Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Mods for a Nemox Lux Grinder
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Mods for a Nemox...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
fifthgen

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro, Astoria CKX
Grinder: Maz. Major, Casadio, Isomac...
Drip: Capresso st600 chemex,
Roaster: Karma Coffee, Black Cat...
Posted Mon Nov 19, 2007, 7:18pm
Subject: Mods for a Nemox Lux Grinder

I've got some minor but useful mods for all you Lux users out there.  (full disclosure: I sell the Lux)

Four things to do with your Lux:

1.  Pull out the vertical chute wires with a set of fine nosed pliers.  If you pull up on the clear spout (it fits tight but is will pull straight up) you'll see two vertical wires in the black chute.  They will cause your machine to clog.  Just get those pliers in there and wiggle one till one end comes out. the pluck out the other end.  (This is against UL approvals, so do this at your own risk, may void warranty; may not)

2,   Set the grinder up dry first.  Way too many folks set the grinder up way too tight and clog it right out of the box.  (I confess I did this myself with a similiar grinder) The best way to set this grinder up is to unplug it; take out the horizontal screw in the burr carrier, then remove the hopper. then remove the black shiny burr carrier cover fron the black burr carrier (pry cover upwards); use a 2 mm hex key to back off the safety screw. and screw the burrs down till the bottom burr turns with the burr carrier. then back it off a half turn turn, mark it, reassemble,  and dial it in from there.  (As you reassemble take care to orient the horizontal screw and the hopper properly.

3  Clean out the burr chamber.  Despite item 1. this grinder will clog occasionally.  follow the initial procedures in 2, (above) but unscrew the burr carrier, then clean everything, especially the threads.

4   For a great stepless mod if this is to be a dedicated espresso grinder.  Go to cafeparts.com (or any other vendor that has the parts) , Ibertal grinders, and get the adjustment screw support and the control handle.  Remove the burr carrier cover (see 2 above) to expose the gear edge of the burr carrier. remove the index pin and spring from the case or replace the spring with a wooden dowel (see below).  Put them in a ziplock bag in your organized spare parts area (yeah right) take out the two stainless screws from the top of your grinder. get longer self tapping screws (# 8 by one inch looks nice), screw the support in place.  These parts were meant for this platform.  Takes quite a bit of time to go from press pot to espresso, but for tweaking your espresso grind it's great.  You can even put in a piece of thin dowel instead of that spring under the indexing pin, and tweak the height and placement of the safety screw (which easily cuts threads in the holes in the burr carrier) so that the burrs cannot touch, yet the grinder can be disassembled with ease. (Leave a margin for safety, at least four holes; tolerances will worsen over time; having a safety device is not a substitute for consciousness.)

Hoping this helps.

Good coffee to you and your guests
 View Profile Link to this post
sleepdance
sleepdance
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Faema C85
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Newco OCS8
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Mon Nov 3, 2008, 7:32pm
Subject: Re: Mods for a Nemox Lux Grinder

I wanted to thank you for these tips. A couple of sellers are unloading new and refurbished Nemox Lux grinders on Ebay right now; I bought one for $99.

I installed the parts from cafeparts.com to make it stepless, and also removed the chute wires. I have to say, after owning two Gaggia MDFs and a Rancilio Rocky, this is a welcome little machine with nice conical burrs. We'll see how it holds up.

cheers
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
fifthgen

Posted Wed Nov 5, 2008, 12:57pm

Well I cannot even imagine competing with that price, but I am glad you like the mods.  Folks here have been very generous with me, if I can pass on a small part of what I have been given, that's a start.  Please find the right place to review the grinder, and please report how yours is doing with age.  it's no Mazzer in terms of speed, but I think it is very good for the money, especially with the stepless mods.

cruster

Posted Sat Nov 15, 2008, 2:23pm

Fifthgen, thanks for being kind enough to post these mods even as you retail this grinder. After a LOT of research I also found one of the refurb Luxes on ePay. I've had my Gaggia Carezza for about 3 years and it has never made coffee this good. I followed your steps and I'll be ordering the parts for the stepless mod later this week. I've been drinking a lot more coffee in the two weeks since I got the Lux!
sleepdance
sleepdance

Posted Sun Nov 16, 2008, 3:41pm

I posted my review of the Lux today.  Please review my review :)

Click Here (www.coffeegeek.com)

Thanks again for the tips!
BertieDoe
BertieDoe

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Pasquini K2, Nemox Lux
Roaster: Hottop, Precision
Posted Tue Nov 18, 2008, 3:40pm

fifthgen Said:

Well I cannot even imagine competing with that price, but I am glad you like the mods.  Folks here have been very generous with me, if I can pass on a small part of what I have been given, that's a start.  Please find the right place to review the grinder, and please report how yours is doing with age.  it's no Mazzer in terms of speed, but I think it is very good for the money, especially with the stepless mods.

Posted November 5, 2008 link

Agreed, it may not be as fast as the Mazzer, but in the Titan Project, it held it's own against machines costing up to 6 times the price. It was my first choice machine for 3 years, but both my wife and I, work from home and I needed to get a machine that was a bit quieter. In the cup, I can't detect any differences in taste, between the Lux and the Pasquini K2.
kaanage

Espresso: Bezerra BZ99, Gaggia...
Grinder: NS MCF, Imat Lux, Cunil...
Posted Tue Nov 18, 2008, 4:32pm

Ditto. Back when we used to hold coffee sessions at Maltitude (they'd be called jams now, I guess) we tested my Lux along with a Rocky, a Super Jolly and a Rancillio MD50. Once the Rancillio grinders had their burrs stabilised with teflon tape, we could not tell any difference between any of the grinders when set to grind for the same dose/tamp/pour time. Of course the steps on the Lux are much larger than those off the Rancillio grinders but I made a microstep adjuster that locked in to the outer ring teeth which made it comparable for adjustability (still not infinite as with the worm drive mod, though).

The biggest issue with the Lux is the noise - they really do scream.

I have seen Lux grinders used for decaf in some cafes over a few years without problems so they should last very well in a domestic environment.

Greg

do'in it on the cheap
sleepdance
sleepdance

Posted Sun Dec 7, 2008, 7:04am

Fifthgen, are there any other parts from different grinders that are compatible with the Lux? A better portafilter holder would be a nice addition. My Lux made it to Brazil packed in checked luggage without a problem, so it seems to be rugged enough for travel, but I use it daily and the PF holder seems a bit fragile.
fifthgen

Posted Sun Dec 7, 2008, 9:12pm

I don't know of any parts for the portafilter holder, but I have not looked into it at all. This is more of a home grinder than a pro grinder.  If I were going to make one, I'd probably bend some piano wire to the shape of the  rocky's wire holder, and braze a nut onto the wire, then tighten against it with a nut fron another side.

jdevers

Posted Fri Dec 26, 2008, 1:41pm

Will the stepless worm gear mod work on a Vaneli Inox?  This is very similiar to the Nemox internally, but the two "stainless screws" on the top of the Nemox aren't present on my grinder and I'm not sure how it would mount...
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Mods for a Nemox...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (8.46002006531)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+