Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Baratza Vario, Mazzer Super Jolly or Mazzer Mini-E????????
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Vario,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
F1

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Oct 25, 2012, 8:06pm
Subject: Baratza Vario, Mazzer Super Jolly or Mazzer Mini-E????????

I've read in multiple forums that the Baratza Vario is pretty much on par with the Super Jolly and that both are better than Mini. I wonder if these people are refering to the regular Mini(58mm burr), the Mini-E(64mm burr) or both.

The Mini-E has the same size burrs as the Super Jolly. Is the Mini-E still infirior on grind quality compared to the Baratza Vario?
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Thu Oct 25, 2012, 9:38pm
Subject: Re: Baratza Vario, Mazzer Super Jolly or Mazzer Mini-E????????

In fairness, all 3 grinder do a very fine job.
As far as quality,. I've owned both a SJ (2 in fact) and currently a Vario-W and Preciso, both Baratza grinders.
The Mazzer is a tank, truly a commercial sized grinder, and very popular. Used, it can be had for about $400. Purchase new burrs, around $45.
I really enjoyed having my SJ, but found the Vario's functions more to my use pattern.
The Mazzer SJ not sized well for a small kitchen, will be a bit messier and wasteful than either the Mini e, or especially the Vario, the neatest grinder of all 3.

IMO, the Vario's grind quality is very similar to the SJ's, and in fact, I found the taste profiles to be similar. Both flat burr grinders, featuring  more of the "darker" elements, chocolates, caramels, nuts essences.
The Vario is very quiet, nearly zero waste, and has the advantage of being able to almost instantly switch back and forth between espresso and french press grinding. It is meant for home use mainly, though I've seen them in cafe's that do manual pour-over coffee.
It is kitchen sized, and comes in 2 versions, the regular Vario,. which grinds by timer (as does the mini e) and the slightly more expensive Vario-W, which grinds by weight, the later I own. Baratza's CS is also as good as it gets.

No experience with the Mini e, though it has it's fans. I believe it's price point is about $300 more than either a used SJ or a new Vario.

All 3 will do a fine job, but I'd say the SJ and Vario are more popular these days than the Mini e.

Hope that helps

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
greekespresso
greekespresso
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3, Gaggia...
Grinder: Mahlkönig Vario Home, Anfim...
Posted Fri Oct 26, 2012, 12:06am

F1 Said:

... Is the Mini-E still infirior on grind quality compared to the Baratza Vario?

Posted October 25, 2012 link

IMHO not even the slightest of chances for that. I do not even think that there is such a dilemma of the kind Mini-E or Home Vario, if someone can afford the Mini-E.
Finally, if you take out the whistles and bells the best value for money choice is a second hand but in good condition Super Jolly.

www.greekespresso.gr
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Fri Oct 26, 2012, 9:56am

F1 Said:

I've read in multiple forums that the Baratza Vario is pretty much on par with the Super Jolly and that both are better than Mini. I wonder if these people are refering to the regular Mini(58mm burr), the Mini-E(64mm burr) or both.

Posted October 25, 2012 link

I found the Baratza Vario superior to the Mazzer Mini with its 58mm burrs, and on a par with the Mazzer Super Jolly and its 64mm burrs.  I have not compared the Baratza side-by-side with the Mazzer Mini-E, but given its larger burr set, I would expect it to be comparable.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
hamish5178

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Oct 31, 2012, 10:07am

The Mini-E is definitely inferior to the SJ and Vario. Grind times are much higher, and there are clumping issues due to the anti-static screen. I have a SJ-E currently and clumping isn't as bad thanks to the higher speed (SJ burrs, though identical in diameter, have more aggressive cutting angles than the Mini-E burs) but I wouldn't want to deal with the WDT that a mini-E necessitates. I used to own a vario and it was totally clump free and ground only a hair slower than my SJ.

To me the Mini-E is just way overpriced for what it produces. You can get a brand new SJ for $675!

If you want convenience, get the Vario, if you want high build-quality, get the SJ. If you want both, get the SJ-E ;)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Vario,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.242175102234)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+