Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Just about ready to order my grinder
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Just about ready...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
catasyne

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: LetLit PL53, Capresso...
Posted Sat Jan 15, 2011, 1:44pm
Subject: Just about ready to order my grinder

I just returned my barista breville express I got for christmas cause I couldn't get it to work right. After discovering this place I can it apparently wasn't a very good machine. After researching this and other websites, I ordered a gaggia classic to replace it and I am thinking of going for the Rocky for the grinder. I was going to get the gaggia MDF since that would be within the 600 dollar limit that I got back for returning the breville. But I kept thinking, the rocky is only $150 more... of course, the vario is only 130 more than that... but then the mazzer mini is only... but I had to stop myself and decided I would probably get the Rocky. Getting ready to order it now from whole latte love. Does this sound like a good setup? I am also considering the Tranquillo or LeLit PL53, would those be better?

with my breville I've mostly been drinking lattes but with better machines I would be drinking more straight espresso shots. I would mostly just drink one or two double shots in the morning and another one or two after work, maybe more on the weekend. The Rocky + Gaggia Classic is pretty much the most I can afford.

Thanks for all you do guys!  :)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sat Jan 15, 2011, 3:13pm
Subject: Re: Just about ready to order my grinder

catasyne Said:

I was going to get the gaggia MDF since that would be within the 600 dollar limit that I got back for returning the breville. But I kept thinking, the rocky is only $150 more...

Posted January 15, 2011 link

???

Gaggia MDF = $179.00

Rancilio Rocky = $359.00

Hmmmmm . . . looks like $180 to me . . . not that the extra $30 is a HUGE amount, but --

Cunill Tranquilo = $235.00

My choices:

1. Tranquilo
  2. MDF (and save for an eventual upgrade)
  3. Rocky (you'll need to save for an upgrade)

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
 View Profile Link to this post
ryguy

Espresso: Bezzera BZ02S
Grinder: Pharos, B. Vario
Posted Mon Jan 17, 2011, 8:09pm

Or go for the Mini Pro III or PL53. They're both stepless which is a very good feature for espresso that neither the Rocky nor the MDF offer.

Ryan D
mary12b

Expertise: Professional

Posted Wed Jan 19, 2011, 2:11am

Looks like that sound more interesting to me... I suggest you should use it for good!
tys

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Jan 20, 2011, 11:15am

ryguy Said:

Or go for the Mini Pro III or PL53. They're both stepless which is a very good feature for espresso that neither the Rocky nor the MDF offer.

Posted January 17, 2011 link

Hi,
I've been considering the PL 53, but understand that adjusting the grind settings is a very tedious process.
How does the MiniPro III compare? Could I switch between espresso grind and moka pot grind without too much hassle?
Thanks,
tys
jkoll42

Espresso: VBM DD V3, Gaggia Baby Class
Grinder: Cimbali Max Hybrid, Bunn...
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex
Roaster: Honey Badger 1K, HG/BM
Posted Thu Jan 20, 2011, 11:27am

Don't forget the stepless mod for the MDF is extremely easy to do and is fully reversable...
ryguy

Posted Thu Jan 20, 2011, 12:22pm

tys Said:

Hi,
I've been considering the PL 53, but understand that adjusting the grind settings is a very tedious process.
How does the MiniPro III compare? Could I switch between espresso grind and moka pot grind without too much hassle?
Thanks,
tys

Posted January 20, 2011 link

Adjusting the grind from espresso to a coarse grind like a press pot would be tedious. I'm not sure what kind of grind moka pots take. Stepless grinders are designed for espresso-only use.

The PL53 and Mini Pro III are nearly identical.

Ryan D
tys

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Jan 20, 2011, 12:33pm

ryguy Said:

Adjusting the grind from espresso to a coarse grind like a press pot would be tedious. I'm not sure what kind of grind moka pots take. Stepless grinders are designed for espresso-only use.

The PL53 and Mini Pro III are nearly identical.

I'm told that Moka is about halfway between espresso grind and drip grind.
So far I've only used pre-ground stuff, so I have no idea how big a difference that is in grinder settings.
The Vanelis site says the Mini Pro III is suitable for any grind, while 1st-line definitely recommends the PL53 for Espresso only. I wonder if the machines are different in terms of adjustability or these are just differences in what folks consider acceptable?

tys
ryguy

Posted Thu Jan 20, 2011, 5:31pm

tys Said:

I wonder if the machines are different in terms of adjustability or these are just differences in what folks consider acceptable?

Probably the latter. They have the same burr set, and I assume they have the same gearing for the worm drive adjustment, although that may well be a faulty assumption.

That grinder can probably do well for moka pot, but it will be difficult to keep track of the number of turns you've used to go from one to the other, and you'll need to keep track in order not to lose your espresso setting. If you do lose it, you have to dial it in again...

Ryan D
catasyne

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: LetLit PL53, Capresso...
Posted Thu Jan 20, 2011, 6:10pm

Thanks guys! I decided to go with the PL53 :) They are out of stock at 1st-line so I backordered it, should be here in a couple of weeks. My Gaggia Classic came yesterday, after only three days! Right now it's very pretty to look at but can't do anything yet without the grinder. Oh well, the wait will make the espresso taste that much sweeter :)
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Just about ready...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.318786859512)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+