Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
help with just purchased grinder
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > help with just...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
chin

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Dec 4, 2012, 2:12am
Subject: help with just purchased grinder

hi all

new to the forum - been browsing for a while but now need some help if possible please.

I've had a Delonghi Cafe Treviso machine for a few years, but never really understood coffee.
I just made it and assumed it was right!

Only after reading some more did I realise that it's a million miles from right - and one of the main problems I had was I was grinding my own beans with a blade grinder. Savage I hear you say.

So, still being a coffee novice I took the plunge and purchased a "GAGGIA MDF" on Amazon for 140 (or $225 for everyone across the pond).
When I opened the box from Amazon I noticed that the Gaggia Box had already been opened (the sticker covering the opening was cut) and the polystyrene was covered in coffee grinds.
Immediately it screamed "used" to me, yet there was a sticker inside the hopper that states that the manufacturer tests the product and that some coffee traces might be found inside the machine.

Is this normal? If so, why would the sticker across the opening be broken? Surely Gaggia would seal it properly!

The other problem I have is that the portafilter of my Delonghi Treviso is too deep to fit in the MDF.

Do I send the MDF back and investigate another grinder for a similar amount? Or do I get a new coffee machine?

Is the MDF with coffee already in it "normal" or should I ask for a replacement? Is there any way of knowing how much use it may have had from looking at the burrs?

Any help would be appreciated - I'm a little bit in limbo at the mo!!

Chin
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Dec 4, 2012, 7:48am
Subject: Re: help with just purchased grinder

Hi and welcome to CG!

Glad to see you've gotten yourself a decent grinder.  Yes, it can be normal to find some grinds in them from factory testing. However, like you, I would expect it to be properly packaged when it left there.  Why would they bother to put a sticker seal on the box, only to cut it open before shipping? If you bought the grinder from a reputable dealer, you might want to ask them if they are in the habit of retesting the grinders before shipping them. If you bought it from a random person, I suspect you've been had...not to say it isn't in good shape.  How old is the grinder?  You might find a manufacture date on the bottom of it.  The burrs of most grinders generally last somewhere in the range of several hundred pounds of beans, and having just looked on goolge, I see you can get replacement burrs here in the US for about $50.  Have you plugged it in and turned it on? If the motor is fine and the burrs are new looking, you're probably good to go. If there is a good coffee house near you, you might consider bringing it in to ask the barista to take a quick look at it and see if he/she thinks it's in good shape (you may have to give them a nice tip).

Regarding the pf not fitting...well, there are several options.  yeah, sure you could just buy another espresso machine, but that's a little extreme if you're only goal is to get ground coffee into the basket. Now, if you want to upgrade anyways, well, that's a different story.  You could use a small prep dish, like they sell at kitchen stores to catch the grounds and then transfer them to the pf basket, or you could remove the basket from the handle and use it to catch then grounds.  if you do this, you may want to take the spring out of the handle, so the basket goes in and out more easily.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
chin

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Dec 5, 2012, 6:50am

thanks for the reply

I tried it for the first time last night and WOW - what a difference a decent grinder makes!

Before with my blade grinder the espresso was coming out just like black coffee.
Now with the MDF on setting 4 there is some really nice crema coming out on the shots. In fact a crema that's so thick that when you drop sugar on it, it takes a few seconds to fall through.

The only main issue I have is that the pf doesnt fit, very annoying.

Does anyone know if I am able to get a shallower pf for my Delonghi machine to use with this grinder?
The machine is still working and pulling a decent shot now so would be a waste of money to just get a new machine to use with the grinder but kind of in a dilemma!
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Dec 5, 2012, 7:48am

chin Said:

thanks for the reply

I tried it for the first time last night and WOW - what a difference a decent grinder makes!

Posted December 5, 2012 link

you're welcome.

Sadly, we see a lot of posts here from newbies who say things like...I want a great machine, but I'm going to keep using my crappy blade grinder, or "I'll worry about the grinder later" (and stick with preground for now).  Maybe you can contribute to the replies to those statement?

chin Said:

...a crema that's so thick that when you drop sugar on it, it takes a few seconds to fall through.

sounds perfect!

chin Said:

The only main issue I have is that the pf doesnt fit, very annoying.

Hopefully, someone else who owns a DeLonghi wil chime in here and help you with the pf handle.  Until then, s mentioned before, you can remove the basket to use it by itself, or use something else to catch your grounds and then transfer them into the basket.  These methods will actually make it easier for you to weigh your doses too.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > help with just...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.256813764572)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+