Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Espresso only grinder
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Espresso only...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
slim4511
slim4511
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue May 22, 2012, 7:36am
Subject: Espresso only grinder

Hi forum,

I am new to the forum and to the world of espresso for that matter.  I would like some help deciding on an espresso only grinder.  I do not yet have an espresso machine as I am taking the advice of many and determining the right choice for the grinder first and then moving on to the decision of the machine afterwards.  That said, what would be your advice for an espresso only grinder in the under $800 USD range?  Your comments are appreciated.
 View Profile Link to this post
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Tue May 22, 2012, 8:19am
Subject: Re: Espresso only grinder

This is a difficult question to answer, just because there are SO many right answers within the bound of espresso grinder up to $800. Do you have any any size restrictions or are you concerned about the appearance? Are you worried about it being loud? Are you willing to put some work into it?

If these are really your only prerequisites, I would suggest one of the Mazzers. You can find a used Super Jolly in the $300 range and you can get a brand new one in the $600s. If you're a bit more concerned about counter profile, the Mini will fit under the cabinets just fine and you can get that about $100 cheaper. you can probably even find a used SJ doserless if you looked around a bit. There are plenty of other options, though.

Happy sipping,
-Dave-
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Tue May 22, 2012, 8:25am

I would recommend a stepless grinder, no matter what. With your budget you ought to be able to find a more than capable grinder. Here are some suspects (in alphabetical order):

Baratza Preciso: $299  (actually not stepless, but with 440 settings virtually stepless)
Baratza Vario: $449 (not stepless either, but with more than 200 settings also virtually stepless)
Compak K3-touch: $530
MACAP MC4: $549
MACAP M4: $629
Mazzer Super Jolly: $695
Mazzer Mini-E: $799
Nuova Simonelli MCI: $700

Check them out on consumer reviews, for example.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
slim4511
slim4511

Posted Tue May 22, 2012, 8:44am

Thanks for replies.  I do have some space restrictions (should have mentioned earlier).  The set up will need to go under counter of which I have only 17.5 inches.  Good looks is a preference but quality of the grinder is certainly more important.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue May 22, 2012, 8:58am

NobbyR Said:

I would recommend a stepless grinder

Posted May 22, 2012 link

I agree, but some stepped grinders, such as indicated below have such fine steps it doesn't seem to matter

All of the following will fit under a standard kitchen cabinet:

Baratza Preciso: $299  (actually not stepless, but with 440 settings virtually stepless)
Baratza Vario: $449 (not stepless either, but with more than 200 settings also virtually stepless)
MACAP MC4: $549
MACAP M4: $629
Mazzer Super Jolly: $695 (without the hopper)
Mazzer Mini-E: $799

There's a great review article here on CG from several years back comparing 5 or 6 undercounter grinders in the Mazzer Min/Macap M4 class.

I removed two from Nobby's list only because I don't know their height for sure, not because they definitely won't fit.

You also need to decide between doser and doserless models.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue May 22, 2012, 10:08am

I like the Vario W it is more ($50-100) than the vario but I love dosing X grams into my basket in the morning with no mess and no fuss.  It looks good on the counter and it is neat.  The bad things about commercial grinders they are messy and huge.  That is all that is keeping me from having a commercial grinder.  I love the size and convenience of the Vario W.

I personally did not like the idea of spending $300 for a commercial grinder used and having to mod the heck out of it to sorta get what I wanted to begin with.  And I hate the grind retention of commercial as well.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
slim4511
slim4511

Posted Tue May 22, 2012, 10:33am

As far as doser or doserless goes, my use will be about 2 or 3 double espressos per day.  Having not been a coffee maker previously, I would think amount of mess, ease of operation to make a consistent, good product, and quality workmanship would be of much value to me.  After reading so much on this forum, things are getting a little fuzzy for me on the topic.  I don't think I need all of the bells and whistles but am not afraid to spend money for the right equipment.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue May 22, 2012, 11:11am

I believe the mess problem that people report with doserless can be overcome by using a dosing funnel.  However, I've always had doser models, so I can't say for sure.  I don't think you can go wrong with those listed recently.  It might boil down to price and looks.  I'm pretty sure most will agree the Mazzer, Macap and Compak are better build quality than the Baratza (though I may get thrashed for saying that).

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Gig103

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: French press!
Posted Wed May 23, 2012, 10:31am

Someone (not me) is selling a Vario for $350, which is a good deal!

"SOLD  FS Baratza Vario $$350 Shipped"
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu May 24, 2012, 12:49am

slim4511 Said:

... I do have some space restrictions (should have mentioned earlier).  The set up will need to go under counter of which I have only 17.5 inches ...

Posted May 22, 2012 link

The Nuova Simonelli MCI is very compact. It would fit.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Espresso only...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.307680130005)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+