Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Mahlkonig Pro M Espresso or K30
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Mahlkonig Pro M...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
F1

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sat Oct 13, 2012, 1:01pm
Subject: Mahlkonig Pro M Espresso or K30

Does anyone have any experience with both of these grinders? Not one or the other but BOTH. There's only a $100 dollar difference. I guess I couldn't go wrong with either one, but I want to know if one is better. The Pro M is relatively new so there is not a lot of info online. I wonder if the only difference is that the Pro M is more of a home version and the K30 is more of a coffee shop grinder. I'll be pairing it with a Rocket Giotto.
 View Profile Link to this post
Cdnpaul

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Oct 13, 2012, 4:02pm
Subject: Re: Mahlkonig Pro M Espresso or K30

From what I've read the K30 is in a different league. Having said that, it's just too big for my kitchen. I considered one with the small hopper but I thought it looked a little weird with the large body that dwarfed the little hopper. The Pro M certainly looks nice but it seems too pricey to me.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sat Oct 13, 2012, 6:25pm

Well, I love my K30 Vario, but have no experience with the Pro M.  Sorry.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
nobbi4711
nobbi4711
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Dallacorte Mini EX4
Grinder: Casadio Instantaneous
Vac Pot: none
Drip: French Press
Roaster: Mini-500/800N drum roaster;...
Posted Mon Oct 15, 2012, 12:16am

I tried both. In my eyes the ProM isn't worth the money, it sounds and handles like a modded Vario Home. Go for the K30 (Vario).

Greetings \\//

Marcus
ShooterMcGavin
ShooterMcGavin
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: N.S. Oscar
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Mon Oct 15, 2012, 9:55pm

(according to this review (Click Here (10000shots.com)), the Pro M is an excellent grinder, though not for single-dosing.

read the comments as well

Daviiid
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Mon Oct 15, 2012, 10:55pm

The ProM is promoted by Mahlkönig as a commercial grinder, but IMHO it's more a very high end prosumer product, wheras the K30 is a real professional grinder designed primarily for coffee shops and bars. From what I've heard the grind quality of the ProM is excellent. Both are 65 mm flat burr grinders, but I can't tell if there's much of a difference between the two apart from the amount of kitchen space they take up.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
espressohiker
espressohiker

Espresso: La Spaziale S1
Grinder: Gaggia, Mahlkonig ProM
Drip: Melita, AeroPress
Roaster: Unimax
Posted Tue Dec 3, 2013, 10:58am

I have owned a Pro M "All Around" grinder for a little more than a year.  I like the size, weight and controls - the timer and grind fineness are continuous and very precise.  However, I have had problems with day to day operation (I use it for two espresso drinks per day).  It will grind properly for a few cycles but then will plug up.  The grind will become finer and the grinder will eventually stop operating (light blinking).  I have cleaned it by disassembling it down to the burrs several times.  This is not easy. Taking off the hopper means either holding the whole grinder with hopper attached upside down to dump out the beans into another container or first removing the hopper and losing beans which fall out the bottom.  Then the hopperless grinder must be turned upside down in order to remove the top cover and grind spout.  Finally, the top burr can be removed and the spout assembly and burrs can be cleaned with a vacuum cleaner and a toothpick.  The grinder will then run as normal after it's put back together - for a few more cycles.  My roast is a city to full-city.  The beans are not oily.  Does anyone else have long term experience using this grinder?
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Mahlkonig Pro M...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.249656915665)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+