Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Virtuoso Preciso going bad
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Virtuoso Preciso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
reptileexperts

Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Virtuoso Preciso
Posted Mon Aug 6, 2012, 11:58am
Subject: Virtuoso Preciso going bad

Alright, so I may be beating a dead horse on this forum, but I did a good bit of searching before deciding to post just to see what others have experienced. I purchased a Preciso back when they first came out, when I changed out my old Gaggia to a new Gaggia Classic. The grinder worked good for about 2-3 months, then the micro adjust ring broke. Not a big deal, sent me a new one right away, replaced it and fixed my issues. . .

3 months later, it lost the ability to grind fine, no matter the setting the beans continued to come out extremely course (Think drip grind on setting 1). I emailed my contact at Preciso who has been grade A+, and he said that they have had issues interenally with their grinders losing their ability to grind fine. He asked me to calibrate and photograph document, I did, and as soon as he received the images, boom new grinder in the mail. . . Alright!

3 months later, again, my grinder motor became stripped and made horrible sounds, failing to produce any grind. I took a video, sent it to my contact and again new grinder . . . Rock on, I think . . .

Now, I'm stting another 3 months along the lines, and again my grinder is back to coarse, very uneven grinds that cause my espresso to pull like a bat out of hell going for the worlds fastest 2 ounce pull at 8 seconds using an intense amount of tamping pressure from my rattleware tamper. . .

So now I'm back to emailing my contact this afternoon when I get back home and can calibrate it one more time. . . I guess after all that the questions I have are this:

1) Are there known issues with this grinders reliability over time with heavy (home) use?
2) Has anyone else experienced a course grind on the finest setting and found a simple at home fix?
3) How often does the average user clean their grinder burs? (ex. weekly, by the pound, by the bag, etc)

I will say that the wear did not happen instantly, I found myself constantly having to put the grind setting finer and finer (9 h original dial in point if memory serves me right).

and 4) Is there any customer service out there that compares to Baratza? Seriously, these guys are top notch, but I'd rather the invisible customer service that I never have the need to contact over and over . . .

Cheers, happy brewing
 View Profile Link to this post
Intrepid510

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Aug 6, 2012, 12:14pm
Subject: Re: Virtuoso Preciso going bad

I got one of the first ones too, and it worked well for a year and then I got the same problem as you. Tried a few fixes, nothing worked and got a new grinder in the mail. 6-7 months in on the new one and we'll see where it goes.

However, I suspect my issues arose after using a few batches of very light roasted beans as espresso and now won't grind light roasts for espresso in it. I just think it can't handle something too hard for extended periods of time so fine, hopefully it lasts longer. Also do you have the new gear drive? Seems to be working so far for me.

Short of you putting the top burr in wrong, I don't think there is much to do other than get a new grinder from them personally I think the burrs in it touch and dull quick when doing light roasts.

Oh and I barely clean it, less touching the better imho.

Less water, more grounds.
reptileexperts

Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Virtuoso Preciso
Posted Mon Aug 6, 2012, 12:58pm

The newest grinder has the old mech. it was a refurbished unit that I received (new to me). Once I get in contact with my rep, I will see if he can promise me a 2.0 getting shipped out. . .

I've been using medium - dark roast, no city roast, verdes, or blondes. No charbucks, or big box brands. . . Most of the beans were roasted within 1 week of grinding, and 3 weeks old would be the oldest ground.
redkiosk
redkiosk

Espresso: Illy Francis-Francis X1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/ Esatto...
Vac Pot: Someday, very intriguing!
Drip: Trifecta MB, Kalita Wave...
Roaster: A sure path to divorce!
Posted Tue Aug 7, 2012, 4:16pm

If you press on the black plastic ring that surrounds the bottom burr (in different clock positions), does it move in or have a "springy" feel to it? It shouldn't have any movement. The VERY latest Preciso have this piece glued down. I had one of the newer versions that I purchased this past May and after three weeks, also jumped to grinding all over the spectrum. They sent me one with the ring glued down and no problems thus far. Oh yeah, I clean mine, maybe every month or so. Hope this helps and take care!

Jim

The pathologically precise are annoying, but right!
Sam21

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012, 8:04am

redkiosk Said:

If you press on the black plastic ring that surrounds the bottom burr (in different clock positions), does it move in or have a "springy" feel to it? It shouldn't have any movement. The VERY latest Preciso have this piece glued down. I had one of the newer versions that I purchased this past May and after three weeks, also jumped to grinding all over the spectrum. They sent me one with the ring glued down and no problems thus far. Oh yeah, I clean mine, maybe every month or so. Hope this helps and take care!

Jim

Posted August 7, 2012 link

+1 to the glued ring down. I emailed Baratza to ask what had changed from the Virtuoso to the Preciso and why this was suddenly becoming an issue. They said that because the Virtuoso was mainly being used for drip grinding, they never had an issue with the added strain of espresso grinding on the 3 gearbox tabs that hold the adjustment mechanism down. With the Preciso, this became an issue because of this and caused the adjustment mechanism to lift up in areas and make the outer burrs alignment a bit off, resulting in a grind that is all over the place. By adhering that ring to the gearbox, it is far more durable. They also informed me that some folks were having issues with their machines because they were adjusting finer without running the grinder and were ultimately cracking pieces of the adjustment mechanism.

Yes, there are plastic parts in the grinder, but I have had no durability issues with mine. I did have a problem with the burr's axle becoming slightly loose from the gearbox, but that was an anomaly. The rest of my experience with my Baratza has been fantastic. I clean once every 2-3 weeks, as I switch coffees a lot. It takes all of 2 minutes to give it a quick brushing.

Happy grinding.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Virtuoso Preciso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.225813865662)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+