Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Macap m2m - why nobody talks about this one?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Macap m2m - why...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
marcelmoura

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012, 4:02pm
Subject: Macap m2m - why nobody talks about this one?

Hi, after struggling a bit with cheap burr grinders, I convinced myself that everyone in this forum is right: the grinder is reeeeaaaallly the core of the whole thing, and one should really care about having a good one in order to have a nice cup of home made heavenly tasting espresso =P

So I searched a bit about several brands and came to this MACAP M2M, which can be found at about 400 USD. The grinder really seems to be OK, and I guess Macap knows how to make it, but surprisingly enough, I haven't heard many people talking about this one. Why is it so? Does anyone out there have any opinion about it that could help?

Thanks so much!
 View Profile Link to this post
yakster
yakster
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012, 4:18pm
Subject: Re: Macap m2m - why nobody talks about this one?

I don't have any opinion on the MACAP M2M, not having any experience with this grinder, but a review of the specs shows that it is a stepped grinder using 50 mm burrs.  The more commonly discussed Macap grinders utilize 58 mm burr sizes and stepless grind settings.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012, 6:27pm

Agreed...I think it's because not many people who come here (if any) own one.  I own 2 M4s, and love them both.  They are great grinders, and have had excellent expert reviews...but as said above, they have 58mm flat burrs sets and are stepless (at least mine are both stepless).  Not only that, you can pick up a black one from Chris' Coffee Service for just under $500.  Of course, you, being in Norway, would probably choose a different vendor. IMHO, the price difference is well worth the upgrade in quality for the larger burr set and stepless adjustment (I don't know if there is a further difference in motor between the two - but one could easily look that up).

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
marcelmoura

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012, 2:38pm

Dear yakster and emradguy, thaks for your replies. So the difference in burr size 50->58mm does give an important effect on the grind quality. I think a doserless stepless model would suit me best, since I only have one or two shots per day and want to use the grinder only for espresso. Is the Macap MC4 the model you own emradguy? If so, do you have any information regarding the amount of coffee that is left inside the grinder after each grinding? I have a friend who owns an Ascaso i-mini and he concerns a lot about this... I like to change the kind of coffee quite frequently, so having a grinder that does not retain too much grains is also important.
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012, 4:17pm

No, I have an M4 and an M4T. I consider grind retention minor. If you remove the finger guard in the hopper, you can get your brush right down to the burrs.

My understanding about why larger burrs are better is that it requires less grinding to achieve the same dose (more grinds per revolution). This can help reduce heating. Maybe there are other reasons too? Also people debate conical v flat, but that's more of a flavor profile thing.

dorkroast
dorkroast

Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Cheapo Melitta pourover
Roaster: Behmor, Popcorn Pumper
Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012, 5:30pm

I looked at the Macap line while I was looking for a grinder but then found the Mazzer Mini for $500 new which was the same or less than the Macap grinders I had been looking at. Sorta made the decision for me.
gbastiani1952
gbastiani1952

Espresso: QM Andreja Premium
Grinder: Cimbali Junior
Drip: Crusinart
Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012, 6:00pm

When I was looking for a new grinder I was looking at the Macap MC4 stepless, but got a Cimbali Junior on sale for price as the MC4. But it has bigger burrs 64mm vs 58mm.

Gery Bastiani
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012, 1:06pm

dorkroast Said:

I looked at the Macap line while I was looking for a grinder but then found the Mazzer Mini for $500 new which was the same or less than the Macap grinders I had been looking at. Sorta made the decision for me.

Posted November 16, 2012 link

gbastiani1952 Said:

When I was looking for a new grinder I was looking at the Macap MC4 stepless, but got a Cimbali Junior on sale for price as the MC4. But it has bigger burrs 64mm vs 58mm.

Posted November 16, 2012 link

Here's a great article comparing this class of grinders from Home Barista. http://www.home-barista.com/espresso-grinder-features.html Basically comes down to personal preference, but if one is trying to decide between those listed here, it's definitely worth reading.

dorkroast
dorkroast

Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Cheapo Melitta pourover
Roaster: Behmor, Popcorn Pumper
Posted Sun Nov 18, 2012, 7:57pm

Thanks for linking the article. I read that before I purchased my grinder and I found it helpful.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Macap m2m - why...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.285998106003)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+