano, Anfim, Ditting
Vac Pot: Hario Deco
Drip: Metal filter pourover, FP &...
Roaster: Ambex ym-5 with Drumroaster...
Posted Sat Oct 30, 2004, 6:07pm

The quantitative benefits vs qualitative benefits are what is at heart here. When using a naked PF, the results are qualitative: the espresso tastes better (qualitative) as has been shown in many tests (using tasters, on Malachi's page) despite some differences in basket temperature (quantitative).  

What are you most worried about?  How the espresso tastes, or what shows up in your thermocouple's readout?

blog: espressolab.ca
work: museocoffee.com

owner/barista at Museo Coffee
Saskatoon SK Canada
malachi
malachi

Espresso: Monster Mia (for now)_
Grinder: Monster Cimballi Junior
Vac Pot: Not any more
Drip: never
Roaster: Ecco, Stumptown, Intelli,...
Posted Sun Oct 31, 2004, 10:22am

Picture of WBC Champ Tim Wendelboe using the Naked Portafilter for the first time
andys
andys

Posted Sun Oct 31, 2004, 11:07am

malachi Said:

Picture of WBC Champ Tim Wendelboe using the Naked Portafilter for the first time

Posted October 31, 2004 link

Nice shot. I like the intent look on his face.

-AndyS
Damocles

Posted Mon Nov 1, 2004, 5:51am

I started thinking yesterday, i dont have either time or money to do a naked PF right now, but i got one thing.
I noticed that on my Gaggia handle, there is enough room below the portafilter for the extraction to float free, so i just removed the spouts. With a good extration, the crema never touches the PF, just like on a naked PF. Or rather, it touches the PF in the beginning before it stabilizes in the center, and then it comes straight down the hole without touching its walls.

So if its really a improvement in taste, you can get most of it just by screwing off the doublespout. On the other hand, you lack the pure estehics of a naked PF. Oh well, another time, another PF.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
PureArabica
PureArabica
Expertise: Professional

Drip: Chemex, Chemex, Chemex
Roaster: GotHots
Posted Tue Nov 9, 2004, 3:11pm

Hey guys, great info and pics =)

I just got a new Wega Atlas, and was wanting to get the portafilter mod done to the extra portafilter that came with the machine. The portafilters are fairly thin and I was wondering... can I put completely different portafilters in the machine(A la la la marzzoco style)? As long as it's the same size? It is an E-61 grouphead. And the portafilter size is 58mm. Any experiance with this?

Thanks,
Nick
showing page 14 of 18 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Simply put:...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.346725940704)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+