Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Zassenhaus Guatemala
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Zassenhaus...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
ggcadc
ggcadc
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: QM Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer mini E, Virtuoso,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3 cup
Drip: All of them
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Aug 16, 2011, 9:24am
Subject: Zassenhaus Guatemala

I saw one in a new (really good) coffee shop in encinitas, and I was curious about it and asked what the strange cube looking mill was and when they said zassenhaus made it, I was astonished. I dont particularly like the ancient styling of most of the zass mills, and I dont need another tall mill, but this little bruit is hard to come by... the only place I can find it is at blacksmith roastery and they seem to be the only US importers and they are out of stock, dont snipe one before me!

couple questions, anyone have one? anyone know another source? anyone know if this is a german mill(the one I held had made in germany stamped on it), I read somewhere that they are making some of the zass stuff in china and it's not as good/german.

I'll post up a review of this if no one has one or knows anything once I get one, whenever that will be.
 View Profile Link to this post
ggcadc
ggcadc

Posted Wed Aug 17, 2011, 9:04am
Subject: Re: Zassenhaus Guatemala

Click Here (blacksmithcoffee.com)

Blacksmith called and said they are getting a shipment in today or tomorrow of these. Last time they sold out in a couple weeks, my order is in so have at it.
farmroast
farmroast
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Strega,Cremina, MCAL...
Grinder: Majors, Dienes
Vac Pot: Hellem10
Drip: CCD, and more
Roaster: 1kg. DreamRoast
Posted Wed Aug 17, 2011, 9:09pm

]

ggcadc Said:

Click Here (blacksmithcoffee.com)

Blacksmith called and said they are getting a shipment in today or tomorrow of these. Last time they sold out in a couple weeks, my order is in so have at it.

Posted August 17, 2011 link

How much are they? Wonder what the burr collar is like. No plastic I hope.

Ed Bourgeois... LMWDP #167
please visit my blog
http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Aug 18, 2011, 12:28am

Zassenhaus is a German company famous for their high quality hand mills. They manufacture another espresso grinder called Santiago. If you can't get it in the U.S., you might order it from Amazon.de.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
ggcadc
ggcadc

Posted Sat Aug 20, 2011, 2:17pm

They're $105. That's why I'm jumping on it

I don't know about the carrier, I can't imagine it being plastic, I'll post more photos once I get one
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sat Aug 20, 2011, 2:43pm

NobbyR Said:

Zassenhaus is a German company famous for their high quality hand mills. They manufacture another espresso grinder called Santiago. If you can't get it in the U.S., you might order it from Amazon.de.

Posted August 18, 2011 link

Just an addendum to your post.  Zassenhaus is a German company that USED to be famous for their high quality hand mills.  I was saddened when I heard they went to the Chinese for their manufacturing.  Same with Bialetti.  It'll come back to bite them on the ass, just like here in the U.S.

Go to a coffee shop in the 50's in the U.S. and everything around you was 100% made in the U.S.A., except for the espresso machine (made in Italy).  The chairs, fixtures, all the coffee cups and other trinkets, made in the U.S.A.  Go to coffee shop now (Starbucks as an example), and EVERYTHING is made in China!  The chairs you sit on, the light fixtures, the exit sign, the wall hangings, the counter top, all the cups and other coffee supplies you can buy, etc. blah blah blah, all made in China.  Maybe the espresso machines are made in Switzerland?

Somethings wrong with this picture. Gets in my craw big time.

Ok, end of rant.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Sat Aug 20, 2011, 8:48pm

ggcadc Said:

They're $105. That's why I'm jumping on it

I don't know about the carrier, I can't imagine it being plastic, I'll post more photos once I get one

Posted August 20, 2011 link

At least the Santiago is not made of plastic but wood (casing) and steel (burrs and handle). It's very sturdy. They give a 25-year-warranty on the grinding gear.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Sat Aug 20, 2011, 8:52pm

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

Just an addendum to your post.  Zassenhaus is a German company that USED to be famous for their high quality hand mills.  I was saddened when I heard they went to the Chinese for their manufacturing.  Same with Bialetti.  It'll come back to bite them on the ass, just like here in the U.S...

Posted August 20, 2011 link

Actually didn't know that. They're based in Solingen. It says nothing of that sort on their homepage.

ggcadc
ggcadc

Posted Fri Aug 26, 2011, 9:57am

Hooray! I just got a phone call from Blacksmith, incredible service even though I havent spent a dime there (as of the phone calls), and they just got their Zassenhaus shipment in from Germany. These are not Chinese made mills, Mark told me that only specific mills are being made in china, mainly the lower end models they are introducing to compete with the cheaper ceramic burr mills on the market.

I will post photos and a review mid next week when it arrives.
ggcadc
ggcadc

Posted Wed Aug 31, 2011, 9:30am

alright, it has arrived, only slightly disappointed to find that there is a bit of plastic(everything under the shell) in this grinder. here are some links to my photos of the grinder:

Click Here (www.flickr.com)

So there you have it folks, I'll be grinding on this for a while i'm sure, even though there is plastic, I'm sure the quality of the grind is very high, I have only ground one pourover and i'm still trying to get the thing tuned in.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Zassenhaus...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.340982198715)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+