Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Mini Mazzer Doserless Conversion?
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Mini Mazzer...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
Biggles

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Giotto
Grinder: Mini Mazzer
Posted Sun Oct 4, 2009, 10:22pm
Subject: Mini Mazzer Doserless Conversion?

Is it possible to convert a Mini Mazzer to Doserless? I love the grinder but I always blind dose.
 View Profile Link to this post
SpeedStar
SpeedStar

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer Mini
Drip: Aeropress, Cuisinart
Posted Mon Oct 5, 2009, 9:29am
Subject: Re: Mini Mazzer Doserless Conversion?

Yes, you can convert it to doserless.  One option is the stainless funnel that is used on the Mini electronic.  You would need the funnel, backing plate and static guard.  It is expensive at around $200 but is possible.  There is also a bag spout option as well.  Check Espressoparts.com for more info and they sell all the parts for it.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Biggles

Posted Mon Oct 5, 2009, 2:00pm

Thank You. I have ordered the parts, I just hope it is a simple conversion for me with my limited mechanical expertise!
It should mean a lot less mess and no stale grinds left in the doser. The doser sprays particularly when blind dosing as it never has a full dosing chamber. The new one's are neat with the one button dose but I'm not prepared to spend that amount of money.
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Mon Oct 5, 2009, 2:26pm

It's more or less "plug-and-play",,, not to hard to put it on.

From the comments of owners of the Mazzer "E" models.. that "static grid" which goes over the exit chute seems to be 100% neccesary for static reduction and proper dosing... However, since yours wont have the electronic dosing, the main issue for you will be static control.

Post some picks once your all done!

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
SpeedStar
SpeedStar

Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer Mini
Drip: Aeropress, Cuisinart
Posted Tue Oct 6, 2009, 8:41am

I will be interested to hear how it works for you.  I had planned on going this route witht the funnel but got used to just sweeping the chute for each dose and using the doser for declumping.  Then I got a Vario and that is what I have been using now.
You might try it without the static shield first to see how it works without it.  This will allow you easy access to sweep the chute for each use but my cause static issues.  
Keep us posted on your project.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Biggles

Posted Thu Oct 15, 2009, 1:15am

It was not as easy as I thought however I'm very happy with the result. The grinder was automatic so after removing the doser I had to remove the switches. Here is the wiring taped up and ready to tuck in behind the backing plate.

Biggles: IMG_1991.JPG
(Click for larger image)
Biggles

Posted Thu Oct 15, 2009, 1:17am

The backing plate on.

Biggles: IMG_1992.JPG
(Click for larger image)
Biggles

Posted Thu Oct 15, 2009, 1:24am

I also had to remove the group head holder as there wasn't enough room above it. I couldn't experiment with the static screen as I found that I had to put it under the gasket.
Much better grinder for me now. It still sprays a little under the funnel but I don't waste as many beans and the grind is always fresh!

Biggles: IMG_1994.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Thu Oct 15, 2009, 2:12am

Biggles Said:

I also had to remove the group head holder as there wasn't enough room above it. I couldn't experiment with the static screen as I found that I had to put it under the gasket.
Much better grinder for me now. It still sprays a little under the funnel but I don't waste as many beans and the grind is always fresh!

Posted October 15, 2009 link

Hi.

You may have put the mesh screen in the wrong orientation - at least compared to my Mini-e and pictures of others I've seen. In all those cases, the mesh squares are positioned in the bottom left area of the outlet port, rather than the top right.  This may have something to do with the spraying you experience, if the velocity of the grinds isn't being sufficiently slowed.  Mazzer do seem to have been quite particular about the design of the screen, and its positioning is probably key to it working as intended.

Can't guarantee it would make any difference, but spraying is something I don't experience with my grinder.
kitt2000
kitt2000

Espresso: Lambro,
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Gene cafe
Posted Thu Oct 15, 2009, 11:54am

Hi Biggles.Did you order from espressoparts? what was the cost including shipping.I'm in NZ and interested in the total cost. Thanks
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Mini Mazzer...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.288427114487)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+