Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Does anyone make a good do-it-all grinder?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Does anyone make...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
richedie

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Oct 21, 2008, 7:39am
Subject: Does anyone make a good do-it-all grinder?

I have a Virtuoso grinder but is there a better all in one grinder, moka pot to aeropress to drip to espresso? I don't have room for more than one grinder. My only other options is to upgrade my espresso machine to a machine with a built in grinder.

So, is there a all in one grinder you all recommend? Gaggia MDF?

KitchenAide ProLine grinder

Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
TimEggers
TimEggers

Espresso: QM Anita, Cappuccino Amore
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Antique McKee, Santos
Drip: Pour Over, Bodum Presses
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Tue Oct 21, 2008, 8:00am
Subject: Re: Does anyone make a good do-it-all grinder?

Depending on your budget I've been very happy with my Mazzer Super Jolly with everything from espresso to press.  Used SJ's can be had for good prices if you're patient.  I snagged mine for less than $250, clearly in the range of the grinders you list.

Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
http://twitter.com/Tim_Eggers
http://www.youtube.com/user/TimEggers
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
phaelon56
phaelon56
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM 4 group , Isomac Tea,...
Grinder: Major, Super Jolly,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Fetco, Melitta
Roaster: Sivetz , Diedrich
Posted Tue Oct 21, 2008, 10:21am

I don't know what kind of espresso machine you have but moving to a model with a built in grinder is not likely to be an upgrade in anything other than price.  For an overall combination of price, flexibility and compact size I think a Rocky doserless is worth looking at. I happen to have a preference for Mazzer - due both to burr size (larger than Rocky) and the stepless grind adjustment.  But the Rocky is affordable (in relative terms), compact and the stepped adjustment should make it a cinch to jump back and forth  between drip and espresso.

Also - the doserless feature means you can grind directly into a paper drip filter or the like for your drip coffee but then just put your portafilter under the spout when grinding for espresso.  That said - I use my Mazzer about once each week to grind for drip and the rest of the time for espresso. have never had any issue changing settings.  If I was grinding for both drip and espresso every day I would have a smaller cheaper grinder for drip - e.g. a good Baratza or the Kitchenaid - and a separate dedicated espresso grinder.

Owen O'Neill
wenus2

Espresso: Astoria, Oscar, GB5
Grinder: Mazzers
Vac Pot: TCA-5
Drip: Drop...clever
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue Oct 21, 2008, 12:39pm

I think few would argue (much) with the phaelon's thoughts on this.
The Rocky has long been considered a top option for people needing a double duty grinder.

Another option would be the new Baratza Vario.
It's spankin new (unproven) but Mr. Prince and the guys at Aeropress both said great things about it.
It was born from the void in the market for people just like yourself.

Click Here (www.1st-line.net)

enjoy the journey
-jw
richedie

Posted Tue Oct 21, 2008, 1:13pm

Thanks,

I ask because I am at a crossroad of sorts. I have a Gaggia Coffee and Virtuoso grinder. I want to make some upgrades and thought about an automatic espresso machine to save time in the morning, but I can only imagine the grinders are horrible in those things. So, I thought about upgrading my Gaggia with a new valve and PID kit. However, I am not sure how the PID kit will solve the problem of the water not reaching the right temperature.

Anyway, A thought was the new Baratza or the Gaggia MDF which is cheaper. Right now, we are limited in counter space so the Gaggia I have is a space save. I also don't have room for a grinder much taller than the Virtuoso and I think even the Gaggia MDF is like 20" tall!

Maybe upgrading the Gaggia and grabbing a Vario is the way to go.
davethebrewguy
davethebrewguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Fiorenzato Bricoletta,...
Grinder: Compak K-6, Baratza Maestro...
Drip: Saeco Renaissance
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Oct 21, 2008, 2:21pm

I understand the issues caused by a lack of space, that's why my espresso machine and grinder reside in my dining room. I have both a Maestro for drip/press and an MDF for espresso, the good news is that the MDF is taller than the Maestro (which I assume is the same size as the Virtuoso) by less than a quarter inch. Unfortunately, I can't say that I would recommend the MDF as an all purpose grinder under most circumstances. The MDF will have no trouble grinding for either use but the doser is a pain in the rear when you want to grind enough beans for drip/FP/vac. I spent the last few weeks using the MDF as an all-purpose unit and found that it is much slower than my Maestro when grinding for 6-8 cups of drip and getting all the ground coffee out of the doser had me pulling my hair out.
richedie

Posted Tue Oct 21, 2008, 6:32pm

Thanks all,

Maybe I will have to look at the new Baratza grinder.
phaelon56
phaelon56
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM 4 group , Isomac Tea,...
Grinder: Major, Super Jolly,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Fetco, Melitta
Roaster: Sivetz , Diedrich
Posted Wed Oct 22, 2008, 5:49am

richedie Said:

Thanks,
I thought about upgrading my Gaggia with a new valve and PID kit. However, I am not sure how the PID kit will solve the problem of the water not reaching the right temperature.

Posted October 21, 2008 link

A non-PID'd Silvia would IMHO be an upgrade from a Gaggia Coffee.  I'm not knocking Gaggia - I had a happy time with my Gaggia Baby for a year or two before moving to an Isomac Tea but the larger boiler, beefier construction and larger drip tray of a Silvia make it a better choice. You'd need to practice and adopt some temp surfing techniques to get consistent brew temps but the Silvia (or the Gaggia for that matter) is capable of producing far better shots than any Super auto machine in the sub $5,000 - $10,000 category  (and - in the right hands - better than any super auto at any price).  Don't even get me started on the grinders in consumer level super auto machines.

Owen O'Neill
richedie

Posted Wed Oct 22, 2008, 7:00am

Thanks! Sounds like since I am the only coffee drinker in the house, just PID'ing the Gaggia and adding a new valve will be my best bet. Sound good? I will eventually look at the new Baratza and maybe a new roaster. If the Rocky doserless is a small as the new Baratza I will consider. Thanks again.

I am hoping a PID'ed Gaggia Coffee would be on par with the Silvia, but I still do not fully understand how one temp surfs. On the gaggia I was told I could open the steam for a second, shut it off to allow a little water, then pull the shot. The PID would be easier. I just fear our kitchen outlets are not strong enough to produce the required power.
richedie

Posted Fri Oct 24, 2008, 1:39pm

From talking with a lot of people, it doesn't sound like a Silvia would give me beter shots than the Gaggia Coffee and a PID'ed Gaggia should easily surpass that. I am still going to play around with temp surfing.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Does anyone make...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.27500295639)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+