Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Observations on Click Clack lids for Rocky
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Observations on...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
DrugOfChoice

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Vac Pot: Yama 5 Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, Clever...
Posted Wed Mar 12, 2008, 7:12pm
Subject: Observations on Click Clack lids for Rocky

I recently acquired a Rocky, and in my research on the forum found a lot of discussion of the Click Clack "mod", so I decided to try it. There seemed to be some differences of opinion about the correct lid to get, the one with the model number beginning with 2010, such as the .7Qt, or the one beginning with 3010, such as the .6 Qt. People have reported a lot of different experiences as far as which lids fit properly, with different posters reporting that both models did or didn't work for them, and even that different units of the SAME model worked or didn't.

I went to The Container Store, which carries Click Clack, and got one of each. The 2010 series appears to be from a line called "Accent" and the 3010 from a line called "Classic". The sign on the shelf at The Container Store listed the diameter of the 2010 Accent as 4 7/8" and the diameter of the 3010 Classic as 4 1/2". The two models can be seen in this post from a previous thread:

"Re: Flushing Rocky (Part II)"

The 3010 Classic is on the left and the 2010 Accent is on the right. The Classic certainly appears smaller in diameter than the Accent, and some people have reported that it fits too loosely. However, I discovered that only the diameter of the top section of the lids is different; the part that actually fits inside the cannister (or hopper) and creates the seal is EXACTLY the same size on both styles--the top of the 2010 Accent lid just overlaps the top of the container a little more. I not only compared a number of units of each style side by side, but interchanged Classic lids on Accent cannisters and vice versa. All fit and sealed perfectly. I noticed no variation whatsoever among individual units.

I didn't bring my Rocky's hopper to the store, so I decided to get one of each style and bring them home to test. Both fit and sealed on the Rocky perfectly. I tried pumping each one to clear leftover grinds and both worked well, but I prefer the 2010 Accent. First of all, it comes in a metallic "platinum" color, which costs a few dollars more but coordinates nicely with the Rocky's stainless steel. Second, I like the wider overlap of the top, which looks nicer to my eye. Most importantly, the shape of the grip on the Accent felt more natural when pumping the lid to clear grinds.

This brings me to a discovery about using the lid to clear grinds that I have not noticed in previous threads on the subject. If I just squeeze the handles and move the lid up and down, I do not get a really strong pumping effect. I get a much stronger pumping effect that works really well to blow out old grounds if I only squeeze the handles just enough to release the seal A LITTLE BIT, so the lid moves easily, but still maintains some tension against the sides of the hopper. I can definitely see how someone might try the Click Clack by  squeezing the handles all the way and decide that the lid is too loose and doesn't work very well. Finding the right touch on the handles makes all the difference in the world in the forcefulness of the pump.

Thanks to whomever first discovered this very useful addition to the Rocky and I hope people may find my observations helpful.

Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
 View Profile Link to this post
JeepinGeo

Espresso: Alex Duetto, Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer SJ (x2), Rocky DL
Posted Wed Mar 12, 2008, 8:31pm
Subject: Re: Observations on Click Clack lids for Rocky

Without a doubt - it's the number one Rocky mod.

I tried white, black and platinum and agree the platinum looks best. Still don't understand why it's a few dollars more than the white (and the black was even more!).

George

JeepinGeo: click clack.jpg
(Click for larger image)
pilgrim5
pilgrim5
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Salivatore
Grinder: Bunn/LPG & Macap M4
Vac Pot: Yamer/aeropress
Drip: Bunn VPR series
Roaster: Bred mach /heat gun and stir...
Posted Wed Mar 12, 2008, 8:37pm

Target stores are selling the click clack under a different name there called   Micheal Graves Design 0.6 qt.  Air tight canister.  Both the 3010 and the 2010 are listed by them as 0.6 qt!  You must flip the canister over and look at the click clack number on the bottom (it's molded into the plastic on the bottom).  There is where you will find the click clack numbers may have to move the sticker the store stuck on the bottom.  THE RIGHT ONE IS THE 2010 AND IT FITS THE BEST THE OTHER IS FAR TO LOOSE.  Not all Target stores have the same canister so even at target you may have to do some hunting i know i did in 3 different stores around here.

The cover is BLACK and silver grip handles looks like its made for the Rocky!  Its cost was $12.99.

Hope this helps
DrugOfChoice

Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Vac Pot: Yama 5 Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, Clever...
Posted Thu Mar 13, 2008, 5:05am

pilgrim5 Said:

THE RIGHT ONE IS THE 2010 AND IT FITS THE BEST THE OTHER IS FAR TO LOOSE.  

Posted March 12, 2008 link

My observation is that this is not really the case. The sealing mechanism that fits inside the hopper is exactly the same diameter on both styles and they fit interchangeably on either style of cannister as well as on the Rocky's hopper. The only difference in size is the top flange of the lid that overhangs the edge of the hopper/cannister, and this does not affect the seal at all. I agree that that the 2010 LOOKS better, and the shape of the handles makes it easier for me to apply the right amount of pressure to keep a good seal while pumping, yet still allow the lid to move up and down.

pilgrim5 Said:

The cover is BLACK and silver grip handles looks like its made for the Rocky!

Posted March 12, 2008 link

Black would probably look great--they didn't have black at The Container Store, but I do have a Target nearby.

Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
scalla

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E, Rocky DL
Vac Pot: Kirby
Drip: TV Moccamaster thermo
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Thu Mar 13, 2008, 7:59pm

Thanks to the OP for the detailed info. I just got a Rocky and this was to be my first mod. Now I know exactly what to look for.
linnysue
linnysue

Grinder: Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Drip: Krups Moka Brew
Posted Thu Jan 29, 2009, 9:26am

Thanks for the details on the Click Clack mod.  The Rocky is going to be my first purchase towards my espresso making adventure, so I'm really glad to learn some tricks of the trade.  You guys/gals are awesome!

Also, George, thanks for your photo of the setup.  The platinum color lid looks great.  I was wondering where you got that mini digital scale.  It fits perfectly in front of the Rocky.
linnysue
linnysue

Posted Fri Feb 6, 2009, 7:46pm

I ended up buying the wrong click clack canister at Target.  Now under a Michael Graves design.  It's all wrong.  It was the platinum top but in a .5 qt., so it fits loosely on my Rocky.  I cannot seem to find this particular .6 qt. click clack canister.  It has been difficult to find it online as well.  The only one I see online that comes close is this one---> Click Clack Platinum, but the smallest one they have listed is the .7 qt.  If any of you know where I can find the one George has in his photo, please let me know.  Our Target doesn't have it.

Found this on the Click Clack website: Click Clack Accents
I'm assuming it's the grey lid color, but again, the smallest size listed is .7 qt.  It does have the 2010 product code though.  Now, if I can just find a place to order it online.
linnysue
linnysue

Posted Sat Feb 7, 2009, 8:32am

The platinum Click Clack at the online container store here ---> Click Clack Platinum seems to be the correct one according to the dimensions.  The price is $9.99 but the shipping, ugh, is almost as much at $8.50.  Of course we don't have the Container Store in our state so I have to order this online.  

The container with the black top and silver handles is on sale: Click Clack Black

I figured if I'm going to pay $8.50 for shipping, I might as well order them both.  Only thing is the black one is back ordered till April.
linnysue
linnysue

Posted Thu Feb 12, 2009, 11:30am

I just received my Click Clack order from The Container Store today, and yes, this is the correct lid---> Click Clack Platinum .7 qt.  Although the item number doesn't indicate it online, it does have the 2010 stamp on the bottom of the container.  

I also ordered the black lid with silver handles.  I won't receive that one until April though.  Great company to do business with.  I highly recommend them.
tjkoko

Espresso: Bialetti Moka Pot
Grinder: Baratza Preciso and Turkish...
Drip: Meiltta filter with cone
Roaster: Whirlypop Stovetop Unit,...
Posted Sat Feb 28, 2009, 10:10am

I never realized that a simple lid could make such a difference in the grind quality and overall performance.  8^}
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Observations on...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.320611953735)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+