Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Rocky doserless grinder
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Rocky doserless...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Spankee1670

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 5:04pm
Subject: Rocky doserless grinder

Inuse lavazza super cream,what grinder setting should I use? I have an Expobar brewtus Iv.

EDIT:
Moved by Moderator to correct Forum
 View Profile Link to this post
Vivaldi

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Spaziale Vivaldi II
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 8:49pm
Subject: Re: Rocky doserless grinder

The zero point on the Rocky is when the burrs touch slightly, and it is actually quite normal for the zero point on the dial not to match the actual zero point when the burrs touch.

Grinding espresso with the Rocky can be done anywhere in the 5 to 10 range, which you would then add to your actual zero point on the dial. You can always double check yourself by feeling the grind consistency with your fingers (like sugar) and taste testing your espresso! Good luck.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 7:18am

UH, what he said about zero but you really need fresh coffee, what you have is hopelessly stale. Fresh is within two weeks of the day it was roasted. Look for one of these vendors for your coffee, they are not the only place to buy fresh coffee in the U.S. but the list is a good starting place.
Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 10:01am

calblacksmith Said:

UH, what he said about zero but you really need fresh coffee, what you have is hopelessly stale.

Posted November 20, 2012 link

AND . . . you seriously need to upgrade your grinder!

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, Preciso/Esatto, KyM...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 10:22am

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

Posted November 21, 2012 link

Well, Jason, the Rocky, while not as flexible or consistent can still enable excellent shots. I had one, and used it with Anita way back when.
There are a couple of mods that will make it significantly better. One is a simple tape mod for the burr carrier 9as I remember0 the other, which IO never performed was another mod that makes it a stepless grinder.
As has been said above, fresh beans are absolutely required for consistency, flavor and robust crema.

That said, I've read posts on HB extolling the virtues of one of the Miscela italian espresso whole bean blends (NOT the d'oro) that produces excellent espresso, though 3-6 months old. I have yet to experience it, so fresh roasted for me.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Spankee1670

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 10:24am

Why,the rocky gets good reviews.what would you recomend?
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 7:21pm

IMAWriter Said:

Well, Jason, the Rocky, while not as flexible or consistent can still enable excellent shots. I had one, and used it with Anita way back when.

Robert?  See THIS reply to the same OP in a different thread . . .

JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 7:24pm

Spankee1670 Said:

Actually, it doesn't.  The Rocky was a great grinder . . . 6-10 years ago.  Since then, many other grinders have surpassed it.  Go back to your post about upgrading your machine.  You'd be MUCH better served by upgrading the grinder.

NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Nov 22, 2012, 6:33am

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

IMAWriter Said:

Well, Jason, the Rocky, while not as flexible or consistent can still enable excellent shots ...

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

... The Rocky was a great grinder . . . 6-10 years ago.  Since then, many other grinders have surpassed it.  Go back to your post about upgrading your machine.  You'd be MUCH better served by upgrading the grinder.

Spankee1670 Said:

First of all, I think it can be agreed upon that the Rancilio Rocky is capable of consistently grinding fine enough for espresso, therefore you can pull great shots with it. It's also rock solid and durable.

BUT, and I believe that's what Jason refers to, the Rocky is a stepped grinder with all its disadvantages, and the steps are pretty wide. Therefore, when you try to dial in the Rocky correctly, you can end up stuck in between two steps, i.e. one setting is too coarse and the next too fine for proper extraction, because the ideal setting would be in between these two steps. You might try to tamp differently to some effect, but the only way to really compensate this shortcomming is to adjust your dose accordingly, which can alter taste significantly. That's why a stepless grinder is much better.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Thu Nov 22, 2012, 8:31am

NobbyR Said:

First of all, I think it can be agreed upon that the Rancilio Rocky is capable of consistently grinding fine enough for espresso, therefore you can pull great shots with it. It's also rock solid and durable.

BUT, and I believe that's what Jason refers to, the Rocky is a stepped grinder with all its disadvantages, and the steps are pretty wide. Therefore, when you try to dial in the Rocky correctly, you can end up stuck in between two steps, i.e. one setting is too coarse and the next too fine for proper extraction, because the ideal setting would be in between these two steps. You might try to tamp differently to some effect, but the only way to really compensate this shortcomming is to adjust your dose accordingly, which can alter taste significantly. That's why a stepless grinder is much better.

Posted November 22, 2012 link

Also read this please to get a true understanding of the lack of precision regarding the upper burr carrier to the lower receiver housing play/slop: "Re: Just some interesting Rocky observations..."

For the Rocky to truely perform at his best, it'd need a spring arrangment like on the Mazzer Mini & such.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Rocky doserless...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.387861967087)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+