Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Baratza Preciso Replacement Unit
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Preciso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Wed Dec 12, 2012, 6:34pm
Subject: Re: Baratza Preciso Replacement Unit

rpaulo Said:

I called Baratza and they sent me a replacement plastic ring (mine was broken). Now it's even worse. :-( I decided to upgrade to the Vario and I hope that will be the end of the story. Although the customer service is top notch, I'm not sure I'll buy from them again.

Posted December 11, 2012 link

Each persons experience is different. I bought my first burr grinder from Baratza, the Vituoso in 07', since I bought the Vario, the Preciso and the Esatto, and the Vario-W. Has it been trouble free? No. Hassle free? No. Has every problem been rectified? Yes Was every problem rectified in a timely manner to an overly caffeinated man? No. Was it recrtified in a timely manner for a normal human? Yes.  Bottom line is that this company goes above and beyond to take care of any single issue I have ever had. I have had the pleasure multiple times to have the owner, Kyle, handle the problems I was having even way out of warenty, they want you happy grinding with a functioning grinder.

There are plenty of commercial grinders out there that will perform in the home even when purchased used for years to come with little to no problems and a size to match. When my kids are old enough to do a full kitchen remodel I will have the espresso bar that will handle a titian grinder.

The Preciso blows the Vario away when it comes to coarse grind brews and the Vario set up for my espresso setup will not do grind coarse enough for the Brazen drip brewer.
 View Profile Link to this post
rpaulo

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Wed Dec 12, 2012, 10:58pm

germantownrob Said:

Each persons experience is different. I bought my first burr grinder from Baratza, the Vituoso in 07', since I bought the Vario, the Preciso and the Esatto, and the Vario-W. Has it been trouble free? No. Hassle free? No. Has every problem been rectified? Yes Was every problem rectified in a timely manner to an overly caffeinated man? No. Was it recrtified in a timely manner for a normal human? Yes.  Bottom line is that this company goes above and beyond to take care of any single issue I have ever had. I have had the pleasure multiple times to have the owner, Kyle, handle the problems I was having even way out of warenty, they want you happy grinding with a functioning grinder.

Posted December 12, 2012 link

Like I said, their customer service is top notch. They have solved my issue (assuming the Vario will work for several years) and I'm very thankful for that.

We made the personal decision not to buy from them again based on many factors namely:
  • the replacement policy (refubs vs. new)
  • the amount of $$ we spent on coffee beans to test broken grinders
  • the time between failures (2 months)
  • the fact that the first machine was defective and was never part of the Preciso recall they had months (or years?) ago

I understand that Baratza reads this forum. I also understand that they probably want to limit some of the financial damage created by broken grinders and can't upgrade everyone to the Vario for a lower price. First impressions are really important for a company.

germantownrob Said:

The Preciso blows the Vario away when it comes to coarse grind brews and the Vario set up for my espresso setup will not do grind coarse enough for the Brazen drip brewer.

Yes, the Preciso might be very good for coarse grinds, but I only care about Espresso grinds.
Izzo

Posted Wed Jul 10, 2013, 11:21pm

Here I am again, after 2 Preciso's in 4 months my new replacement Vario just stopped working after only 8 months.  At some point it's not just about customer service it's about getting a quality made robust product.  It really pains me to say this because like I've said all along when all three of these grinders were working they put out great espresso, but enough is enough.  You just cannot sell a plus $400 machine that craps out in 8 months.  The motor no longer runs even with the hopper safety switch engaged and the front panel LED's working.  I am pretty certain that I'm at my limit and once this machine gets fixed I'm putting it on eBay and getting a mazer or at least a grinder in that league.  My wife and I both drink 6 shots before noon everyday so we I cannot have that supply interrupted by having a non working grinder.
Rhinoevans

Espresso: La Spaziale S1, Starbucks...
Grinder: Rocky DL
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: N/A
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Jul 11, 2013, 8:10pm

I have been looking for a new grinder.  Read all the post on these grinders, and actually seemed to good to be true for the price.  I guess you get what you pay for.  My Rocky Doserless is 9 years old.  Still runs great and never had a problem.  In fact I have never replaced the burr set.  Just ordered a new set yesterday after reading most people replace after 2 years.  Mine still grinds great espresso. Maybe I wasted $30.  Will be interesting to see difference in new burr set.  Guess I will pass on these Baratza grinders. Great CS is not enough for me.  Just like the Breville DB, on paper great machine, CS outstanding from what I hear, but product reliability not so great.   Getting a quick replacement unit is not my idea of a good deal, just to save a few bucks on the purchase price.  JMHO
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Thu Jul 11, 2013, 10:07pm

germantownrob Said:

That is odd, Rob. My Vario W is set for espresso Macro 1 notch down from the top. Micro about 1/2 from the top. (K-ish)
Yet, my BraZen brew is perfect with my Macro at 5. I use a paper filter. With the provided mesh filter, I'd prolly go 6, maybe even 7.
You must REALLY be calibrated fine, but I can't see how it would be much different. Motor whine should occur pretty much the same for most users.
My tip with the BraZen is to try shortening the "pre-infuse" time to maybe 45 seconds, so as to avoid over extraction. YMMV :>D

EDIT for typos.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CarloM

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Thu Jul 18, 2013, 9:42am

Copying the bulk of my post in the other Preciso thread just to add to the "knowledge base" for people who are making grinder decisions. My original Preciso purchase was a new machine in March of 2012 (so the new model with the new burrs). The following is what happened:

----------------

There are definite QC issues with the Preciso. I bought my first one 18 months ago and the grind started drifting, me needing to turn it finer and finer to maintain an espresso grind until there were no more adjustments left. I never adjusted the grind unless the grinder was grinding. Contacted Baratza and was told that they changed calibration methods and cross-shipped a new one to me (so major points for customer service).

Over the course of several months the *exact same thing* happened. Talked to Baratza again. Was told they started gluing down adjustment ring (which others here have mentioned). Cross-shipped me a third one (again, major CS points).

Guess what. On my third Preciso, this time with the glued down adjustment ring. Same thing. So rather than get a fourth cross-shipped to me, I just contacted the place I bought it from who offered me a full credit towards a new grinder, and I bought a Mazzer Mini-E. I've never looked back. The grind quality and consistency are heads and shoulders above the Preciso. Yes going from $300 to a $700 grinder (whether it's the Mini-E or another comparable make/model) is steep. But in that price range and higher, it is likely "the last grinder you'll ever need" with only burr replacements in your future (and maybe motor replacement if you keep it long enough).

Just my own experience and advice, for you to take or leave.
jtferraro

Espresso: Starbucks (Saeco) Barista,...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Aerobie Aero Press
Drip: Bonavita Thermal
Roaster: none
Posted Thu Jul 18, 2013, 7:39pm

CarloM Said:

There are definite QC issues with the Preciso...

Posted July 18, 2013 link

Do you know if the Vario is more reliable?
CarloM

Posted Thu Jul 18, 2013, 8:29pm

I don't. I only know there were quite a few complaints about the Preciso, including with my reseller who said he'd heard from his colleagues about similar complaints from other customers regarding this make and model.

If there aren't a lot of threads about the Vario, that might be a safer model. But even when the Preciso wasn't out-of-spec, it's "best" grind didn't compare with the Mazzer Mini. So if the Vario uses a similar grind mechanism and burr, I'd counsel stepping up to a Mazzer or similar higher-end machine.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sun Jul 21, 2013, 8:43pm

CarloM Said:

Copying the bulk of my post in the other Preciso thread just to add to the "knowledge base" for people who are making grinder decisions. My original Preciso purchase was a new machine in March of 2012 (so the new model with the new burrs). The following is what happened:

----------------

Posted July 18, 2013 link

"Cross-posting" is not allowed on CG, and your post will hopefully be moderated as such.
"No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum."

This (the above quote)is posted at the bottom of every forum page

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CarloM

Posted Sun Jul 21, 2013, 11:06pm

IMAWriter Said:

"Cross-posting" is not allowed on CG, and your post will hopefully be moderated as such.
"No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum."

This (the above quote)is posted at the bottom of every forum page

Posted July 21, 2013 link

If the mods deem it inappropriate I welcome their actions, it's their forum.

However I interpret "no cross posting" differently, because here's what the forum rules actually say:

See that explanation: do not post your TOPIC to more than one forum or report the topic in the same forum. I do not read this to apply to REPLIES. What this rule is in place for, here and in many other forums, is to keep people from asking the same question over and over in multiple forums, or in the same one.

In my opinion, a helpful reply to someone else's unique topic, it should be allowed. For example, if I just bought a BRAND X espresso machine, and I post here that I have a problem with it, I sure hope that someone who has also had that problem with BRAND X would be allowed to reply to my thread, even though they may have replied to another person's thread with the exact same experience. That's not spamming the board. That's trying to help someone out with a problem even though you may have posted that same experience in a different thread.

Now if I just posted ten times in ten similarly worded topics in the same (or multiple) forums: my BRAND X espresso machine is broken, then I'm cross-posting/spamming the board.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Preciso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.343631982803)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+