Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Baratza Virtuoso Preciso - Not Grinding Fine Enough
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Virtuoso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
cracker23

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed May 9, 2012, 10:50pm
Subject: Re: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso - Not Grinding Fine Enough

Had my second issue with the preciso today.  

My grinder was doing fine then started to degrade with the grind size becoming more and more coarse on the same setting.  When I investigated, I see that the upper burr ring (the white plastic and metal piece) has cracked all the way through.  Not sure if this is causing the problem or not, but it can't be good!

Maybe it's time to consider another grinder?  Just not happy with the plastic internals of the adjustment mechanism.
 View Profile Link to this post
Sam21

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Thu May 10, 2012, 4:24am

cracker23 Said:

Had my second issue with the preciso today.  

My grinder was doing fine then started to degrade with the grind size becoming more and more coarse on the same setting.  When I investigated, I see that the upper burr ring (the white plastic and metal piece) has cracked all the way through.  Not sure if this is causing the problem or not, but it can't be good!

Maybe it's time to consider another grinder?  Just not happy with the plastic internals of the adjustment mechanism.

Posted May 9, 2012 link

There was a lot of discussion on the white upper burr holder. Give Baratza call and they can explain why something like this cracks, but there is a reason. I believe it has something to do with it being a fail safe to protect the burrs... or something like that. A broken upper burr holder will give you an inconsistent grind.

Click Here (www.baratza.com)
cracker23

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat May 12, 2012, 8:55am

@sam21

you're right about the upper burr ring...it's a fail safe that cracks in case of a rock or some such.  I am switching to a Vario.  Not happy with the preciso plastic innards, but you can't deny how great their customer service is.
Sam21

Posted Sat May 12, 2012, 10:41am

cracker23 Said:

@sam21

you're right about the upper burr ring...it's a fail safe that cracks in case of a rock or some such.  I am switching to a Vario.  Not happy with the preciso plastic innards, but you can't deny how great their customer service is.

Posted May 12, 2012 link

Absolutely. I had issues with my oldest Preciso soon after purchasing it. Baratza made sure that I received a fully updated unit and it works perfectly and has for months. I only grind for manual pour over and press coffee so I don't utilize the espresso range.

They were always honest about any issues that were present and communicated what had been changed and why it had been changed. It would seem that many of the issues that have been addressed in this thread by users and by Baratza are largely coming to the surface because of the heavy espresso usage that this grinder has seen. In the same vein, the last I heard, most recent models with full updates have been been displaying any of the same issues, so hopefully they have all been taken care of. My adjustment mechanism feels and looks solid.
Gig103

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: French press!
Posted Sun May 13, 2012, 10:27pm

You are lucky that your fully updated unit is working. I am on my third Preciso, guaranteed that the newest one has the updated top ring and the adhesive, but I still get drip out of the 1 and 2 macro settings. It's 15 second espresso. So I followed the calibration guide, and put my screw in the furthest right hole on the finest window, to no avail.

Colin has been upfront about what repairs they've made, but after trying everything they've had me do, I'm at my wits end.
Sam21

Posted Mon May 14, 2012, 4:34am

Gig103 Said:

You are lucky that your fully updated unit is working. I am on my third Preciso, guaranteed that the newest one has the updated top ring and the adhesive, but I still get drip out of the 1 and 2 macro settings. It's 15 second espresso. So I followed the calibration guide, and put my screw in the furthest right hole on the finest window, to no avail.

Colin has been upfront about what repairs they've made, but after trying everything they've had me do, I'm at my wits end.

Posted May 13, 2012 link

That sounds like a strange issue. It is definitely frustrating when a grinder is simply not working, especially you have gone through a couple replacements.

As I said, I don't use my Preciso for espresso so I am typically grinding in the 17-24 range for drip. In testing the grinder for the point at which my burrs begin to touch, I was at about 5-6. I would assume that my espresso grind would start right around there.

It almost sounds as if it is a problem with the calibration screw and the calibration ring that sits between the micro ring and macro ring on the adjustment mechanism. I'm not sure what could be going wrong, but it seems that the calibration is a bit funky.

I am sure Baratza will make it right with whatever you choose to do. Good luck!
samwf

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Posted Fri May 18, 2012, 9:16pm

Man this is getting me down.  I'm having similar issues: Preciso set on 0A and still grinding way too coarse for a decent shot with a Silvia. Fresh ass beans too.  Funny, I heard nothing but great things about Baratza and the Preciso in the lead up to my purchase, but now I'm thinking I should have got the Vario.

I emailed Baratza today, but if the replacement machine is just going to continually fail on me then thats a downward spiral I'm not looking forward to.  Has anybody had a positive experience with this problem?  Has anyone had this issue resolved?  I'm wondering if I can barter with Baratza and pay for an upgrade to a Vario.  Sheesh y'all.
sherpakid

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Quickmill Silvano
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Chemex, Aeropress, Clever...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon May 21, 2012, 8:16am

Samwf - have you tried recalibrating the machine? Baratza's website has a step by step tutorial on how to do it. I recalibrated mine and had to glue the adjustment ring , but it's been great after that. I now have my set on 6C for an espresso grind.

www.nobletreecoffee.com
Gig103

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: French press!
Posted Mon May 21, 2012, 9:50am

samwf Said:

Man this is getting me down.  I'm having similar issues: Preciso set on 0A and still grinding way too coarse for a decent shot with a Silvia. Fresh ass beans too.  Funny, I heard nothing but great things about Baratza and the Preciso in the lead up to my purchase, but now I'm thinking I should have got the Vario.

I emailed Baratza today, but if the replacement machine is just going to continually fail on me then thats a downward spiral I'm not looking forward to.  Has anybody had a positive experience with this problem?  Has anyone had this issue resolved?  I'm wondering if I can barter with Baratza and pay for an upgrade to a Vario.  Sheesh y'all.

Posted May 18, 2012 link

Sam, the replacement from Baratza should be much better construction but may still be too coarse. In that case follow the tutorial on recalibrating that sherpakid linked above. Or, ask the person at Baratza if they can do it for you before they ship it out?
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Virtuoso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.301744937897)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+