Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Grinder help UK
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Grinder help UK  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
espressodd

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Nov 5, 2012, 5:07am
Subject: Grinder help UK

Hi

I'm new to (proper) coffee and am struggling to decide on a grinder. I don't currently have a grinder and get grounds from the local deli at weekends.

I've read quite a bit on here about various budget grinders and don't want to spend too much initially. I have a cheap Delonghi EC152 machine at the moment andwill be upgrading to a Gaggia Classic, but first on the list is a decent but cheap grinder. I have been looking at the Iberital MC2 and Gaggia MDF as well as the Ascaso i-mini and eBay for a possibly used Rocky or even a Mazzer mini (although these seem to go out of my price range.

My budget is less than 150 and was thinking I might get a Porlex hand grinder in the meantime to see how I get on. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as would any info on where to get fresh roasted beans in Manchester, UK.

thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Mon Nov 5, 2012, 5:29am
Subject: Re: Grinder help UK

Welcome to CoffeeGeek!

As you probably know by now, you'll really need a capable grinder, if you want to get into making good espresso at home. "The grinder is more important that the espresso machine", is one of the most recited mantras here.

Two features are of utmost significance: it must be able to grind fine enough for espresso, and it ought to have a steplessly adjustable grinding gear. Out of the grinders you mentioned only the Iberital MC2, Ascaso i-mini, and Mazzer Mini are stepless. The steps of the Gaggia MDF and the Rancilio Rocky are pretty wide, which can lead to problems when trying to dial in the grinder, because you can get stuck in between two settings, i.e. one step is too coarse and the next already too fine.

I think the Ascaso will offer the best value for money on a limited budget. It's sturdy, has a good manufacturing quality and can grind very fine. Albeit it's a bit loud.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
espressodd

Posted Mon Nov 5, 2012, 9:50am

Thanks!
The Ascaso in my price range is the I-2 lower powered plastic version which I've read mixed reviews about, what is the feeling around this machine? Will the Porlex tall hand grinder give me a good espresso grind, albeit a stepped grinder?
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Mon Nov 5, 2012, 10:08am

My Porlex does go fine enough (with about 3 useful points of adjustment) for use with both my old Classic and my BZ07.  However, the steps are quite far apart, and it's probably not producing a true espresso grind, although it is producing tasty shots to my palate.  It's a good thing to have beside a main grinder though, for the odd decaf or special blend shot.
Mandheling

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Instantaneo
Posted Tue Nov 6, 2012, 4:51pm

Hi espressodd,

I don't know Manchester very well, but I get my coffee online from HasBean (http://www.hasbean.co.uk/). They usually ship within 24 hours of roasting and deliveries come first class so should arrive the following day - their service is slick and they produce some fantastic quality beans!

As for grinders, I believe the plastic Ascaso i2 is mechanically different from the metal version and isn't recommended.

Happy Donkey list the Iberital MC2 on their site for 114 (doserless) & 122 (doser) (http://www.happydonkey.co.uk/iberital-mc2-grinders.html). Their advice is always on the money and the fact that they stock them is enough of a recommendation for me (although I've never used one myself).

You'll always be able to get more grinder for your money second hand, but if you need to factor in the cost of a grinder and some basic spare parts (new burrs etc) then you're likely to struggle to get anything significantly better within your budget.

Hope this helps!

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Tue Nov 6, 2012, 5:11pm

espressodd Said:

Thanks!
The Ascaso in my price range is the I-2 lower powered plastic version which I've read mixed reviews about, what is the feeling around this machine? Will the Porlex tall hand grinder give me a good espresso grind, albeit a stepped grinder?

Posted November 5, 2012 link

I really would avoid the I-2

Owned one for a week before it went back.

Impossible to obtain a consistent grind suitable for espresso.

Looks good, but poorly engineered.

The I-1 is a different and much better grinder, but for some reason the reviews on here merge the two as if they were the same grinder, which they most definitely are not..
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Grinder help UK  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.235991954803)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+