Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Trashing a Jura J5 and searching for a grinder!
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Trashing a Jura...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
herbert

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Nov 27, 2012, 10:40am
Subject: Trashing a Jura J5 and searching for a grinder!

Dear All
My Jura J5 bean to cup machine has finally died and may have done me a great favour as I have become enlightened to a new world of coffee out there.
After dismantling the J5 I could not believe how difficult it was to get to the filthy and unhygienic inner workings of this machine. Jura really go out of their way to make sure you cannot get to the brew group etc and it was full of fungus etc.
Anyway, I wish to start with a new grinder and want to get this right first time to save future expense on upgrades etc.
We mainly drink long coffees in our house- americano and not espresso but I understand a good grinder is essential for pour-over/filter/aeropress etc and have short-listed the following grinders:

Eureka Mignon Mk 2
Baratza Vario
Mazzer mini electronic doserless mod A

I would like to know is it really worth the extra money to go for the Mazzer that everyone rates so highly when I do not intend to use this for espresso at present (I may in the future, of course).
I will be making different coffee styles- from aeropress to filter and how easy is it to hop from one coarseness of grind to another and back again and also to get reproduceable results?
Is the convenience of the Vario likely to score over the Mazzer or will I be missing out on a superior cup of coffee?
Am I barking up the wrong tree and should I lower my sights? i don't want to be disappointed and have to replace a poor decision.
Last question- how tall is the Mazzer with the 600 g hopper as it needs to fit on a work top with 17" clearance- the standard hopper would not fit . I cannot find these dimensions with the smaller hopper anywhere.

Many thanks in advance
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Nov 27, 2012, 11:04am
Subject: Re: Trashing a Jura J5 and searching for a grinder!

The Mazzer Mini should fit under your cabinets, but you'll probably have to slide it or rotate it to refill the hopper.  However, best to be sure, and its dimensions should be in this link, which is actually very good reading about the class of grinder you're looking at...
http://www.home-barista.com/espresso-grinder-reviews.html

I know of one guy here, who posts a lot and is very knowledgeable, who likes his Vario better than the Mini, but he does espresso only.  I can't think of any posts offhand answering your question about using one of these grinders for drip/pourover, and don't feel like I should be the one to speculate (better to leave this to someone who actually knows the answer).

Sorry to hear about the Jura. It sounds pretty disgusting...and would certainly turn me off to ever owning another one if I were in the same boat.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Tue Nov 27, 2012, 11:51am

Well i had to through 2 high dollar Jura's in the trash before i got it through my think skull so your already ahead of me but believe me when i say i feel your pain :0)

To me the Vario is slam dunk no questions asked over the Mazzer Mini save maybe longevity. I have owned the Vario, the Mini, the Jolly and the Major.  IMO were grind quality is concerned the Vario is more comparable to the Jolly than the mini. I do prefer my Major (its the one i kept) for espresso and sold the Vario.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Nov 27, 2012, 12:12pm

If you are not making espresso, don't buy an espresso only grinder such as the mini.
The Vario does a good job of grinding for multiple brew methods, or so those here that have them say, I do not have one but I do have a lot of respect for some of the people here that do have and like them.

Super auto machines, for the most part, are not designed for in depth user maintance as far as I know so it does not shock me that you have a lot of trouble taking it apart.

A good grinder will help you with all brewing and it is worth the investment to buy a good one.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
moreshots

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Cimbali DT1//Jura Z5
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Pharos
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Made my own 2KG roaster
Posted Fri Dec 7, 2012, 6:08am

I also made this decision approximately 1 year ago and bought a used mazzer mini. its a great little grinder and built like a tank . it has worked very well for me and I had heard of horror story's about repairs to the varios

resale of the Vario will not be as good as the mazzer. Now I am saving for a Conical as I bought a pharos 68mm conical and love the grind but not the manual grinding hense the Compak
best of luck. also the mazzer will make std grind coffee easily as well as espresso grind.

jwoodyu Said:

Well i had to through 2 high dollar Jura's in the trash before i got it through my think skull so your already ahead of me but believe me when i say i feel your pain :0)

To me the Vario is slam dunk no questions asked over the Mazzer Mini save maybe longevity. I have owned the Vario, the Mini, the Jolly and the Major.  IMO were grind quality is concerned the Vario is more comparable to the Jolly than the mini. I do prefer my Major (its the one i kept) for espresso and sold the Vario.

Posted November 27, 2012 link

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Trashing a Jura...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.222461938858)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+