Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Virtuoso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
Author Messages
bigtrumpet

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Feb 9, 2011, 8:12am
Subject: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso

Hi,

Has anyone tried this pretty new grinder? How would you compare it with others in same $300 to $450 price range, say, Vario or Rocky?

JT
 View Profile Link to this post
ge7243

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola;...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Bodum 3-cup press
Posted Wed Feb 9, 2011, 9:08am
Subject: Re: Baratza Virtuoso Precisio

I almost pre-ordered the Preciso for my first grinder, as it seemed like a decent "poor-man's Vario" at the time. But then I found a refurb'd Vario for 50 bucks more and didn't look back. Reading the very helpful Orphan Espresso review, though, seems to confirm that I would have been just as well off with the Preciso as the Vario.
mthedude

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Oscar
Grinder: La Spaziale Junior
Vac Pot: n/a
Drip: Cuisinart Grind & Brew
Roaster: n/a
Posted Wed Feb 9, 2011, 11:58am
Subject: Re: Baratza Virtuoso Precisio

I too have looked at this grinder very closely and it may be my next grinder. There are only 2 real reviews out there, one is by Orphan Espresso and the other is located on Baratza's website. The one on Baratza's website is a comparison of all their grinders by a 3rd party...as you can expect the Vario is the clear winner, the Precisio a close 2nd, followed by the Virtuoso, then the Maestro...so they followed the price point in order...but it does mention that the Precisio is a very capable espresso grinder now that the micro adjustments have been added and the press and drip grinds are on par, if not better than the Vario's. They upgraded the burr as I'm sure you've read and it has more effect on the course side of the grind, but but from everything I've read it grinds as well, if not better than the current class of $300 conical burr espresso only, stepless grinders from LeLit, Nemox, Vanellis, et all.

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on this grinder, but like you I don't want to be the first one to buy it. I was going to get the Vanellis Mini Pro 3 for almost the same money but something tells me the Precisio is going to be the better grinder based on the success of the Vario. Seems to me they have nailed the flat burr espresso grinder and now they are setting focus on the conical burr to compete with the LeLit, Nemox, Vanellis, etc...but that's just my 2 cents.
bigtrumpet

Posted Thu Feb 10, 2011, 12:59am
Subject: Re: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso

Last part of Orphan Espresso's review, this VP looks very promising.

This new grinder , we predict, will be getting some pretty high marks for press, drip,  vac pot,  AND espresso.   The new burr, the speed, the uniformity of grind, ease of use and cleaning, AND the price all make this a VERY good grinder.

I would love to hear more as an espresso grinder,  especially when compared with the ceramic burr Vario.

JT
bigtrumpet

Posted Fri Feb 11, 2011, 7:09pm

Hi,

Just found another comparison review with Virtuoso here.

Right now , it seems very clear that VP is top of the list using 40 mm conical burrs.

btw it has even more microsteps than Vario ( >400 vs 230 ) too

JT
sadams

Espresso: Expobar Lever
Grinder: Virtuoso Preciso
Roaster: air popper
Posted Sat Feb 12, 2011, 9:02pm

I bought one a couple months ago when the new burrs came out and have been completely happy with it.  It was part of a BIG upgrade from my old blade grinder and Sbux Barista.  I decided to take a chance and I was lucky.  With the micro adjustment there are at least 15 clicks I use in the narrow range for espresso.  I have been roasting my own so I am usually roaming around the dial with fresh beans.  Across the whole range there must be about 200 clicks between the the finest and the coarsest settings (20 big clicks with 10 more between each).  Admittedly I am pretty new to being geeked out but it seems to be perfect for me with my $1600 set up.  I like its size and hefty weight and had no desire for a 2 foot tall grinder.  I don't like the portafilter holder attachment and use the static free cup instead.  I measure the beans and dump in enough for a double and don't worry about the almost nonexistent dust.  I like the fact that the adjustments are manual instead of the Vario's  electronics.  The thought of a needing better grinder hasn't even crossed my mind...  

Steve
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
gmarrese91
gmarrese91
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90, Rancilio...
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Roaster: Turbo Crazy, Popcorn Popper...
Posted Wed Feb 23, 2011, 4:55am

Hey,

Question for steve: does the preciso you picked up only have 20 coarse adjustment settings? I wonder if they changed it now because the one i picked up yesterday has 40, as well as the 11 fine settings.. hmmmm...

In any case, like steve said its definitely very sturdy and grinds for a double shot in seconds.  I personally used the portafilter holder for my first few shots with it last night, but can see myself getting annoyed with it soon and just using the cup.

-Gianmarco
sadams

Espresso: Expobar Lever
Grinder: Virtuoso Preciso
Roaster: air popper
Posted Wed Feb 23, 2011, 8:14pm

Yes, you are right, the numbers go to 40 for the course settings with 11 in between each and I can't imagine needing more.  I grind into the static free cup and then shake and pour into the basket using a cut down yogurt cup as a funnel, stir and tamp and get great results...

Steve
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
morcoffee4me

Espresso: Expobar Office Control
Grinder: Bartatza Virtuoso Preciso,...
Posted Fri Feb 25, 2011, 12:36pm

I also own a Preciso and am very happy with it. I would also like to add that although it has 11 marked micro-settings you can always set the slide in between steps. So far mine seems to maintain it's grind consistency even between the steps. Therefore, for all intents and purposes Preciso is pretty much a stepless grinder. Not that 440 steps aren't enough already.
Koss

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Capresso Esspresso Pro
Grinder: Starbucks (Solis 75?)
Posted Wed Mar 9, 2011, 1:42pm

Mine just arrived yesterday.  I've been using Starbucks Barista cheapo grinder, so it may not be a good comparison, but the result has been awesome!  I'm using it to make espresso/latte using LeLit PL041QE. In the first run, I made it too fine (6-7) and couldn't get a drip out, but after adjusting to about 9-10, I am getting great results.  My wife definitely notices the difference.  The only issue is that I am trying to use it doserless and it spills the grind all over the place... Ordered canning funnel today!
showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Virtuoso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.227379798889)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+