Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Mazzer Super Jolly Folly: Distribution
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Mazzer Super...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Posted Sat Dec 1, 2012, 7:01pm
Subject: Mazzer Super Jolly Folly: Distribution

Has anyone been able to use the dosered super jolly and been able to get a proper extraction without having to do some sort distribution trick?  Personally i dont think i've had any proper extractions without a bunch of nutating of the coffee(i'll go n-s, e-w, ne-sw, nw-se, etc etc) during the entire time i've owned it(coming up to a year maybe)

Am i doing something wrong?  I've used many many many many different types of fresh coffee.  Used older decent burrs and new burrs(they now have about 40lbs of coffee through it).   Been single dosing pre-weighed doses into a naked portafilter from day one.  

In contrast, i've been using a robur E and kony E at work and all i really need to do there is press the button, collect the grinds into the basket, tap, distribute and light even tamp and i'll get back to back to back consistent extractions each time.  I use a double spouted portafilter so i cant see what's going on but considering the extraction time and the visual queues of the stream and the taste, things seems to be working well.
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Dec 3, 2012, 6:35am
Subject: Re: Mazzer Super Jolly Folly: Distribution

You are talking apples and oranges. The E versions, use a funnel not a doser, if you put a doser on your work grinders, you will  have the same situation as home. If you put a funnel on the SJ, the output will be the same, it isn't the grinder, SJs are very good grinders.

I have used SJs and Majors both with dosers and with funnels and my PERSONAL preference is for the doser. it allows you to simply push a button and the grind will be waiting for you when you need it allowing you to do something else while the grinder grinds, you don't need to stand at the grinder when it is doing it's job. I simply groom the dosed coffee to be even in the basket, I don't WDT etc. Tamp and pull. Mazzer dosers are famous for the left side throw though so you need to account for that and most often just rotating the PF in the fork from "lock to lock" while dosing will get you 90% of the way there.

One other thing. I use a timer on my Mazzers so I grind by time like the E versions do with a full or at least with a load of beans in the hopper. I also use a naked Pf so I can slide it to the left of the Pf fork to really make the left throw to no affect and my distrubition is mostly to get rid of the hump in the center of the basket before tamping. I do NESW tamp but that is only because my presspoint has a slightly smaller head than my basket is.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JonR10
JonR10
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Dec 3, 2012, 9:15am

Try a Schectermatic Schnozzola

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
JGG
JGG
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: PID Silvia; PID Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Hottop D w/HTC+TC4C
Posted Mon Dec 3, 2012, 10:38am

JonR10 Said:

Posted December 3, 2012 link

+1.  Once installed on my SJ's doser, I have experienced nothing but no-fiddle espresso bliss ;-)

Jim
frank828

Posted Mon Dec 3, 2012, 2:53pm

JonR10 Said:

forgot to mention that I already have that on my SJ.
frank828

Posted Mon Dec 3, 2012, 2:58pm

calblacksmith Said:

I do NESW tamp but that is only because my presspoint has a slightly smaller head than my basket is.

i think the NESW is what is bugging me more than anything else.  

what happens to your shot if you dont do the NESW?  spritzing or super fast channeling like me?
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Dec 4, 2012, 5:31am

The biggest problem I have if I do not do that is that I have more grounds stuck into the dispersion screen causing more of a cleanup.

In MY case, I don't have any affect on the shot, just cleanup. The size difference is not a lot but it is enough to get a ring of uncompressed coffee above the compressed puck. If I NSEW, that ring is compressed and stays out of the screen. &.... YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Mazzer Super...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.269675016403)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+