Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Adjusting used Rocky?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Adjusting used...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jsantaniello

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Jun 6, 2012, 1:44pm
Subject: Adjusting used Rocky?

I just picked up a used Rancilio Rocky for pretty cheap.

I'm new to quality grinders so I don't have any frame of reference, but I have my suspicions that this has been taken apart to be cleaned or the burrs replaced, and reassembled incorrectly.

I can turn the hopper counter-clockwise to what appears to be -17 without meeting any resistance. And at this finest setting, the grind is pretty coarse. Looks like it would be a nice Moka grind.

Looking at youtube videos about cleaning/changing burrs all seem to make reference to marking the burrs and holder to ensure proper reassembly. But how do I reassemble properly without knowing what the proper postion is?

I've ordered a new burr set, but I figured I'd give a clean a go while waiting for the set to arrive.

So how should I put it together right?

Thanks,

Joseph
 View Profile Link to this post
clumeng

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vivaldi II, 67 Cremina
Grinder: Vario, Maestro, Pharos
Vac Pot: Aeropress
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex
Posted Wed Jun 6, 2012, 2:15pm
Subject: Re: Adjusting used Rocky?

The # gauge really doesn't mean much.  When you take it apart you will find that it can spin fairly easily around so it's a relative number - not an absolute one.  Just be careful when screwing things together so that you don't cross the grooves on the spinale when you reassemble.  New burrs make a world of difference.
jsantaniello

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Jun 7, 2012, 4:46am
Subject: Re: Adjusting used Rocky?

I pulled it apart and cleaned it. The burrs look fine to me, so I guess I'll just hang onto the new ones when they arrive. Or maybe change them just to see the difference.

Once I cleaned it out, it was easy to reassemble properly. I just screwed the upper burr holder on until I felt contact with the lower burr, then backed off about 1/4 turn. Then when the hopper was mounted, low and behold, the grinder zeroes out at 2 which is pretty reasonable. I guess whoever reassembled last time around was afraid to screw in the upper holder enough, and thus once the hopper was on, the stop-screw kept the whole thing from even getting close.

Result: Yum! At about 8 using Lavazza Qualita Rossa, it's just about perfect!

One thing banging my head against the wall with the cheap grinder I had before has done is drill into routines for consistency. This is fun!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Adjusting used...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.209391832352)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+