Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Upgrading Grinder...Similar footprint to Vario?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Upgrading...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
century

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Evoluzione
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama TCA-5
Drip: Chemex 8 Cup
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon May 28, 2012, 4:36pm
Subject: Upgrading Grinder...Similar footprint to Vario?

Ladies & Gents,

Looking to upgrade my grinder.
Im currently using a Vario and while I love it, I think its time to upgrade.
Need something in the sub $800 (cdn) level and most imporantly, would like something that has a similar footprint to the Vario.
Due to counterspace and low cupboards.

Its being paired with my Rocket Giotto.

Thanks in advance

Emil
 View Profile Link to this post
JamesPN007

Espresso: LaSpaziale S1 Vivaldi II
Grinder: Mahlkonig K30 Vario
Posted Mon May 28, 2012, 5:48pm
Subject: Re: Upgrading Grinder...Similar footprint to Vario?

There are plenty of upgrades out there that will surpass the Vario, but I'm not sure there is anything worth upgrading to that carries a similar footprint, is under $800 CDN, and is low enough to fit under the cupboards. The only grinder that comes to mind that meets both your price AND size criteria would be the Pharos from Orphan Espresso, but that is of course a hand mill.  If footprint is the most important factor to you, perhaps save up a little longer for the Mahlkonig ProM, which is around $1,200 US/CDN, and "limp by" for now with the Vario. More than you are looking to spend right now for sure, but so goes this hobby.  The ProM would win the "most grinder in smallest package" award from me. I seriously considered the ProM before getting my current grinder.

Mahlkonig has demo units available from time to time, and if you have a little patience you may be able to snag a ProM at or close to that price range.  I just got a sweet deal on a demo model K30 Vario directly from Mahlkonig.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue May 29, 2012, 5:05am

What is it about the Vario is it that you don't like or are unhappy with?

While I do not have one, members who I respect who do have them, are quite happy with them. I am not aware of a HOME espresso grinder in it's price range that is much, if any better.

Commercial grinders without a hopper, quite often fit under cabs but they are not as small of a foot print.

The Pharos grinder is said to be of a high quality grind and it is a hand mill as said above. My first and only look at it was at a coffee get together we had in L.A. a week or so ago. It seems to be a quality product but the adjustment system needs help as it is difficult to easily make small changes, at least that was the comment the owner of the grinder made.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
century

Posted Tue May 29, 2012, 9:29am

The Vario has done me well but I feel I have to adjust the burrs too often ( at least on mine).
I also find the friction from the burrs makes the grind too hot. Something Ive noticed more as the grinder ages.
Of course these are small issues but regardless I think its time to research my options.

James....Thanks for the info. I like the look of the ProM, I will definitely keep an eye out for a refurb.
Might have to drop by my local shop and test it out.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Tue May 29, 2012, 1:25pm

Adjusting the burrs for a shot is a daily if not hourly thing, does yours need more than that?

Good luck in your quest, the Vario has been held up to the SJ in quality of grind by some people who I respect here so I do think you will need to go a long way to get much if any, improvement.

I will restate though, I do not use a Vario and all my grinders are commercial so I can only give you a thumb nail view of the Vario. I can advise some great deals to keep a eye open for with commercial gear if you want.

Good luck!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

century

Posted Tue May 29, 2012, 4:01pm

By "adjusting the burrs"...I mean with the provided wrench. Not the usual superficial adjustments.

You had me at "great deal"...I would appreciate a heads up if you see something.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Wed May 30, 2012, 4:52am

Check out the used equipment dealers in your city. There may be a food service auction house too, there is one of those near me and often you can buy while you are there and not just at auction. I have done that and though you spend a little more than you might at auction, it will still be a very good deal.

A very good but unsung grinder is the N.S. MDX. I really like the micro adjustment knob VS the lever on the SJ. That is not to say that a Mazzer is bad, they are not and I own a SJ and a Major, both very good grinders. Pretty much any commercial grinder will do a good job for you and the stepless grinders are the best. That is not to say that the stepped grinders such as the Rossi RR45 or the T80 are bad, they are not, they are just stepped grinders. I have found, that, for me, the T80 does not like to be single dosed but if you keep beans in the hopper and use a timer to set your grind dose, it will do a good job.

If you keep your eyes open, put in some search dog time and are willing to do some cleaning and minor repair, you should be able to pick up a used commercial in the under $250 range, and very often in the sub $100 if it looks ugly but is mechanically sound.

Also keep an eye out on Craigs list, the direct mail want add papers and any other bargain advertising where you live. Avoid Ebay unless you want to pay TOP $$$$!

A little work on your part and you WILL find a deal, just keep after it.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Wed May 30, 2012, 5:07am

calblacksmith Said:

Adjusting the burrs for a shot is a daily if not hourly thing,  ...

Posted May 29, 2012 link

That's totally true. The required fineness of grounds for proper extraction depends on many factors such as humidity or aging, type and degree of roasting of the beans. If one of those parameters changes, you'll have to readjust your grinder.

century Said:

By "adjusting the burrs"...I mean with the provided wrench. Not the usual superficial adjustments ...

Posted May 29, 2012 link

Now, recalibrating is a different thing. How old is your Vario? Have you complained about that issue?

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
century

Posted Wed May 30, 2012, 7:33am

Thanks Cal...Ill keep a look out.

Vario is about 2.5 years old.
I have sent an email regarding the frequent calibration.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Upgrading...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.275828123093)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+