Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
New wanna be home barista - about to order my first home setup
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > New wanna be...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
jalanc

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Nov 26, 2012, 2:19am
Subject: Re: New wanna be home barista - about to order my first home setup

Thanks for all the input guys.

Skylar, whichever unit I do choose, I have someone in the US who I can have the machine be sent to and they can ship over to me here.  That's actually the reason why I was so concerned with the reliability issues I have read of the Baratza grinders.  Although I do make yearly trips to the US, it would be a shame if I had to wait for months in case I receive a defective grinder.  Servicing might be an issue as well.  
Gaggia has a distributor here in the country so the espresso machine should be covered somewhat.  Lelit has a distributor in Hong Kong (or so I have read), so I am seriously considering them as well.

So far, I am down to either the deal by Lelit (PL041 and PL53) or the Gaggia Classic refurb + Vario refurb.

I have a newb question:  is the wand of the classic that bad?  Assuming I will just use it for cappuccinos and macchiatos, will the built in one suffice?
 View Profile Link to this post
jalanc

Posted Mon Nov 26, 2012, 2:22am

I havent considered hand grinders at all - I don't think I have enough time to manually grind every time I need to.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Nov 27, 2012, 9:03am

diggi Said:

+1. I intentionally left this beauty out of my post as it is not really tested by the masses as of yet and unclear if this will be a true winner.  I certainly hope it is.  I have been lusting after this grinder for weeks now, but have yet to pull the trigger.  I know I already have enough $$ tied up in gear at the moment, but would love it if this one pans out.  And yes, once you factor in the mods for pharos, they are pretty close in price (only the pharos is still more portable).

Posted November 25, 2012 link

yeah, I hesitated mentioning it for that same reason (not being tested by the masses yet), but like you, I've been reading about it a lot and lusting after it.  I pretty much have the cash saved up, but of course, not only are there other things to spend it on, there's the wife factor.

jalanc Said:

I have a newb question:  is the wand of the classic that bad?  Assuming I will just use it for cappuccinos and macchiatos, will the built in one suffice?

Posted November 26, 2012 link

A lot of people replace the wand with a Silvia v1 wand.  They're pretty easy to come by as many Silvia v1 owners have upgraded to the articulating version.  In fact, I think my brother-in-law still has the old v1 wand laying around (as he has my old Silvia and I had done the upgrade before I shipped it to him).  If you want it, pm me and I'll send it to you for $10 plus shipping.  He's coming to my house this Thursday, so I can ask him to bring it.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
jalanc

Posted Mon Dec 3, 2012, 12:29am

Thanks mate I'll definitely take you up on this as soon as I process my order.  Just managing my timing now, but I've more or less settled on getting a refurbed gaggia classic and refurbed vario combo.  Thanks so much for all the helpful suggestions here.  

I will be posting again soon on how my home setup goes.  Thanks!
dorkroast
dorkroast

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Cheapo Melitta pourover
Roaster: Behmor, Popcorn Pumper
Posted Tue Dec 4, 2012, 4:48pm

I purchased a set up similar to what you want...but it was slightly higher than your $800 budget.

$320 for the Gaggia classic new from WLL.
$500 for a Mazzer Mini from 1st Line.

So $820ish.

For me, I didn't see the point in buying a new Baratza which ran at nearly the price of the Mini when I personally felt the mini was a better grinder.

Couldn't be happier with my combo. I may someday replace/upgrade the Classic, but I don't think there will ever be a need to upgrade my grinder.

side note- I've heard you can find some very good prices on a used Mazzer SJ. I wish I had looked at them prior to buying the Mini but I didn't.
jalanc

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012, 12:55am

Hi dorkroast, how does the Mini compare with the Baratza?  Can you point me towards some of the sites you have gone through to make this decision?  Although I'm very attracted to the price of the refurbed Vario, I'm pushing off my purchase until next year.
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012, 1:55pm

jalanc Said:

Hi dorkroast, how does the Mini compare with the Baratza?

Posted December 19, 2012 link

Consider the the quality of the Vario's grind is frequently compared to that of the Mazzer Super Jolly (step up from the Mini).  Jury's out on long term reliability.  Mazzers will certainly last nearly forever.

jalanc Said:

Grinder : Refurbushed Preciso (USD 239); Refurbished Vario (USD 360) , Refurbished Vario W (USD 440), or Rancillio Rocky

Posted November 22, 2012 link

Don't even bother with the Rocky.  There are plenty of recent threads you can refer to if you really want to dig into that.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > New wanna be...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.299468994141)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+