Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
HG One: new hand grinder
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > HG One: new hand...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
andys
andys
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Thu Jun 21, 2012, 4:43pm
Subject: HG One: new hand grinder

Doesn't appear that anyone here has mentioned a proposed new hand espresso grinder, the HG-One.

The design appears to be a hand-cranked version of the Versalab grinder, with some nice new features. It uses Robur-sized full conical burrsets.

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Posted Thu Jun 21, 2012, 5:05pm
Subject: Re: HG One: new hand grinder

just got done reading the long thread over on HB.

i'm in the camp of 1000 is too much for a hand grinder(850 plus whatever the portafilter mount costs).  if i were spending that much, i think i'd be looking at the compak k10.

it is gorgeous and i'd love to have one, though.  im just not that rich.

oh btw, they said that the burrs are coming from Mazzer so they probably are actually Robur burrs.
 View Profile Link to this post
JonR10
JonR10
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Jun 22, 2012, 8:43am

Wow, that looks so freakin' cool.....

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
rbh1515

Espresso: LM GS3
Grinder: Mahlkonig/VersalabM3
Vac Pot: have one
Drip: no
Roaster: got that too/never use it
Posted Fri Jun 22, 2012, 3:10pm

Very nice.  1k is a bit high I agree.  I got a OE Pharos, which is about 1/4 the cost and like it a lot.
Rob
andys
andys

Posted Fri Jun 22, 2012, 7:20pm

1. Very cool looking machine!
  2. My experience suggests that perfect alignment between top and bottom burrs is very important. I would worry that this design might not retain good alignment after a lot of use. Especially since it is touted as an "heirloom" grinder.
  3. Beware of burrs! The burrs you buy today might not grind the same as an "identical" set with the same part number that you buy a year from now. Quality Control in burrsets is very poor.
  4. Experiments with my Robur's variable speed drive show that effective grind fineness varies with burr rpm. If one grinds by hand, it is possible that one may get inconsistent shots if one's cranking speed inadvertently varies?
  5. I believe a refractometer is VERY useful in evaluating grinders. If one adjusts two grinders to produce shots that measure 18g dose/28g beverage/27 sec (or any other typical set of numbers), the grinder that produces a higher TDS beverage will produce better tasting espresso over a wider range of coffees and concentrations (IMO).

-AndyS
rwyble

Posted Sun Jun 24, 2012, 5:39am

andys Said:

. . . I would worry that this design might not retain good alignment after a lot of use. Especially since it is touted as an "heirloom" grinder.

Posted June 22, 2012 link

Andy, would you mind expanding that?  You have a lot of equipment experience and knowledge, and I am interested in knowing what is behind your concern about the possibility of eventual misalignment and what relationship the heirloom claim has to long-term alignment.
andys
andys

Posted Sun Jun 24, 2012, 6:57pm

rwyble Said:

I am interested in knowing what is behind your concern about the possibility of eventual misalignment and what relationship the heirloom claim has to long-term alignment.

Posted June 24, 2012 link

I dont want to sit here and rag on this grinder, never having personally seen or used it. I was referring to the soft aluminum C frame design and long slender shaft that must maintain extremely good alignment for years, all the while grinding beans that constantly vary in size and hardness. Conventional grinders (like Mazzers) are built with more rigid structures.

Let me repeat, the HG-one is gorgeous. It's hard to exaggerate the challenges involved in bringing new products to market, and what these guys have built (so far) is really impressive.

-AndyS
Peli
Peli
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Isomac Tea
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Compak K6,...
Posted Sun Jun 24, 2012, 10:50pm

Oh wow, I'm surprised that this is the first we've heard of this.  I do especially like how in their news section they've given us a look at how they've prototyped and sought to debug the machine as much as they can.

Very cool!  Not cheap, but hey, it may have a niche.
Angman
Angman
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Strega, MCal, Cimbali M20L
Grinder: K10 Fresh, HG One 83mm,...
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: Technivorm, Hario Woodneck,...
Roaster: Hottop 8828P
Posted Thu Sep 27, 2012, 10:44pm

One nice looking albeit expensive grinder.  Lots of comments from people saying that they would pick up the K10 over this grinder.  The K10 is still a more expensive grinder but the biggest issue is grinds retention in the K10.  The K10 is a fabulous grinder but it retains a lot of grinds unless one goes through a very detailed ritual of brushing and purging it out.  Keep in mind that its built for a commercial environment whereas the HG One is meant for residential use. They are both great grinders (hopefully) but only great in its intended environment.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Sep 30, 2012, 4:00pm

Yes, but for $1,000 . . . is it better than the OE Pharos?  Four times better???

Hmmmm . . . nope.  Not for me.  Pass.  

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Then again, anyone want to start a pool on when the first post will appear from someone who has both the HG One grinder and the Blossom coffee maker paired in their kitchen?

JasonBrandtLewis: shrug.gif

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > HG One: new hand...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.293247938156)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+