Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
HELP Grinder under $300! Advice on used commercial grinders RR45, K6, Astra etc
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > HELP Grinder...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
fox2000
fox2000
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Millenium I
Grinder: Mazzer S.J. Auto & MDX
Posted Mon May 21, 2012, 5:57pm
Subject: HELP Grinder under $300! Advice on used commercial grinders RR45, K6, Astra etc

I am looking for a grinder to go with my millennium and I am overwhelmed with choices and information. I currently have an encore which is just not quite precise enough to use with my current machine. So my options are to trade it in for a presico or to buy used. I am on a tight budget being that I spent my money on my used Isomac. I have been reading the threads and although I have gotten a lot of helpful info from them it is still hard to decide which way to go. I can currently get the following equipment I need to make a decision soon before my return period is over.

Baratza Presico new with warranty and excellent customer service $300
Rossi RR45 used with newer burrs and cleaned has pretty good condition $250
Lelit PL43 $125 may need new burrs (not sure why I am listing)
La San Marco 1993 refurbished 2 years ago barely used since then at a home $300 great condition
Astra 1 or 2 approximately 5 years old may need new burrs clean and has only been used at home $200
Cunill Brasil in good condition with new burrs homemade hopper comes with it and original hopper $185
Compak K6 labeled another name from 1996, burrs are worn but will last a while $200+ possible shipping of around $50

There are super jollys for sale right now as well but they are $375-$400 and I just cant go that high especially if it will need new burrs.

Thank you for your advice I appreciate any help I can get obviously the cheaper the better. I suppose other new machines may be an option as well $300 is the absolute highest I could go.

I changed my title in hopes of grabbing the attention of more members its hard trying to find info on older machines and knowing if it will work well as a home grinder. I also added a machine I want advice on.
 View Profile Link to this post
dyno

Espresso: Oscar
Grinder: K6 Pro/Super Mini E
Posted Tue May 22, 2012, 8:55pm
Subject: Re: Grinder selection HELP please, should I buy used commercial or new?

I've got a Preciso refurb that has been very good over the past months.  While the grind quality cannot be faulted, it does have an aura of plasticky cheapness.  The fact the timer knob falls off regularly doesn't help.  

There are good values out there, especially if you can pickup a rebrand.  I recently bought an Anfim Best rebranded as an ECM for $170 shipped.  With new burrs, it'll be under $200 and reportedly the equal of anything in its class.

If you are prone to tinkering and rethinking choices, go for the used commercial.  It doesn't have to be a Super Jolly.  With patience you could pickup something alittle less heralded like a Nuova Simonelli MDX for a good price.  Quite a few of those have sold here locally on Craigslist.  If you need something immediately, a new Lelit PL53 will come in under budget and perhaps hold you over until the inevitable upgrade.

I think there are a few Rossi owners here - hopefully they can chime in.  

It really is true, the grinder is the key to great espresso.
fox2000
fox2000

Posted Sat Jun 9, 2012, 5:27pm
Subject: Re: HELP Grinder under $300! Advice on used commercial grinders RR45, K6

Thank you for your help. I ended up buying a MDX and then a super jolly because I couldn't pass up either deal. Both are great now I have to figure out which to keep.

Tricia
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012, 6:18am
Subject: Re: HELP Grinder under $300! Advice on used commercial grinders RR45, K6

They are both good grinders and I think I would be hard pressed to make that choice. I own both (as well as others) and I like them both. My advice is to keep them both and use one for regular coffee and one for decaf but then that is just me!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
fox2000
fox2000

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012, 8:07am

Hey Wayne I had a feeling you would have some experience with these:) I wanted to tell you I was reading a thread about dialing in a super jolly for the first time and your answer about making tiny adjustments saved me at least a couple bags of beans. I was really struggling with the MDX and the SJ because they have so many possible settings I to was making way to large of adjustments. I just wanted to thank you its hard to find such straight forward answers sometimes.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012, 8:40am

Your welcome and it is my pleasure.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > HELP Grinder...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.221740007401)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+