Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
KitchenAid Proline grinder w/mazzer mini burrs
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > KitchenAid...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
SpromoSapiens
SpromoSapiens
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Riviera Eagle, '91 Livietta,...
Grinder: Vario, KA ProLine, Sozen...
Drip: Clever, V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed May 4, 2011, 9:27pm
Subject: Re: KitchenAid Proline grinder w/mazzer mini burrs

untrue burr mount -- you mean the probably-warped spinning burr carrier? Could there possibly be a partial-micro-shim solution to that, forgoing the lathe? A shred of foil under 6 o'clock, perhaps...

Threads vs micro-adjustability: This is an issue I knew I'd be settling for, to some extent, no matter what, as any grinder that occupies precious kitchen-counter real estate right now is going to have wear several hats; my girlfriend's pour-over, the occasional press pot, my beloved aeropress, and of course the 'spro. In my price range, I knew that kind of versatility would mean fat threads. I'm sure once it's been zeroed and the dial's been etched with a few indications thereabouts, whatever little increments I can muster will suffice for a decent daily double or two on my modest machine.
 View Profile Link to this post
gime2much

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni, Astoria comm, 2...
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip, Bunn...
Drip: Bunn comm
Roaster: Popcorn popper (air),co/ufo
Posted Wed May 4, 2011, 11:05pm

SpromoSapiens Said:

untrue burr mount -- you mean the probably-warped spinning burr carrier? Could there possibly be a partial-micro-shim solution to that, forgoing the lathe? A shred of foil under 6 o'clock, perhaps...

Posted May 4, 2011 link

I suppose you could try it but why halfass something?

Dan Brewer
SpromoSapiens
SpromoSapiens

Posted Thu May 5, 2011, 6:43am

Just in the absence of a lathe, I'm sayin'... $.05 of foil vs $500 piece of shop equipment (or the search for access to one) -- Not necessarily a half-assing, but a stop-gap, just a way to make do. If pure handiwork fun or curiosity were the sole motivation, I'd agree to half-assing nothing, but in my case, it's ultimately a thriftiness drive with limited resources. If there's a workable short-cut to the sweet spot, at this juncture I'm bound to take it. I'm hoping the Proline with mods is a financial shortcut to a ballpark proximity of MM-quality grind.
SpromoSapiens
SpromoSapiens

Posted Wed May 18, 2011, 1:25pm

Making some headway on this... Mr. Gime2much, hope you're still interested...

I've got my ProLine, did the factory recommended "espresso adjustment" and one of the popular stepless mods (inverting the stops and teflon'ing the threads for tightness & burr stability). I'm happy with the progress in the grind so far. My espresso machine has been on the fritz (parts should arrive shortly) so I haven't been able to test it for espresso quality, although I have been using it with the aeropress, for which I favor a considerably fine grind. One of the advantages of the aeropress is its efficacy in examining the grind through the distinct layering of the puck after brewing. I can see it's still quite inconsistent as compared to my hand-grinder, but the fineness is reasonable and the fines are minimal. So far, so good!

Got a great deal on an old Craftsman rotary tool and just need the right bit in order to start spittin' sparks, although I thought I'd check in again before doing anything irreversible. There's no need to flatten the burr-centering bevel right now as I'm not yet swapping the burrs, but I'm thinking about the "shoulder reduction" we were talking about before. When I "zero" the stock burrs according to KA instructions, I hear a rhythmic zing-zing-zing sound; I figure if the burrs were actually touching it would be a more consistent sound, so I imagine what I'm hearing is the sound of those shoulders rubbing something at the back of the chamber before the burrs can actually touch. And, just to be totally clear, by shoulders I mean the two things protruding from the spinning carrier on the outer edge of the burr plate... Yes? So, if I can shave those puppies down by a couple mm apiece, it would allow for true zeroing of the stock burrs, and therefore some serious powder fineness, yes?

I noticed in your update from last year you mention a 1/16" reduction in the auger in order to zero the MM burrs after the transplant. Do you think an auger reduction would be beneficial to me at this stage as well?

SpromoSapiens: KAprolineAuger.jpg
(Click for larger image)
gime2much

Posted Wed May 18, 2011, 4:30pm

You might be heading into the danger zone. Mazzer burrs (most burrs actually) have a flat area that will touch before the "teeth" will which allow zeroing with no damage. The Kitchenaid burrs do not. If those burrs touch while running, I think you are inviting disaster.

The wipers (ears) are ok as they are. Its the shoulder on the tail end of the auger where it inserts into the drive that bottoms out.

Dan Brewer
SpromoSapiens
SpromoSapiens

Posted Wed May 18, 2011, 6:42pm

Ah. Dang good thing I asked. Does that mean I'm off-base with my interpretation of the stock "zero" sound, then?
And -- the shoulder... are we actually talking about the notch that I've circled below? (Not the ears, and not the very tip of the auger where the spring sticks out)?

I suppose the idea here is also to be especially conservative and careful in deciding on how much to shave off of wherever, in order to let the burrs come closer, but not too close...

SpromoSapiens: shoulder.jpg
gime2much

Posted Wed May 18, 2011, 7:32pm

Just south at the last bit of the auger. Look close and you will see that the auger is aluminum and the shaft is stainless(?). I took off ~1/16 of the aluminum. Color one of the burrs with a magic marker and if the burrs do touch, the mark will be gone at that point. The ones I modified never showed signs of touching, only the point of the auger that I removed.

Dan Brewer
SpromoSapiens
SpromoSapiens

Posted Wed May 18, 2011, 7:59pm

I see. So, I'm targeting the bit now circled below -- that very last bit of the aluminum curl? This will allow the whole assembly to seat more deeply into the grind chamber? Is it necessary to do it in a way that smoothly diminishes the new ending point of the auger's curl so as to resemble the original pattern, or does it matter if the end is left kinda rough/sudden?

Thanks for the magic marker tip. That's brilliant. If it turned out I removed too much and the burrs were actually able to make contact, this wouldn't be the end of the world, though, right? I'd just have to be careful never to allow it to happen in the course of regular use and adjustments to the grind...

SpromoSapiens: auger shoulder.jpg
gime2much

Posted Wed May 18, 2011, 8:08pm

Yep. that's the spot and the reason. Can't say about the cut as I used a lathe.

If you cut off too much and it causes you grief, adding small washers to build it back out might work.

Dan Brewer
Glenn66

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Feb 6, 2012, 4:45am

I have the KA artisan 5KCG100, will this mazzer mod work on this model?
showing page 5 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > KitchenAid...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.285670995712)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+