Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
vac-pot and aeropress grinder vs. dedicated espresso + second for coarse
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > vac-pot and...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
NancyT

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Jul 21, 2008, 2:46pm
Subject: vac-pot and aeropress grinder vs. dedicated espresso + second for coarse

Hello,

Background summary:
I am buying an aeropress and likely a vac-pot/syphon coffee maker.  I have a nice superauto that was a gift several years ago so for now, will use that until next year when a move will facilitate the room for a proper set-up (aside: I've spent days on this site over the past few months and think the Quickmill Anita and a Mazzer Mini or Macap M4 will suit me perfectly - hopefully next year and hopefully a nice used set-up).  I mostly make americanos so the super is fine but is also in the shop.  Hence, the alternative coffee makers.  Inexpensive, and in the case of the aeropress - if all the reviews and claims are to be mostly believed - better than most coffee you'll find and easily portable.  The syphon is just cool and appeals to my experimental sciences background :-)

Question(s):
  1. I keep seeing reference to 'dedicated espresso grinder' in the various reviews and forums.  I understand that if you buy a stepless grinder it would be tiresome to go back and forth between espresso grind (particularly once dialed in for a particular bean) and drip, for example.  Is this always the case?  I am considering just going ahead and buying the Mazzer or Macap if it would really be suitable for all my grinding needs.

2. If the answer is that a dedicated espresso grinder is what_must_happen, then please recommend a grinder (refurbished is great as it threoretically gets me a better quality for the $$$ but is not a requirement) for aeropress and vac-pot usage - and starting grind settings, please.

3. According to Mark's excellent How to Buy an Espresso Machine, he mentions that a Baratza is a decent investment because once one does move on to superior espresso grinders, the Baratza is handy for all the coarser tasks.  Assuming there will be no espresso grinding, is the Maestro just as effective for my purposes as the Maestro Plus or Virtuoso?

Thank you for your time - looking forward to some answers so I can resume coffee making at home!

Cheers!
Nancy
 View Profile Link to this post
AlanAdler
AlanAdler
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: AeroPress
Grinder: Baratza - Virtuoso
Roaster: Fresh Roast SR-500
Posted Mon Jul 21, 2008, 6:13pm
Subject: Re: vac-pot and aeropress grinder vs. dedicated espresso + second for coarse

NancyT Said:

Hello,
Assuming there will be no espresso grinding, is the Maestro just as effective for my purposes as the Maestro Plus or Virtuoso?
Cheers!
Nancy

Posted July 21, 2008 link

Yes Nancy.  I have all three of the above.  The Maestro is all you need.

Best regards,

Alan
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Jul 22, 2008, 5:54am
Subject: Re: vac-pot and aeropress grinder vs. dedicated espresso + second for coarse

Nancy:
I use a Mazer Super Jolly for espresso and a Solis Scalla for my drip and Vac pot. The Solis is set half way between drip and press pot for the Vac pot and at the normal drip setting for drip. There is ample adjustment for these brewing methods and this leaves the SJ alone for espresso. A used SJ is probably the best bang for the buck you can get. Used ones go for $300 and up, retail is about $650 new.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
NancyT

Posted Tue Jul 22, 2008, 9:50am

Thank you both for responding.   Off to make an order . . .  soon there will be coffee-making apparatus in the house again!
pumpkinscastle

Espresso: Quickmilll Vetrano
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Posted Tue Jul 22, 2008, 10:30am

I use my Mazzer Super Jolly for espresso most of the time. Occasionally, I'll make French press coffee. In that case I remember the previous position (easy with the notched dial) and then spin the dial to a very coarse setting. Returning to the espresso grind is easy as the Mazzer is very precise. When you go back to a certain notch, you'll have that certain fineness again. Others might disagree but I don't think it's too hard to use a Mazzer for multiple grinds. If you change the grind setting A LOT, then it might be a matter of convenience to get a dedicated coarse-grind grinder. But for me (95% espresso, 5% French press), my one grinder suffices.
Jasonian
Jasonian
Expertise: Professional

Posted Tue Jul 22, 2008, 2:26pm

pumpkinscastle Said:

I use my Mazzer Super Jolly for espresso most of the time. Occasionally, I'll make French press coffee. In that case I remember the previous position (easy with the notched dial) and then spin the dial to a very coarse setting. Returning to the espresso grind is easy as the Mazzer is very precise. When you go back to a certain notch, you'll have that certain fineness again. Others might disagree but I don't think it's too hard to use a Mazzer for multiple grinds. If you change the grind setting A LOT, then it might be a matter of convenience to get a dedicated coarse-grind grinder. But for me (95% espresso, 5% French press), my one grinder suffices.

Posted July 22, 2008 link

I agree.

I think you're better off scoring a used Super Jolly for grind quality alone.

It's not as difficult as many would have you believe. (switching different settings)

www.AJCoffeeCo.com - www.espressotrainer.com - www.TX-Coffee.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
nmayweather

Espresso: expobar office, isomac venus
Grinder: mini mazzer
Vac Pot: bodum santos
Drip: mr coffee sp3
Roaster: toastmaster popper
Posted Tue Jul 22, 2008, 9:49pm

i use a mini-mazzer for espresso + press/vac/cold brew

after a while, you learn to switch, and how to switch easiest for you.  somtimes i use a pencil if i really need to dial back in, other times i just know.
JVBorella
JVBorella

Espresso: Speedster, Strega, Cremina
Grinder: K10 WBC, Bunnzilla
Vac Pot: Hario NCA 3 & 5, Mitzudash
Drip: Hario Wooden Neck/Buono
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828P/B
Posted Wed Jul 23, 2008, 6:39am

The stepless Macaps can be easily modded to allow quick grind changes & speed disassembly for cleaning.

John
NancyT

Posted Wed Jul 23, 2008, 8:25am

Thank you all for your descriptions and recommendations.

I find it frustrating not to be able to see the equipment in person and judge how well a feature suits or annoys me. Reading the reviews it is clear there is a lot of personal preference involved since quality seems to be unquestionable once you're looking at >$500 for a grinder.  The same grinder [or espresso machine] can be lauded and highly regarded by some readers for a certain feature and criticized by someone else.  

Ah, individuality!

At least I have access to good, locally roasted beans!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > vac-pot and...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.271881103516)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+