Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Breville Smart Grinder
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Breville Smart...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
tglodjo
tglodjo
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Wave, V60, Chemex, Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Oct 16, 2012, 10:31am
Subject: Breville Smart Grinder

I'm new to the forums, so please forgive me if this topic has been addressed. I'm curious if anyone has had some experience with the Breville Smart Grinder. I got it for a steal at an open box store and it seems to work great for me. But I'm also an espresso noob. The features make it an extremely convenient grinder, and there is absolutely no mess. BUT, everyone seems to talk about the Baratza Preciso or Vario or Rancilio Rocky. I'm using a Rancilio Silvia. Thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated.
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Oct 16, 2012, 11:11am
Subject: Re: Breville Smart Grinder

Smart Grinder is a good grinder especially for the money and what it offers, about the only thing negative for it is it doesn't have the full adjustability of the Preciso (which is why I upgraded to that) and the motor I don't think was as powerful as Baratzas'. But otherwise it's a great grinder with some nifty features, locking hopper was cool, you don't realize how convenient that is until you use it lol. I had no problem pulling good espresso shots, and shims are easy to add if you wanted a bit more espresso range, but once in awhile you may want a bit more range to dial a shot and find you don't have much/no room, especially as beans age. I would say it's more comparable to the Virtuoso, but the Preciso outperforms both for espresso since it acts almost like a stepless grinder. Excellent grinder for coarse needs too though, very consistent there.

You should see what serial number the grinder is, b/c Breville made adjustments at some point last year or early this year (shims, closer tolerances with the burrs etc). May as well try it out and see how you like it with your Silvia.

Considering what an amazing job Breville did with the Dual Boiler machine, it would be cool if they came out with a more solid grinder edging towards espresso needs in the realm of the Preciso/Vario. I always liked it's digital interface and blue lights and it's overall look, just needs more adjustability and beefier internals.
hotwasabipeas
hotwasabipeas
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: KitchenAid ProLine
Drip: Keurig Vue, B70,Tassimo T65,...
Roaster: Wear Ever Popcorn Pumper...
Posted Tue Oct 16, 2012, 1:08pm

Amazon dropped the price on the Smart Grinder by almost $20 today : Click Here (www.amazon.com)

Please visit my website!

www.planetwasabi.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Tue Oct 16, 2012, 2:39pm

tglodjo Said:

I'm new to the forums, so please forgive me if this topic has been addressed.

Posted October 16, 2012 link

Coffee Geek Discussions on the Breville Smart Grinder

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
clynch

Grinder: Smartgrinder
Roaster: Freshroast
Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 7:14am

I have the smartgringer and added the shims.  Numbers are imprinted on the bottom.  After 1150 a change was made and the machine grinds much finer without shims.  My daughter has this one and the difference is obvious.  I grind for a plain old percolator (still can't decide on an espresso machine).  She has the breville double boiler.  Her smartgrinder has no issues what so ever grinding fine enough for the bdb.    She can easily choke it out on the smaller settings.  I've had mine for a year.  No issues.  Works well and I love it.  She tells me hers grinds on the fine side.

Charlie
mrh372

Espresso: Breville ESP8XL
Grinder: Breville BCG800XL
Vac Pot: not yet
Drip: Bunn Brew ST
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 7:26am

I've had my Smart Grinder for about a year now and have been very pleased.    Grind for French press, drip, and espresso.  I have had issues when grinding fine enough for Turkish.  It grinds fine enough for Turkish, just clogged up though.  (perhaps too oily beans?) So I just use my Hario hand grinder for that.

Easy to adjust, works great with the portafilter holder, and the auto dosing is a very nice feature.

Though the lid does seal, the bottom of course is not since that is where the burrs and shoot are so I don't keep coffee in the hopper.

-mike
daduck748

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (2012)
Grinder: Breville BMF600XL
Posted Fri Dec 14, 2012, 6:10pm

I've had my Breville Smart Grinder for about 4 months now and I haven't had any complaints about it yet.  Things I can complain about, there are work arounds for.

Mine has 24-25 positions on it I think and true, sometimes you want something in between, but in the end, after spending about $300 for it, it's not about to be sent back, yeah, since it does help output some decent espresso.

The biggest pain is when you switch beans, then you're adjusting about +/- 5 positions either way to get it right.  Now that I've tried about 10 different varieties, I've chosen my "favorite" beans and only have to go up or down 1 (MAYBE 2) positions between the night shots and morning shots.

Clumps have become a small issue for me, but I get around that with the WDT move and now my espresso is 10x better.  Maybe I just need to clean out my grinder more often.  I don't mind.  It gives me 15 minutes of pretending that I'm a barista. :D

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sat Dec 15, 2012, 8:37am

tglodjo Said:

I'm new to the forums, so please forgive me if this topic has been addressed. I'm curious if anyone has had some experience with the Breville Smart Grinder. I got it for a steal at an open box store and it seems to work great for me. But I'm also an espresso noob. The features make it an extremely convenient grinder, and there is absolutely no mess. BUT, everyone seems to talk about the Baratza Preciso or Vario or Rancilio Rocky. I'm using a Rancilio Silvia. Thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Posted October 16, 2012 link

I have had my Breville Smart Grinder for well over a year now.  Out of the box it has been fine for my lever pavoni, clever, DCM900, french press, vacuum NICRO.  A good spread of differing grind levels there.  The only issue I have with it is if you attempt to grind lightly roasted beans too fine; it tends to jam.  Otherwise no issues.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Ringer
Ringer

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3
Grinder: Breville Smart Ginder
Drip: Cuisinart Coffeemaker...
Posted Mon Jan 7, 2013, 2:40pm

I've had my Breville Smart Grinder with shim kit installed since August 2011 and have had a ton of problems with. While it does grind fine enough for my Rancilio and makes a nice cup of espresso, it gets jammed on beans every cup I grind. I've done the obvious like running the grinder when I adjust to a finer setting but I haven't had to adjust it in a while (rarely I'll have to do a small adjustment when I get a different roast). The problem has gotten worse with age, in the beginning about every couple roasts one of them would cause jamming. Now, every grind, no matter what roast, I have to pop off the hopper and remove a jammed bean. My current fix is to gradually pour beans into the hopper while it is grinding rather than fill the hopper. It still gets jammed frequently but works a little better. One way or another its a headache I'd rather not have so I'll be upgrading soon, just trying to decide on which grinder now.
daduck748

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (2012)
Grinder: Breville BMF600XL
Posted Mon Jan 7, 2013, 6:43pm

Ok, so I decided to start weighing my grinds.  I got a small scale on Amazon for $10 and I'm finding I am using too many beans per shot!  With the Breville Smart Grinder, I started with the standard 14g of grinds and adjusted the amount +/- to get a 25 second shot.  Some beans I was trying (Dillanos) which was fine with a coarser grind.  But when I weighed out 14g, the Breville couldn't grind it fine enough to get a 25 second shot.  The best I could get was a 15 second shot and had no aroma.  Good thing Dillano is not my "choice" bean.

Oh, about 5-6 months in, some beans get stuck and the burr keeps spinning.  I just pretend I'm the Fonz and give it a whack on the hopper and it starts up again.

Anyway, now I'm looking into a Gaggia MDF.  Who knows if it's better or not.  I believe it's on sale at WLL for $199.  I'm thinking real hard.

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Breville Smart...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.28088593483)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+