Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 171 of 198 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Thu Jul 19, 2012, 4:18pm
Subject: Re: The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread

curtrowe Said:

Not in the fridge! The last time I checked on how to store coffee, the fridge was the way to go, but that was 20-30 years ago. A brief Internet search confirmed that I'm behind the times. As least I keep them in an air tight jar.

Posted July 19, 2012 link

Hmmm, above you said:

curtrowe Said:

I currently keep my coffee beans in the refrigerator and only weight out what I need for each espresso before dumping it in my Macap.

& a direct link to that post here: "Re: The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread"

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
curtrowe
curtrowe

Espresso: Quick Mill Andreja Premium
Grinder: Baratza W, MACAP M4
Vac Pot: Bodum French press
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Jabez Burns & Sons 3 head...
Posted Mon Jul 23, 2012, 12:29pm

CraigA Said:

Hmmm, above you said:
& a direct link to that post here: "Re: The Baratza Vario Grinder Owner's Thread"

Posted July 19, 2012 link

Is there some point you're trying to make?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Mon Jul 23, 2012, 12:37pm

curtrowe Said:

Is there some point you're trying to make?

Posted July 23, 2012 link

Curt, the only thing I was pointing out was that you were contradicting yourself the way I read it in the two posts is all..

curtrowe Said:

I currently keep my coffee beans in the refrigerator

curtrowe Said:

Not in the fridge!

So you said, I keep them in the fridge, then you said you didn't. I'm sorry & appologize if that bothered/offended you or anyone else.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
curtrowe
curtrowe

Posted Mon Jul 23, 2012, 12:39pm

I called my favorite supplier, Chris' Coffee, to ask about the Vario-W. They said they had it in stock. That's all it took; my defenses were broken down and I bought one ;) When I get it, I can take a scale and various grinder cleaning tools off my counter and shorten my preparation process. Let's see, if I save two minutes per espresso, two espressos a day, how long will it take to recoup my investment?
curtrowe
curtrowe

Posted Sat Jul 28, 2012, 9:24pm

CraigA Said:

Curt, the only thing I was pointing out was that you were contradicting yourself the way I read it in the two posts is all..

So you said, I keep them in the fridge, then you said you didn't. I'm sorry & appologize if that bothered/offended you or anyone else.

Posted July 23, 2012 link

I see your confusion. When I said "Not in the fridge!" I was jokingly being incredulous. I thought the explanation point gave it away. I had been storing my coffee in the fridge for something like forty years.

I have noticed since I've stared to store my beans at room temperature, that they oil up. I roast to full city+ and pull at the first hint of oiling. Now the beans look like I took them to Viennese.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Jul 28, 2012, 10:27pm

curtrowe Said:

I roast to full city+ and pull at the first hint of oiling. Now the beans look like I took them to Viennese.

Posted July 28, 2012 link

You did.
In most cases, once a bean has entered 2nd crack, and it's not pulled within 10 seconds (or less in a Behmor, as I've learned) the bean will oil up within a few days.
If you're not pulling them out till they ALREADY have oil, you are roasting to Vienna stage, and will ultimately have a roast that will look (and perhaps TASTE) like it's been French roasted.

By storing your beans in a 1-way valved bag as opposed to an airtight mason/ball jar, you will slow down the oiling.
I've noticed storing fresh roasted beans in this "vacuum pump" type plastic canisters caused my city+ beans to oil up after 3 days.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
curtrowe
curtrowe

Posted Thu Aug 2, 2012, 4:48pm

IMAWriter Said:

You did.
In most cases, once a bean has entered 2nd crack, and it's not pulled within 10 seconds (or less in a Behmor, as I've learned) the bean will oil up within a few days.
If you're not pulling them out till they ALREADY have oil, you are roasting to Vienna stage, and will ultimately have a roast that will look (and perhaps TASTE) like it's been French roasted.

By storing your beans in a 1-way valved bag as opposed to an airtight mason/ball jar, you will slow down the oiling.
I've noticed storing fresh roasted beans in this "vacuum pump" type plastic canisters caused my city+ beans to oil up after 3 days.

Posted July 28, 2012 link

Since my Baratza W arrived, I've been storing a day or two worth of beans in it. I also picked up a couple of Planetary Design Airscape containers. They have an inner lid that you can press down on top the container's contents to minimize the amount of air. Probably not as good as a the vacuum pump container you mention, but I would think close.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Thu Aug 2, 2012, 7:33pm

Apologies if If I wasn't clear. I meant AVOID containers that attempt to keep things airtight without an escape valve, such as a 1 way valve bag.
However, I'll be interested to see how the new containers work. Please let us know.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
curtrowe
curtrowe

Posted Sat Aug 4, 2012, 12:56pm

I've had my Vario-W for a few days now. Getting my Macap, scale, and cleaning tools off the counter really cleared up some space. When I first used the Vario-W, the grind was too course at 2 and 16.1g for a double. I wanted to keep 1 in reserve for a little headroom so I used the supplied allen wrench to adjust it finer. I like that they put finer with an arrow on the handle. It took a few adjustment to get it right.

Since I had a scale, I double checked the weight of the coffee being ground. So far, the setting of 16.1 produces 15.8 or 15.9 grams. I don't mind the discrepancy as long as it is consistent. I did have a couple of aberrations with weights. It turned out I wasn't setting the tare properly. I assumed pushing it once after not using the grinder in a while would do it. It appears the press of any button just reactivates it. So if it's the first thing I do, I need to press it twice.

I still haven't got my times dialed in yet. So far I've been leaving it at a constant weight and adjusting the grind. I went from 17 seconds for a double to 35 when I went from f to b. I  went back to f and still got 35 seconds. With my Macap, I mainly adjusted the weight to get the time right. Even then the time would sometimes jump around. It might be a result of different amounts of the blend. I'm going to have to do an SO to experiment.
Buster005

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Scala Butterfly &  Isomac...
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch $ Sunbeam...
Posted Thu Sep 13, 2012, 6:42pm

Hi all I am looking at the Vario cousin sold here in Australia as the Mahlkoenig Vario against the Rocky doserless. Can anyone tell me what
settings they have with the vario for espresso??
Regards
Noel
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 171 of 198 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The Baratza...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.401257038116)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+