Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
If you own a Zass, or have experience with them...
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > If you own a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Sun Feb 1, 2009, 5:41am
Subject: If you own a Zass, or have experience with them...

...Then I have a question for ya!!

Im about to make a purchase from sweetmarias for a Zass manual mill.  Most likely going to go with the knee mill, the 156.  It will be primarily for espresso, I have a cuisinart grinder that I got for christmas a few years back that Ill use for french press, but 90% if not more of my coffee habit is espresso.

Im wondering this. Right now Im using a delonghi machine, ec140b, Im not crazy about it, but for the 50 I got it for, its not so bad.  Lattes and cappas are passable, better then charbucks and DD, and taking off the PPF and going bottomless has helped a bit.  But soon I will be upgrading my machine(hopefully very soon, latest will be tax return day, so tops two months) to a gaggia baby.  Possibly the Baby class or baby twin.  I was looking at the espresso dose, but now I want something a little better.  The new baby is the least I will buy.  Followed by the Class and the twin, depending on wallet size and sales at WLL and such.  

Ok, knowing the machine Im using, and what I will be using, the Zass knee mill...  Capable for the gaggias?  I'm sure itll be fine for the delonghi, but will I be able to get a grind that is able to choke the gaggias I mentioned?  Money is somewhat tight, so manual is what Im lookin at, I dont mind grinding the beans myself, so thats not an issue.  Shot quality, fineness, consistency.  From what Ive heard im assuming it will be plenty capable for the gaggia, even if I go with the baby twin or classic even.  *But since Im about to buy, I needed to make myself feel better by asking the coffee gurus.  I know a SJ or a mini or even a rocky would be more effiencent, but effeicency is not my concern.  Quality and consistency of grinds and shots is.

Thanks ahead of time!!
Jeff

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
al_bongo

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Solis 166/Iberital MC2
Vac Pot: Cona
Drip: Chemex/Melitta
Posted Sun Feb 1, 2009, 9:30am
Subject: Re: If you own a Zass, or have experience with them...

Try doing a search on here and on Home-Barista. Many people have opinions on these mills, not all good.

I have a newer Zass knee miill. The grind consistency for Aeropress and filter is very poor. I have not used it for espresso I have an Iberital MC2 aka Nemox Lux for espresso.
 View Profile Link to this post
wfallon

Espresso: Vibiemme DoubleDomo Manual...
Grinder: Baratza Vario!
Vac Pot: Yama (broken..)
Drip: CCD
Roaster: Popcorn poppers!
Posted Sun Feb 1, 2009, 11:51am

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/grinders/405199

click here Check out this thread from earlier this week
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso

Posted Sun Feb 1, 2009, 3:54pm

I know, I was kind of worried about posting this because of my other thread, but I didnt really get a definitive answer on the newer zassenhaus mills.  So, Im sorry if posting this was somewhat redundant.  I like this site a lot, and I dont wanna be 'that' guy

Basically.. Is anyone using a new zass mill for espresso?  Like the 156?

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
al_bongo

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Solis 166/Iberital MC2
Vac Pot: Cona
Drip: Chemex/Melitta
Posted Sun Feb 1, 2009, 4:33pm

You are not going to get the "definitive answer" you seek on here. That would be somewhat beyond the scope of even this forum.

I do not know what Sweet Maria's returns policy is. Can you buy one and return it if it is not suitable? That's the only sure way I can think of  which would let you know if the Zass Knee Mill is right for you.
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso

Posted Sun Feb 1, 2009, 5:44pm

^^^ While buying and possibly returning is not my favorite, nor is it anyones... I most likely will do that.  Sweet marias sells a few models, definatly not all of them.  Below the grinders there are some FAQ's and it is stated in there that the grinders they have are capable for espresso.(It seems they use one for espresso, because of the comment on having it for three years used with burrs touching and not having any wear)

In my searching, here and the entire internet, it seems the knee mills are going to be fine for what Ill be using it for.  My Father and I are the coffee drinkers, so if the grinder is incapable, he'll know that "having to deal" wont be an option.  He'll probably want to return it before I will If its not good.  But like i said, from what I saw on HB and searching here and other sites, people who have the knee mills like them for espresso.  Ive seem them called the "santiago" model, and its the same as the 156(as far as I can tell)  BTW-Im going for the knee mill because Ive heard holding it between your legs makes it easier.  I like all the models sweet marias has, and based on the comments on the website, Id probably get any model.  Just thought Id let ya know :)

One thing is for sure, If the grinder is not capable for espresso, It will make one fancy paper weight!   80 plus shipping isnt bad when your looking at grinders in the 500-800 range.(which I do want, just don't have the $)

I think Ill be happy with it.  Ill probably be ordering sometime next week, so when it does arrive, Ill be sure to post as extensive of a review as I can, with pictures if I can find the camera.

Also, I agree maybe a straight definitive answer of "yes, the 156 will grind for this specific machine" is impossible in any way shape or form.  Everything is different.  Every bean is different.  So I do apoligize for that.  Also, My other thread, I was skeptical of this one, and again would like to apoligize if this thread seemed redundant.  Again, I like this community, its much more friendly, and way more knowledgeable then any of the other forums I belong to.  My apologies for being the NOOB. Its humbling when you've loved and brewed coffee for over a decade by yourself, to find out in a month that you've been using a grinder that is a joke and the coffee is undrinkable compared to the level produced by the members here. It does give one something to strive for, and already, my coffee experience has improved more then I thought was possible, So, fellow geeks, Thank you so very much for that!  I never like *$ and now I know why!!

Ok, enough suckin up on my part, time for a double shot.  Hmm.. Klatch belle espresso sounds good...

Thanks again geeks!  Ill keep updated on the Zass Knee mill.
Jeff

Follow Your Bliss

jliedeka
jliedeka

Grinder: Rocky Stainless
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor, heat gun
Posted Sun Feb 1, 2009, 9:22pm

I have a ton of experience with a Zass Turkish mill.  I use it as a travel grinder and used to take it to work a lot.  It's adequate for drip but I wouldn't expect a G-d shot with an espresso machine.  The larger mills have bigger burrs and may offer a more consistent grind.  However, if you want to brew decent espresso, don't dick around, get a Rocky or better.

Jim

Cafe todo el dia, tequila toda la noche
espressoed
espressoed

Espresso: Krups XP 4030 w/Non-P Basket
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Zassenhaus
Drip: Bodum Chambord Press
Roaster: Coffee Labs, Gimme!, CCC
Posted Sun Feb 1, 2009, 11:01pm

Your best option for a hand grinder that is guaranteed to grind consistently and fine enough for espresso is to get a used and lovingly restored and/or cleaned one from Orphan Espresso. They sold quite a few over the holidays so right now they don't have any available. Typically throughout the year they've got Zass, PeDe, KYM, and random other grinders that they test and certify for espresso. Check it out; you may prefer this route. New Zasses? It seems some grind fine enough for espresso and some do not; reported performance varies and you've got to actually buy one to find out.

E d  C u s t a r d
pseudo-barista

"...the extreme of banality allows us to catch a glimpse of the sublime." Umberto Eco
wfallon

Espresso: Vibiemme DoubleDomo Manual...
Grinder: Baratza Vario!
Vac Pot: Yama (broken..)
Drip: CCD
Roaster: Popcorn poppers!
Posted Mon Feb 2, 2009, 8:24pm

I can't agree with him more - I actually bought a mill from sweet marias. But, the grinder took a while to get here. 48 hours to place the order and 7 days UPS ground... Maine isn't a great location for most coffee related shipments. Anyway, a few days after I ordered it, orphan espresso pumped out a couple more hand grinders from their bench and I bought the bullet and got one. Returned the Zass to SM unused, per their return policy. I felt bad about returning it, but I really didn't have much confidence in the quality - not SM's fault of course. I had ordered 5 or 6 #s of coffee with it, so it wasn't a lost cause. The return went smoothly, and I couldn't speak more highly of the entire transaction. Summary - be patient and stalk the orphan espresso website, I havent seen 3 or 4 days go by the last month without them posting a new espresso grinder. Just my advice. Its acutally cheaper than a new zass, and its guaranteed to grind, and grind well.
farmroast
farmroast
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Strega,Cremina, MCAL...
Grinder: Majors, Dienes
Vac Pot: Hellem10
Drip: CCD, and more
Roaster: 1kg. DreamRoast
Posted Mon Feb 2, 2009, 9:52pm

Get an older grinder from Orphan. Only way to go. Way better build than new ones. Check my blog on handmills post(link below)
farm

Ed Bourgeois... LMWDP #167
please visit my blog
http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > If you own a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.256804943085)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+