Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Easy Mod for Stepless Macap M4/Upgraded w/return spring 2/26/08
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Easy Mod for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
JVBorella
JVBorella
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Speedster, Strega, Cremina
Grinder: K10 WBC, Bunnzilla
Vac Pot: Hario NCA 3 & 5, Mitzudash
Drip: Hario Wooden Neck/Buono
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828P/B
Posted Thu Feb 7, 2008, 8:18am
Subject: Easy Mod for Stepless Macap M4/Upgraded w/return spring 2/26/08

While looking at my M4 yesterday & thinking about trying some coarser grinds for drip/french press I noticed that the worm adjuster is mounted on a hinge. Thinking that it would be nice to be able to move the worm adjuster in & out of engagement with the teeth on the adjustment ring I removed the two small screws that lock the worm assy. in place.  With these removed you can easily & quickly make large adjustments between Espresso & drip grinds by disengaging the worm & turning the adjuster ring. Once you get to the new setting flip the worm back into engagement to prevent movement while grinding & to make micro adjustments. Since you can move the worm assembly out of contact with the adjuster ring there is no need to remove the hopper & adjustment ring to remove the upper burr assy. for cleaning. Just flip the worm out of the way & quickly unscrew the entire upper assembly with hopper,ect  to access the burrs. This makes cleaning the burrs a quick & easy job that can be done daily with no screwdriver required.

The pic below shows where the two phillips head screws, one on each end, were removed. You will have to remove the knobs to get access to the screws but they just pop on & off.  Since I wasn't sure how the assy came apart I removed the worm assy & mounting bracket from the grinder, clamped the bracket in a vice & removed the knobs/screws. You can probably do this with it in place on the grinder but since the worm fits tightly against the ring there will be more pressure on the screws making them harder to remove.

My apologies if this is old news but I hadn't seen it posted before so I figured others might find it useful.

I've added a pic of the improved version with return spring in post #10.

JVBorella: Macap worm mod.jpg
(Click for larger image)

John
 View Profile Link to this post
graybeard

Espresso: Ibertal, Astoria, Mocha :)
Grinder: Madcaps, Ibertal, Bunn,Hand
Vac Pot: Yama, Cory
Drip: Pour Over Malita Type
Roaster: Sonofresco, iRoast
Posted Thu Feb 7, 2008, 8:33am
Subject: Re: Easy Mod for Stepless Macap M4

Thank you!
Been thinking about how to solve that problem and thanks to you it will be done in about 5 minutes from now :)
fifthgen

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro, Astoria CKX
Grinder: Maz. Major, Casadio, Isomac...
Drip: Capresso st600 chemex,
Roaster: Karma Coffee, Black Cat...
Posted Thu Feb 7, 2008, 8:51am

Looks nice  I have a concern as to what happens if the worm pops up in the middle of a grind.  I'd look to a stainless piano wire pin on a ring (like grenade pin)  to lock it down but I don't own a Macap.

Good coffee to you and your guests
JVBorella
JVBorella

Posted Thu Feb 7, 2008, 9:21am

Looks nice  I have a concern as to what happens if the worm pops up in the middle of a grind.  I'd look to a stainless piano wire pin on a loop (like grenade pin)  to lock it down but I don't own a Macap. Due to the size of the knobs covering the location of the holes left by the screws that wouldn't be an option. I've been grinding with this set up since yesterday & the worm drive fits snuggly into the slots in the adjuster ring so there has been no movement. If you are adjusting the worm drive it is a good idea to keep one finger on the outside edge to keep the drive from popping out but once fitted against the ring & left alone it stays in place while grinding.

The ideal set up would be a butterfly spring fitted on the hinge pin to keep pressure on the drive. I'll be looking for a likely candidate for this mod but for now I'm happy with the way it works.

John
GaryH
GaryH
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Macap M4 Doserless
Vac Pot: none
Drip: yes
Roaster: none
Posted Thu Feb 7, 2008, 2:27pm

Thank you! I just did the mod on my macap. Took these pics. I always was afraid to remove the worm adjuster because I didn't know how tricky it was to get it back in place. But with the worm adjuster mounted on a hinge it's a no brainer.

GaryH: Macap_Clean1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
JVBorella
JVBorella

Posted Thu Feb 7, 2008, 5:54pm

It certainly does make cleaning the burrs less of a chore. Now tell me how you get 6 pics all clustered together in one post like that.

John
GaryH
GaryH

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Macap M4 Doserless
Vac Pot: none
Drip: yes
Roaster: none
Posted Thu Feb 7, 2008, 7:29pm

JVBorella Said:

Now tell me how you get 6 pics all clustered together in one post like that.

Posted February 7, 2008 link

I crop the six original pics. Then copy and paste them in a blank MS Powerpoint presentation. Resize and move six pics around so they fit nicely. Make pics overlap by a few pixels. Save the Powerpoint presentation as a jpg file. In this case the six pics didn't quite fit the Powerpoint slide, blank space left in bottom of slide, so six pic jpg has to be cropped to remove that.
JVBorella
JVBorella

Posted Fri Feb 8, 2008, 9:39am

Sounds time consuming but it certainly looks nice & gets a lot of info in a small space.  I'm going to work on adding a return spring to the worm adjuster over the weekend. If I come up with something I'll post some pics.

John
passionateone
passionateone

Espresso: Bezzera BZ02S
Grinder: macap M4 step/doserless,Old...
Vac Pot: cona D
Drip: chemex
Roaster: Gene
Posted Mon Feb 25, 2008, 11:02pm

This is the very best thread i've read this year.  Not only do I learn a great mod (I'm not sure I'll do it, I've grown fond of my guitar string winder).  But I also learn how GaryH does his montages!

Thanks for a great tip!

Robi
JVBorella
JVBorella

Posted Tue Feb 26, 2008, 1:49pm

I added a return spring today so there is always tension on the worm drive to prevent the upper burr/hopper assy from spinning loose while grinding.  I made the spring hook with a short piece of welding rod bent around the mounting screw & attached the spring to the rear adjuster area which I never use. The spring is readily available at most hardware stores. The knob goes back on 3/4s as far as original & hides the spring.  Ideally I'd like to find a torsion spring that could be mounted at the hinge but this will do for now.

JVBorella: Spring Mod1.jpg
(Click for larger image)

John
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Easy Mod for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.31981086731)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+