Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Kyocera vs. Capresso Infinity (other suggestions)?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Kyocera vs....  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
RNAV

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office Lever
Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 5:17am
Subject: Kyocera vs. Capresso Infinity (other suggestions)?

Disclaimer: my grinder budget is insanely low, but it's all I can do at this point.

I've been using my local coffee shop to purchase espresso & grind the beans for me.  This has worked out fairly well, with their finest "Turkish" setting (they use a Bunn commercial grinder) being a little too coarse for proper extraction, but good enough.  Until yesterday, where half the bag was full coarse, and the other half Turkish.

So my question to you is can I buy a grinder of any sort, from Amazon only (because I have a gift card), for under $70, that would be better than my current grinding solution (which is to have my coffee shop grind it for me)?  I drink 4 to 6 shots per day.

I was looking at the Hario Skerton, Kyocera Ceramic, as well as the Capresso Infinity.  I am more concerned with being able to achieve proper grind size and consistency than I am concerned about it being power or manual.  

Thanks for the advice.
 View Profile Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 6:52am
Subject: Re: Kyocera vs. Capresso Infinity (other suggestions)?

I would go with the Kyocera/Skerton.  It is capable for espresso even on my Silvia. You can also get a $15 OE low bearing kit mod or use a plastic bushing to stabilize the burr for courser grinds.  It also looks nice on the counter.  Also an M8 Nylok nut can replace the stepped mechanism making the grinder stepless.  Very easy mods that can easily be replaced once the burrs get dull which won't be for a very long time.  

Youíre very restricted with the Capresso although I don't own one of those.  Just what I read.  I still havenít added the Nylock nut on my Kyocera and I grind perfectly for espresso on the 2nd setting from zero in around 2min.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 7:31am

Capresso doesn't grind fine enough and is more uneven grinds, good for coarse needs, bad for espresso. I have the Hario Mini Slim which all seem to prefer to the Skerton for espresso hand grinding for whatever reason (not sure why, does have a cool lid though to keep beans/chaff in and not pop corn out). Was only $30 or something like that. I don't really use it, just have it around just in case.

Looked up your machine though, has pressurized baskets (portafilter). So the Capresso could suffice there as those baskets on lower end machines help to negate not being able to grind fine/good enough. But if you decide to upgrade machines down the road to a better unit w/o a pressurized basket etc, your going to need a grinder capable of grinding fine enough for espresso.
RNAV

Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 1:33pm

Thank you all for the input.  Looks like I'll be going with the Kyocera -- from some reason it's cheaper than the Hario.  

FYI, I have upgraded my espresso machine to an '08 Expobar Office Lever, and love it!
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 5:23pm

RNAV Said:

Thank you all for the input.  Looks like I'll be going with the Kyocera -- from some reason it's cheaper than the Hario.  

FYI, I have upgraded my espresso machine to an '08 Expobar Office Lever, and love it!

Posted December 27, 2012 link

Oh, yeh the Capresso def won't suffice for the Exobar, be way better off with the hand grinders, their still tricky to dial in for espresso though since their stepped but can def work as I've used the Hario Slim before for espresso.
RNAV

Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 5:04am

Well, I ended up ordering the Hario Skerton and received it last evening.  I assembled it and it only took me three shots to dial it in using the built-in stepped feature.  I can say I truly had no idea that having 1) freshly ground beans, and 2) correctly ground beans could make such a tremendous impact on taste, and the overwhelming amount of crema produced.  I felt like the entire shot was crema!

Pulled my two double-shots this morning and can say they're the best espresso I've ever had.  I'm planning on running to Home Depot to do the step less nylok nut upgrade.  And I'm thinking about putting an acorn nut on the top and running the grinder with a DeWalt power screwdriver . . . this hand grinding gets tiring after a while.  

Thank you all for your advice!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Kyocera vs....  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.215937852859)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+