Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Mazzer Superjolly Timer knob doesn't keep time
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Mazzer...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
seabirdmusic

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Delonghi Rialto
Grinder: Hario Slim Ceramic
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Carabello Coffee
Posted Thu Oct 25, 2012, 9:33am
Subject: Mazzer Superjolly Timer knob doesn't keep time

Hello everyone,
Sorry about my shoddy description but I'm a musician and didn't know how else to put it.  I recently acquired a used Super Jolly and it has a knob on the right side that is spring loaded and appears to be a timer. It's the only way (that I can see) to turn the grinder on which it does, but it does not allow a timed grind.  If I turn the knob clockwise, it only stays on as long as I'm holding it, if I let go it springs back to it's original position.  I pulled the knob off and there are two screws holding the "timer plate" to the grinder and a small piece of metal placed on the shaft that turns the machine on when the knob is turned.  I tried re-positioning this piece thinking maybe it had fallen out of place but it didn't seem to fix the issue.  Does anyone have any ides how to get this thing timed again?  I can send pictures of thats helpful. To recap, the machine turns on but I have to hold the timer knob in place to keep it on.

Thanks for any help.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Oct 25, 2012, 1:10pm
Subject: Re: Mazzer Superjolly Timer knob doesn't keep time

It sounds like the mech in the timer assy is broken.

Not a huge loss though and when you learn the price of a replacement timer, you might just decide to not worry about it at all.

We do not fill the doser with coffee which is what the timer is there for. It is so you can refill the doser and walk away from the grinder and it will turn off after apx a minute. It was NEVER accurate enough to time a grind to take the place of measuring the dose of grinds like we use the grinder / doser.

The easiest way to "fix" this AND to make the grinder more useful would be to get a dark room digital timer and use that to grind for a specific set time to give you a set volume of ground coffee in the doser, taking the place of weighing each shot and allowing you to use a short (or the stock if you have room) bean hopper to keep a constant pressure on the beans in the throat of the grinder.

Many people have done this but you will need to just wire the switch (stock timer on SJ) to be on all the time and use the dark room timer to control everything.

The way it normally works when using a darkroom timer, is the darkroom timer still times the grind but you need to turn the grinder (built in timer) on  each time you grind before activating the darkroom timer. The darkroom timer does the work of turning the grinder on and off, the timer on the side of the grinder is just another step in the process.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
seabirdmusic

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Delonghi Rialto
Grinder: Hario Slim Ceramic
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Carabello Coffee
Posted Thu Oct 25, 2012, 5:27pm

Thanks for the detailed reply.
It doesn't bother me much to have to hold it on, but I was thinking it might be nice to have both hands free if wanting to fill my portafilter while using the doser (during grind)
I guess I'll just grind first, let go of the timer knob, then dose into my portafilter.
Here's a few pictures of the knob and metal piece behind, I assume the screws are there for some reason (other than the timer number plate)
http://imgur.com/a/sA703
SpromoSapiens
SpromoSapiens

Espresso: Riviera Eagle, '91 Livietta,...
Grinder: Vario, KA ProLine, Sozen...
Drip: Clever, V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Oct 25, 2012, 6:12pm

From what I gather, the timer knobs on old SJ's are the first, and perhaps only, thing that definitely will wear out (aside from the burrs of course). Otherwise the SJ will stand the test of time, so to speak. I acquired an immaculate second-hand SJ for use at work, and the timer knob promptly failed, but since the replacement knob -- no problem. While it was on the fritz, we did the holding-it-on routine, and it was actually beneficial in teaching the less experienced baristas just how long it takes to grind a fit amount for a double. But in the end it's definitely worthwhile to invest in the ability to dose and grind simultaneously, as I believe the benefits of rapid-doser-clicking distribution
are significant.

FWIW, even a properly functioning SJ "timer" knob is pretty useless for keeping time as far as single doses or grinding to order are concerned. My SJ won't activate unless I twist the knob well past the point of one doubleshot's amount of time, and it's really not precise enough to try to force it back and release it at whatever theoretical point would be appropriate for a doubleshot without overgrinding and creating waste. So we twist it on to start the grind and forcefully twist it back to stop. This certainly adds wear, and is probably why these timer knobs so reliably fail after a while, because the fact is that in most quality cafes, it's no longer the convention to pregrind a dozen shots at a time.

I've thought about trying to hook up some kind of external timer switch, ideally an inline on/off timer switch that one could plug the SJ into and then continues with its own plug into the outlet, without futzing around with any innards. Twisting the knob would be step one, then you hit the timer switch and dose your individual doubleshot without worrying about stopping the grinder. Stopping the grinder is always an annoying interruption to the tense muscular reflex of rapidfire dosing, and it tends to result in an imprecise amount of grinding, either a tiny bit too much or too little. We strive for perfection!
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Fri Oct 26, 2012, 6:18am

Howard, that is exactly what I had advised but with a slight change. The Darkroom timer is used as an on off switch like you describe but as his timer is already broken and internal wiring needs to be done anyway, just bypass it all together, wire the grinder so that when it is plugged in, it is on, then it is a simple push button operation on the digital timer start button to grind a precise volume of coffee.

If the timer is repaired, then it would be just like you say, step one, turn the timer on then step two, start the timer. This system works very well and I have done it for years.

This is the timer I use, I picked it up used for around $75 if I remember right.
I then made a relay box to control the grinder as the grinder draws more power than the contacts in the timer are rated for. It was a simple 120v relay wired so that the timer turned the relay on and the relay turned the grinder on. The relay contacts are rated for 30 amps so the setup should outlive me. I have since moved to a different grinder but this is still a sound setup none the less.

calblacksmith: gralab645.jpg
(Click for larger image)

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Fri Oct 26, 2012, 6:39am

calblacksmith Said:

Howard, that is exactly what I had advised but with a slight change. The Darkroom timer is used as an on off switch like you describe but as his timer is already broken and internal wiring needs to be done anyway, just bypass it all together, wire the grinder so that when it is plugged in, it is on, then it is a simple push button operation on the digital timer start button to grind a precise volume of coffee.

If the timer is repaired, then it would be just like you say, step one, turn the timer on then step two, start the timer. This system works very well and I have done it for years.

Posted October 26, 2012 link

Right on! My onboard timer is disabled and I use a dark room timer with a stomp box. This way I can start the grinder, hold the PF and whack the doser handle simultaneously.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Fri Oct 26, 2012, 6:48am

That should work very nicely John!

OP, you might want to just use something like this to a SSR or relay. This may be a less expensive setup than finding a dark room timer YMMV.
Click Here (www.auberins.com)

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Mazzer...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.272377967834)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+