Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
virtuoso preciso vs rancilio rocky
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > virtuoso preciso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
drummer4gc

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Feb 21, 2011, 5:59pm
Subject: virtuoso preciso vs rancilio rocky

hey all,

i am new to the espresso game and still learning, so hopefully someone can help me with a little advice.

i found a great deal on a gaggia classic which i will likely be picking up soon. i have a kitchenaid proline grinder that i dont really like, and i know i'll need to upgrade to get some decent espresso results. i've been looking at both the baratza virtuoso preciso and the rancilio rocky.

i know the rocky is more established and has been around longer, while not many own the preciso yet so there are fewer people that can comment with firsthand experience. my guess is that most will say to go with the rocky for espresso, but i need a grinder that can do a wide range of grind size. i drink french press and drip coffee more often than i drink espresso, so i need to be able to do this. I've read that the rocky doesn't really get coarse enough for good press coffee - is this true? the preciso advertisements seem to suggest that they've put extra attention into the coarse side of the spectrum so that it can do excellent press. anyone have any experience with this?

thanks so much,
matt
 View Profile Link to this post
gmarrese91
gmarrese91
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90, Rancilio...
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Roaster: Turbo Crazy, Popcorn Popper...
Posted Wed Feb 23, 2011, 4:48am
Subject: Re: virtuoso preciso vs rancilio rocky

Hey matt,

The gaggia classic will easily become a machine you love, especially if you got a good deal on it.  Its one of those that just works.  My old one heated up very quickly and worked well until the boiler went.. 15 years later! Now on to your question..

I just picked up a Baratza Virtuoso Preciso yesterday, and I have to say I absolutely love it.  While i have not tried grinding for french press, I can tell you it will definitely grind for Turkish (if you're into that).  I'll give french press a try later on today and let you know.  But im sure you wouldnt be disappointed by it - its a very well built machine.  I love how quickly and evenly it grinds also, giving excellent consistency.  And although its not stepless, it does have 440 settings so im sure you can find one that works well.

Be sure to check some product videos and reviews out there to get a better idea of how it works.

-Gianmarco
gime2much

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni, Astoria comm, 2...
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip, Bunn...
Drip: Bunn comm
Roaster: Popcorn popper (air),co/ufo
Posted Wed Feb 23, 2011, 10:19am

gmarrese91 Said:

Hey matt,

The gaggia classic will easily become a machine you love, especially if you got a good deal on it.

Posted February 23, 2011 link

Here is one at Best Buys.

Dan Brewer
gmarrese91
gmarrese91

Posted Wed Feb 23, 2011, 2:34pm

Not bad.  I'd say keep your eye on ebay / craigslist also, as they always have crazy deals.  I snagged a New (store model) Gaggia Pure for $82 shipped.  Great deals are able to be found every once in a while
drummer4gc

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed Feb 23, 2011, 2:51pm

Thanks, i picked up a used Classic for $150 the other night. Looks to be in good condition and used very sparingly according to the seller. I think I'm going to take it apart to make sure its not scaled, but it seems to be in fine condition though. One thing: the steam wand seems fairly loose and wiggly. The nut is screwed on tightly, so is this just how the wand is?

I'll pick up a preciso today and get my new toy going! Thanks for the advice guys.

-Matt
gmarrese91
gmarrese91

Posted Wed Feb 23, 2011, 3:15pm

Very cool, hope you enjoy it!  Let us know how your shots come out
clivecoffee

Expertise: Professional

Posted Thu Feb 24, 2011, 10:53am

If a range of grind settings is what you're going for, the Preciso is definitely the way to go. The Rocky can get coarse, but it's not really designed to adjust easily between settings as broad as espresso to french press. The Preciso will be your best bet for easily repeatable, high quality grinds for any brew method. Let us know how it goes!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Thu Feb 24, 2011, 11:14am

clivecoffee Said:

If a range of grind settings is what you're going for, the Preciso is definitely the way to go.

Posted February 24, 2011 link

Agreed.

The Rocky can get coarse, but it's not really designed to adjust easily between settings as broad as espresso to french press.

Sure it is Mark!, what's so hard about it? It's mainly an espresso grinder first, but I used my Rocky for 9 years for French press too. Push down the indexing lock arm & hold, & for me adjust upward/larger from say an 11 to number 28 & release the arm to lock & takes a second or two., couldn't be simpler..

The Preciso will be your best bet for easily repeatable, high quality grinds for any brew method.

Absolutely! {;-)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Dooglas
Dooglas
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Vibiemme Junior
Grinder: Ascaso, Baratza
Drip: Bonavita, Bodum press
Roaster: GeneCafe, Behmor
Posted Sun Feb 27, 2011, 10:54am

How did you narrow your search to the Preciso and the Rocky? Neither is a particular bargain or "the pick of the litter", in my opinion. The Preciso is an upgraded, and expensive, Virtuoso. The Rocky is an older design that is overpriced compared to its competition. If you are looking for a bargain, several other grinders offer better results for the money (many discussion threads on CG). If you are looking for performance, add a few dollars and look at a Vario or one of the small Mazzers.
clivecoffee

Expertise: Professional

Posted Tue Mar 22, 2011, 4:13pm

I see your point about the adjustability of grind settings on the Rocky. Our Rocky, when it's calibrated for espresso in the 5-12 range (or so) doesn't get coarse enough for french press until you crank it up to about 40. At that point the inconsistency of the grind particle size is...considerable. Also, adjusting the Rocky back from there down to the espresso range requires about 20g of coffee on your countertop and three hands to make the switch while the grinder is running.

-Nunzi
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > virtuoso preciso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.271433830261)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+