Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Cunill Tranquilo
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Cunill Tranquilo  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Lyvyo
Lyvyo
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ10
Grinder: Vario
Posted Thu Jun 24, 2010, 1:19am
Subject: Re: Cunill Tranquilo

Hello,

I have a little problem with my new Tranquilo!

I set a medium position for espresso grind using liquid paper. From initial coarse point is a distance of 20 clicks. I go finer only with the motor on.

This setting is ok for beans very good roasted. I make some good shots but I try it to improve the finesse for better results. I move the wheel just for one click, to 21 position (finer) and the my Tranquilo didn't grind anything , although the motor was working. The video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4xiafUYCc0

I return to step 20..nothing. I return to step 17..16..15..nothing. Finaly, on step 13 (I'm not sure) Tranquilo start it again to grind. With the motor on I set again the 21 position and after few second...you guessed it...the same problem!

So, I go coarse on the 12..13 position, I wait to grind something and I go finer to 20 position. All the things ok! On next start I go finer to 21 and surprise - my Tranquilo work again without problems!

It is normaly? I expected to go more finer, until my Gaggia Pure will drop, sign that I should reduce the finesse to obtain a perfect 25s shot. But Tranquilo fail too early. Is a classic problem for non stepless grinders?

*I see that this topic is posted in a wrong section, on espresso machines not in grinder section!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
wbaguhn
wbaguhn
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Ponte Vecchio Lusso
Grinder: Cunill Tranquilo, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Cory DR
Drip: Vietnamese gadget, AeroPress
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Thu Jun 24, 2010, 8:16am

Lyvyooo, how far are you from the fine end of the scale - where the burrs start to whine (or sing, or chirp) with no coffee?

I'm typically 3-6 clicks coarser than that point for my grind.  It looks like our clicks may be different sizes.
 View Profile Link to this post
Lyvyo
Lyvyo

Posted Thu Jun 24, 2010, 8:38am

Now is imposible to know this. I clean my Tranquilo (very messy after one month) and I don't know where to place 4 pieces (2pins and 2springs) - http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/9756/dsc0752w.jpg
I tried to put the spring then the pin in the small holes ( http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/1839/gauri.jpg ) but after screwing the upper burr (top grinding plate) I don't here any clicks. I guess that the pins and the springs are not in the right position.

SOLVED: the small holes is the place! I find the pieces scheme on Cunill website. First must to place the spring and after the pin, but with the the small side up.

@wbaguhn - From the point where the burrs make a strange noise (sign that is too close) I have 5..6 clicks and I have a sign on the 6 click. If I want to go finer with one click Tranquilo stop to grind and I hear only the motor sound.
wbaguhn
wbaguhn

Posted Thu Jun 24, 2010, 11:56am

I'll check more when I get home, but that sounds right - trying to go too fine, the coffee doesn't fit in and can not be ground.

You could try updosing - using more coffee - to slow down the extraction, rather than grinding finer.
JR
JR

Espresso: Old Coffee Gaggia (x2.5)
Grinder: Cunill Tranquilo
Drip: Bona Vita (Thermal)
Roaster: GG/UFO
Posted Thu Jun 24, 2010, 12:40pm

I suggested (in reply to your post to the Gaggia group) that the short (almost flat) hopper does not feed it well at finer grind settings.  I suggested that you try this without the hopper and see if the problem persists.  If it does, you will know it is not the hopper.

Jack

www.PainFreeComputing.com
http://www.GaggiaUsersGroup.com
www.IsuzuPup.com
Lyvyo
Lyvyo

Posted Thu Jun 24, 2010, 2:05pm

JR Said:

I suggested (in reply to your post to the Gaggia group) that the short (almost flat) hopper does not feed it well at finer grind settings.  I suggested that you try this without the hopper and see if the problem persists.  If it does, you will know it is not the hopper.

Jack

Posted June 24, 2010 link

Thanks,
I will try next time when Tranquilo stop working. For more accuracy of the operation I will record with my phone and I show here or on the Group the result.
I clean the grinder today and I want to see if the problems reappears.
wbaguhn
wbaguhn

Posted Thu Jun 24, 2010, 2:48pm

I just tried it with my pre-2008 design Tranquilo, with the short wide alien-spacecraft style hopper.... I had problems (no more grounds) as got within 2 steps of the burrs singing.  I had to widen it significantly (15+ steps) before coffee would come through again.

I do have the finger guard in, and I probably had less than 100g of beans in the hopper.  I'm running Red Bird right now, so it's not a particularly oily blend.
Lyvyo
Lyvyo

Posted Thu Jun 24, 2010, 3:07pm

Thanks wbaguhn for experiment.

Today I discover a difference between the grind adjustment sistems of Tranquillo:
Old machines (I don't know the year) have this sistem, with one pin/one spring: http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/5960/oldcunill.jpg
New grinders have this sistem, with two pins/two springs: http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/1839/gauri.jpg

Is a step difference between old and new model ?
wbaguhn
wbaguhn

Posted Thu Jun 24, 2010, 3:37pm

Lyvyo Said:

Is a step difference between old and new model ?

Posted June 24, 2010 link

I only have the old model; ship your grinder to me and I'll let you know.  (I am joking.)

I just counted mine; 54 steps around the adjusting ring.  From casual inspection of your pictures vs my machine, the carrier is probably the same thread pitch, so full turns would be equivalent.

I expect that you might have more steps per turn than I do.  I will further guess that there are an odd number of detent recesses on part #306 from document "CAFE TRANQUILO 2008" (Cunill Tranquilo parts diagram), and that those detent recesses are offset such that the two detent pins will alternately engage, doubling the number of steps from the number of detent recesses.
Lyvyo
Lyvyo

Posted Tue Jun 29, 2010, 1:57am

I make some experiments. Jack tell me on Gaggia group that the grinder seems to be defective.  :(

This is the (second) video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMD9gFSU-5E
The white point is the 3th point from touching position.

@ wbaguhn - From the touching momment, your Tranquilo grind in what point? On my video you will see that the first 3 position after the touch of burrs, are unfunctional. The first working point is 4, but not for a long period, because coffee grinder stops throwing.
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Cunill Tranquilo  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.315896987915)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+