Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Switching coffee blends with Mazzer Mini - does all the old come out?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Switching coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
tigermilk

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Oct 26, 2012, 4:22am
Subject: Switching coffee blends with Mazzer Mini - does all the old come out?

My Baratza Virtuoso is having some troubles so I figure I may want to upgrade rather than repair to the Mazzer Mini.  However, one question I have is how coffee blend replacement works with the Mini.  My wife only drinks decaf and I will drink both high octane and unleaded.  With the Baratza, I always have to flip the machine upside down to empty as many beans as possible.  I have yet to find an answer online about the Mazzers except that you can push in the slide on the hopper and remove the hopper full of beans. However, the slide is up the cylinder on the hopper, so some beans are still in the queue waiting to meet their maker.  Given the much heavier make of the Mazzers, I don't expect to be flipping the machine over to empty the beans above the top burr. Is it easy to simply scoop the remaining beans out by hand or will there always been a fair amount (any estimates of the number of grams?) left to get chewed up with the next batch?
 View Profile Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Fri Oct 26, 2012, 9:57am
Subject: Re: Switching coffee blends with Mazzer Mini - does all the old come out?

There will always be some beans you cannot scoop . . .

You know, there is a reason why many of us have two grinders at home.  ;^)

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Oct 26, 2012, 10:13am
Subject: Re: Switching coffee blends with Mazzer Mini - does all the old come out?

^ what he said.

The Macap M4, although similar to the Mazzer Mini is not exactly the same...so don't take this as the final answer...however, the throat (that area you're asking about) holds around 30 grams of beans...and no, I would not want to have to invert it on a regular basis to dump beans.  Unless you're as strong as Andre the Giant was, dumping the beans like you do with the Virtuoso is not an option.

If you're in the market for a Mini, why don't you see about fixing your Virtuoso and saving it as a second grinder?

Another option is to singe dose (weigh out your dose each time instead of leaving beans in the hopper).

Hey, just saw you're in Houston...whereabouts? I'm in Bellaire.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Oct 26, 2012, 10:56am

What they said +1

Two grinders takes all the bother out of switching beans, heck get 3 so you have one for that "special" coffee you were just dying to try, it is only money.... Ya, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
tigermilk

Posted Fri Oct 26, 2012, 11:47am

emradguy Said:

Hey, saw you're in Houston...whereabouts? I'm in Bellaire.

Posted October 26, 2012 link

Pearland. If you know of any good beans in the area let me know. Usually just get Java Pura at Central Market, though I have found Pearland Roasters to be exceptional but also expensive at about $25/pound or more.
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Fri Oct 26, 2012, 12:01pm

calblacksmith Said:

heck get 3 so you have one for that "special" coffee you were just dying to try

+1 regular, decaf, and a single doser

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Fri Oct 26, 2012, 1:06pm

tigermilk Said:

If you know of any good beans . . .

List of Our Favorite Roasters

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Fri Oct 26, 2012, 1:26pm

One of the many reasons I love my hand grinders. Main coffee in the MD-85, dialed in for the Ellimatic, hand grinders for "incidental" coffees. When not in use, the vintage hand grinders make an attractive display.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Oct 26, 2012, 7:01pm

Amaya is local.  It's served at Catalina.  The guys at Greenway coffee roast and theirs is served and sold at their own place and at Revival Market (in the heights).  Greenway is opening a second place very soon in Montrose called Blacksmith Coffee.  There's another 3rd wave coffee house opening up next door toe Uchi Sushi at Montrose and Westheimer called Southside Espresso they are owned by Fusion coffee roasters, but I haven't tried their beans.

Having said all of that...I almost always get my coffee online, from places off the list Jason provided you a link to (above).

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Espresso: L-I
Grinder: HG-One, Kony-E, VL, Lido2
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Quest
Posted Mon Oct 29, 2012, 12:48pm

jwoodyu Said:

+1 regular, decaf, and a single doser

+2, I run 3 grinders.  One for regular everyday blend (mazzer Kony-e), 1 for single requests like de-caf or a different blend (versalab M3) and finally a Pharos w/Voodoodaddy Mod to test different bean/blends and power failures.

You can never have enough toys!
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Switching coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.310602903366)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+