Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Versalab Grinder: Anyone here who bought one but doesn't really like it?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Versalab...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
roccoincalifornia

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Apr 6, 2011, 8:37am
Subject: Versalab Grinder: Anyone here who bought one but doesn't really like it?

NT
 View Profile Link to this post
EricC
EricC
Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: Versalab M3
Roaster: Quest M3
Posted Wed Apr 6, 2011, 9:16am
Subject: Re: Versalab Grinder: Anyone here who bought one but doesn't really like it?

I have had mine for four years and love it.
wcmocha
wcmocha

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Nemox Lux
Drip: Keurig
Posted Mon Apr 11, 2011, 6:42pm
Subject: Re: Versalab Grinder: Anyone here who bought one but doesn't really like it?

I'm curious to hear if anyone doesn't like it.  My guess is no, however I hope someone absolutely hates it...  So I can buy it off them cheap.

BTW, they are manufactured up the road from me.
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Apr 11, 2011, 7:12pm

A guy who once was a moderator here had poor experiences with his, and I also know of more than one other person who will not post about it because they want to avoid online flame wars.  Jim has been vocal, and here are some links to pertinent threads.

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Eiron
Eiron

Espresso: Quick Mill 0930
Grinder: Quick Mill 031,...
Drip: TechniVorm KBTS
Roaster: Behmor 1600, Presto Poplite
Posted Thu Apr 14, 2011, 12:12pm

wcmocha Said:

... I hope someone absolutely hates it...  So I can buy it off them cheap. ...

Posted April 11, 2011 link

... but I doubt if Jim is ever going to let his go; he seems too intent on maintaining his grudge! LOL

Of course, if you sift thru his initial comments, he thought it was the best grinder on the planet! Such is the fickle world of the "professional" reviewer, I guess...

"Just what I need - another 'geek' label..."
- my friend Mark, on being told of Coffee Geek's existence

Good, affordable espresso: www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/355707
Coffee's hot enough for OCD: www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/330079
Personal & global health: http://www.broomfieldenterprise.com/ci_12802509
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Thu Apr 14, 2011, 2:11pm

The way I read it was Jim was Versalab's biggest fan; he developed some problems with the grinder and ran into unbelievable rudeness from the company. That would sour anyone.

I experienced this rudeness first hand at a SCAA show. I couldn't believe how these people were at their booth. I asked for a demonstration, ready to report on it for a show report, and was shocked, frankly, at the responses. First time I met them; last time I ever wanted to interact with them.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
bamaster

Espresso: Rocket R58 v2
Grinder: Mahlkonig ProM
Posted Thu Apr 21, 2011, 5:27pm

MarkPrince Said:

The way I read it was Jim was Versalab's biggest fan; he developed some problems with the grinder and ran into unbelievable rudeness from the company. That would sour anyone.

I experienced this rudeness first hand at a SCAA show. I couldn't believe how these people were at their booth. I asked for a demonstration, ready to report on it for a show report, and was shocked, frankly, at the responses. First time I met them; last time I ever wanted to interact with them.

Mark

Posted April 14, 2011 link

That just breaks my heart to hear.  I really like this design and would love to own one.  But this makes me want to consider looking elsewhere.  

:(

Tony | Houston, TX
Newbie. Don't you judge me!
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Thu Apr 21, 2011, 6:57pm

bamaster Said:

That just breaks my heart to hear.  I really like this design and would love to own one.  But this makes me want to consider looking elsewhere.  

:(

Posted April 21, 2011 link

I suggest you call the company and address the concerns posted here and see what their responses are.

Additionally, you may wish to see if any updates have been made to their grinders to address any issues customers may have had.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
bamaster

Espresso: Rocket R58 v2
Grinder: Mahlkonig ProM
Posted Thu Apr 21, 2011, 8:22pm

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

I suggest you call the company and address the concerns posted here and see what their responses are.

Additionally, you may wish to see if any updates have been made to their grinders to address any issues customers may have had.

Len

Posted April 21, 2011 link

Yes, that is a good idea.  I don't want a clackity clacker and the M3 looks like it would take care of much of my dosage/distribution woes.  And it has a nice footprint.

Tony | Houston, TX
Newbie. Don't you judge me!
LATrapp

Espresso: Alex II Duetto, Silvia
Grinder: Versalab V3
Drip: Press
Roaster: Local
Posted Thu Apr 21, 2011, 10:07pm

Good advice from CoffeeRoastersClub. Personally, I've had nothing but great performance from the grinder. The bonus being that in my mind it is truly a piece of functional art.

The only negligible downsides are the increased noise (that I don't mind and I would rather have than change the design with some sort of insulation), and the occasional 'pop-corning' of beans jumping out of the intake. Also not a big deal to me and something that I have solved with a simple cutout of cardboard.

I don't use the included scale sticker and instead use pencil marks to record settings and ideal areas for different roasts. I love the pencil marks and the ease of wiping and re-scribbling.

Call the owners and talk to them. It is a true mom 'n pop shop and you will get either the husband or wife and not some PR team or phone jockey. If they have been rude in the past or the future then that is sad, but I would happily let them shout me down for one of their grinders ;)

I also recommend getting the portafilter holder.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Versalab...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.308624982834)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+