Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
New Baratza Vario spitting ground coffee everywhere but in the Protafilter
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > New Baratza...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
JasonMcK
JasonMcK
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Fri Feb 18, 2011, 4:31pm
Subject: New Baratza Vario spitting ground coffee everywhere but in the Protafilter

Hi All,
 Just entering the world of espresso home brewing.  After some research I purchased today a Rancilio Silvia and Baratza Vario
All is good but the Vario.  About 1/2 way through the grind time (doesn't matter how long or short I set it) it starts to spit all the ground coffee on to the counter, missing the protafilter entirely.  Any thoughts on how I can fix this would be great?

Thanks
Jason
 View Profile Link to this post
randytsuch

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office with...
Roaster: Customized Alpenrost,...
Posted Fri Feb 18, 2011, 4:55pm
Subject: Re: New Baratza Vario spitting ground coffee everywhere but in the Protafilter

You can get one of these
Click Here (www.orphanespresso.com)

I have a ghetto version, a chopped up yogurt cup, and it works fine, but it does not look as nice.

Randy
JasonMcK
JasonMcK

Posted Fri Feb 18, 2011, 5:01pm
Subject: Re: New Baratza Vario spitting ground coffee everywhere but in the Protafilter

Thanks Randy but this is extreme spitting.  I'll try it and see if it cuts it down

J
JasonMcK
JasonMcK

Posted Fri Feb 18, 2011, 5:09pm

OK so I think I've reduced it enough to be happy.
I simply whipped the grind shoot out really well with a dry cloth.
it must have been a static charge or something

Thanks
J
Whale
Whale
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Vivaldi II, MCal, EP, Fiore...
Grinder: MXKR, K10 Fresh,Major,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex
Drip: Press only, I don't do drip!...
Roaster: Cafemino E and Poppery 1
Posted Sat Feb 19, 2011, 6:58pm

I believe that indeed it was an issue of static.

I have 2 B-Varios on my counter... I guess you can assume that I am biased.

The funnel from Orphan espresso is great and removes any spill over. If your situation of static continues, you may consider a tiny piece of wire between the P/F holder and the P/F hook to connect to the ground the P/F holder.

On one of my B-Vario I actually do not have the P/F holder installed. I still make sure that I make contact with the hook during the grind. It doesn't need to be constant.
Whale
Whale

Posted Sat Feb 19, 2011, 7:03pm

randytsuch Said:

I have a ghetto version, a chopped up yogurt cup, and it works fine, but it does not look as nice.

Randy

Posted February 18, 2011 link

I also have a ghetto version...  :-D  
It is an aluminium measuring cup on which I cut the bottom off and I pressed fit it in the P/F to give it the shoulder. Still it was not pretty and I indulged and got an OE version.
Endo
Endo

Espresso: machine is < important than...
Grinder: !
Posted Sat Feb 19, 2011, 7:22pm

Whale Said:

I also have a ghetto version...  :-D  
It is an aluminium measuring cup on which I cut the bottom off and I pressed fit it in the P/F to give it the shoulder. Still it was not pretty and I indulged and got an OE version.

Posted February 19, 2011 link

An old "drilled out" fondue burner cover works better than anything you can buy (and it has a handle).

Endo: DSC02120 (480x360) (400x300).jpg
(Click for larger image)
JasonMcK
JasonMcK

Posted Sat Feb 19, 2011, 7:27pm

Oh great now I have to drive around to garage sales looking for an old Fondue set LOL .  just joking

J
Whale
Whale

Posted Sat Feb 19, 2011, 7:46pm

Endo Said:

An old "drilled out" fondue burner cover works better than anything you can buy (and it has a handle).

Posted February 19, 2011 link

You know it is the handle that I really didn't like about the measuring cup. It made the thing unbalanced and it was tilting over all the time. I ended up cutting it away and it made it look so so.
jwoodyu
jwoodyu
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Sat Feb 19, 2011, 9:01pm

randytsuch Said:

You can get one of these
Click Here (www.orphanespresso.com)

Randy

Posted February 18, 2011 link

I to am a proud member of the ghetto funnel club.  I asked this very question not a month ago and got the same answer from Randy. My funnel arrived after I had been using the ghetto special. I picked up that big chunk of cool aluminum and went to put it on my toasty warm porta filter and instead through it straight in in the drawer. The ghetto special works great and does not have enough mass to cool off me porta filter, I like it. Besides there is just some justice in using a recycled bit garbage for a funnel and  Folgers can for a waste paper basket in the middle of all the expensive gear. ;0)

jwoodyu: duetto little.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > New Baratza...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.333172082901)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+