Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Vario settings problem or Roast problem?  HELP.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Vario settings...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Chanty

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Vario, had an MDF
Vac Pot: none
Drip: none
Roaster: I buy beans from many...
Posted Fri Dec 14, 2012, 4:30pm
Subject: Vario settings problem or Roast problem?  HELP.

I buy, 90% of the time; my freshly roasted beans from a local roastery.  I was told by the roastery that I have been buying beans from  for years--that they roast fresh every day.  My Vario grinder is set even finer than normal, as finer goes better with my Gaggia Classic.  When I grind beans, the macro has been set on 2, and the micro on S-T for freshest beans.  As the beans get older (1 week or so), I can normally push the micro anywhere from O to P.  
Just bought fresh beans 2 days ago.   Settings were as normal for very fresh beans (2-Macro, S Micro).  Tamped as normal,  espresso came through fast & sour  tasting.  I ended up having to put the Macro on 1 and the Micro on P.  Still coming through faster than I would want.  
Can anyone tell me why this would happen all the sudden?  Appreciate your input.
 View Profile Link to this post
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Sat Dec 15, 2012, 2:24am
Subject: Re: Vario settings problem or Roast problem?  HELP.

This may seem like a Stupid question but, Can you choke the machine with your grinder with those beans with the grinder on its finest setting?

Have you properly calibrated your Vario yet if the answer above is no?

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Chanty

Posted Sat Dec 15, 2012, 11:27am

No, it did not choke.  Like I mentioned, the coffee was coming out fast & sour--furthest thing from choking.  The Vario has been calibrated to work with my Gaggia Classic which requires finer grinding.  That's why with it working perfect since I got it--only a few months back (2nd one)  I don't understand why (if I am using the same beans) this would happen.  I was hoping I would get more replies.
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Sat Dec 15, 2012, 12:17pm

Chanty Said:

No, it did not choke.  Like I mentioned, the coffee was coming out fast & sour--furthest thing from choking.  The Vario has been calibrated to work with my Gaggia Classic which requires finer grinding.  That's why with it working perfect since I got it--only a few months back (2nd one)  I don't understand why (if I am using the same beans) this would happen.  I was hoping I would get more replies.

Posted December 15, 2012 link

I have had 3 Vario's over the last 3 years and at some point when the new burrs "season" I have to calibrate finer. Other then a grinder issue beans and roast levels can have drastic effects on grind settings. Even when buying the same bean from a roaster who gets the same variety from the same farm every year it is an agricultural crop and will vary year to year. Same bean at a different roast level will also require a different grind to same results from each roast level. 1-3 day old beans for espresso can be next to impossible to get consistent shots since the beans are off gassing so much CO2.
rabbit

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: v.3  miss sylvia
Grinder: baratza  vario, encore
Vac Pot: presspot
Roaster: fresh roast sr300
Posted Sat Dec 15, 2012, 4:40pm

do you use a scale??
Chanty

Posted Sat Dec 15, 2012, 4:50pm

No I do not use a scale.  I have done it the same way for many years & normally works perfection.  I use a 1/4 cup of beans for a double shot.   This is not the problem (not using a scale) because like I said, have done it this same way for many years.  This is a new issue.  I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't a problem with the roast this time.  I've used this roast for many years (freshly roasted), and I use Red Bird.  Just a problem with this last roast.....
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Sat Dec 15, 2012, 5:54pm

Sounds like you have found your issue with this particular roast.  Like Rob said, there is no way a roaster can use the exact same beans in a blend year after year. The beans must change at least by the crop year.
I roast and blend my own. If I dial in a great blend, I will sometimes stick with it for a few months until one or more of the beans runs out. During this period. I rarely have to adjust the grind at all. Sometimes back and forth just a bit to deal with the 3-10 day aging of the beans.  Along comes a new bean in the blend and I may have to shift the grind a half or whole turn.  

If you know your local roaster well, I'm sure he would level with you on how he goes about tuning his blend as the crop cycles require.  Maybe he can confirm what you suspect.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Vario settings...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.239120006561)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+