Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
On a budget - Hario Mini Mill Slim now (+upgrade to PHAROS later) vs OE LIDO now
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > On a budget -...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Sun Jun 24, 2012, 8:40pm
Subject: Re:

Acumen Said:

Should I maybe try and track down a Lehnartz for now? I see they sell on Ebay regularly in the sub $30 range.

Posted June 24, 2012 link

I use a Brass Lehnartz Turkish mill - this style is very different than the wooden box mills. I wish these were common but they are not. Among similar brass mills the performance varies quite a bit - 50 to 70 years is a long time and these burrs are good for maybe 300 - 500 lb is my guess. At 5 lb a month these old mills would be shot in 3 years considering original wear or maybe a bit more than 5 years provided you could find one that has never been used...

OE Pharos if you are 100% positive about espresso sooner rather than later - Lido (it's more than capable for espresso) if if pour over is the current desire and espresso is a down the road maybe - best of both worlds is to end up with one of each...

Good luck!

EricBNC: IMG_1306 500.jpg
(Click for larger image)

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sun Jun 24, 2012, 8:45pm

I can say for the money the Hario Slim is really good, love it. Great for espresso, sorta experimented for drip but still playing around with the settings as I don't really drink drip much, except for right now waiting for my new espresso machine to come in. There's a few mods you can do to it, big thread on here, that seem to help more for coarser grinds. It's just my gf and I really right now so it's not much work if we want shots randomly, if you had others over or grinding larger amounts of grams, then yeh it may get old a little quick lol.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sun Jun 24, 2012, 10:30pm
Subject: Re: On a budget - Hario Mini Mill Slim now or

Acumen Said:

So I decided to starting working on my coffee skills, and of course am starting with a grinder. I have done a lot of research and am still stuck on picking one. My daily brew has been store bought espresso grind, out of a stove top Bialetti, or more often a cheap drip machine, and I am happy drinking that. I have done some experimenting with pour overs and fresh roasted beans, but it just doesn't work well with my blade grinder, to the point where I prefer the cheap store espresso.

It may be some time before I can get a real espresso machine. In the meantime I would like to be able to at least make a good pour-over and Bialetti cup. As I understand it, the Mini Mill Slim is the least expensive, passable grinder, but would need to be upgraded when getting a machine. Something like the LIDO if I would be able to use it down the line for real espresso as well would be great, but I haven't found much about it being used in this way. I guess it is too new. The PHAROS is more then I would like to spend now, but would be a good upgrade option from the Hario if I don't get the LIDO

If I would need to upgrade again anyway, I would rather save the $ if I can get away with the Mini Mill for now. If the LIDO will perform well for all, I would rather get the higher quality now. I only mention hand grinders because I figure you get the same burr at half the price so for a budget it is going to be the best option.

Thoughts?

Posted June 24, 2012 link

For pour-over/drip, IMO a hand grinder such as a Lido is VASTLY superior to a mini mill...any mini-mill.
That said, a Baratza Encore would be a fine solution for the present, and a good spare drip grinder in the future should you get the Lido.
The Pharos can do all grinds, but Ibelieve it was made to be the ultimate manual espresso grinder.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Acumen

Posted Mon Jun 25, 2012, 6:00am

Alright, I think I am going to go with the LIDO. The reality is I drink drip every day, and so I should maximize my drip experience. Since it will be able to handle espresso as well, it will enable me to start looking for and using a machine. Then I can add the PHAROS or an electric as budget allows, if I am tired of hand grinding, or when I am looking for shot improvement down the line. The LIDO is also just a very appealing object in general. I have a thing for over-engineered simplicity. I will also keep my eyes open for any and all brass Lehnartz.
jbviau
jbviau
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Mon Jun 25, 2012, 8:21am

Welcome (almost) to the LIDO club then! Hope the wait isn't too long.
daveupstateNY
daveupstateNY

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso, Hario &...
Vac Pot: Yama 2 & 5 cup
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster CD,...
Roaster: Don't roast ... yet!
Posted Mon Jun 25, 2012, 8:54am

jbviau Said:

Welcome (almost) to the LIDO club then! Hope the wait isn't too long.

Posted June 25, 2012 link

+1 ... excellent choice. I use mine daily. I also have the Pharos and I can honestly say, they are two of the best quality grinders I have ever owned ... absolutely no regrets! Enjoy, and good brewing!!

Ciao,

Dave
Acumen

Posted Sat Jul 14, 2012, 10:26am
Subject: On a budget - Hario Mini Mill Slim now (+upgrade to PHAROS later) vs OE LIDO now

Hey, I wanted to update everybody. My LIDO arrived this morning, and it makes a d*mn good cup of coffee. I couldn't be happier. I can't wait to start experimenting now that I have a source of local fresh roasted beans and a quality grinder. Looking at the finer end of the grinds it can do, I think I will have no problem venturing into espresso, while having ultimate drip.

Thank you all for your help.
Sam21

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Sat Jul 14, 2012, 2:04pm
Subject: Re: On a budget - Hario Mini Mill Slim now vs OE LIDO now

Acumen Said:

Hey, I wanted to update everybody. My LIDO arrived this morning, and it makes a d*mn good cup of coffee. I couldn't be happier. I can't wait to start experimenting now that I have a source of local fresh roasted beans and a quality grinder. Looking at the finer end of the grinds it can do, I think I will have no problem venturing into espresso, while having ultimate drip.

Thank you all for your help.

Posted July 14, 2012 link

Congrats on your new grinder! I use a Virtuoso at home and my LIDO goes everywhere else with me, although it spends most of its time in office. It's a top notch grinder. Enjoy it!
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > On a budget -...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.291929006577)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+