Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
New rancilio rocky with grounds falling out the bottom?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > New rancilio...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
wrysys

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 12:58pm
Subject: New rancilio rocky with grounds falling out the bottom?

Just got a rocky as a gift for xmas and have not used a higher end grinder.  After grinding about 6-7 cups I noticed that there was a large pile of grounds coming through the bottom and when I unscrewed the bottom, there was a fairly large collection of coffee grounds in there.  is this normal?  Could not find help online searching
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 9:28pm
Subject: Re: New rancilio rocky with grounds falling out the bottom?

Hi and welcome.
You really are not giving us much to work with, you said 6 or 7 cups, is this shots of espresso or cups of coffee?
Are you making espresso?
Is it a Doser or doserless grinder?
What did you unscrew?
How much is a large pile, and how much is a fairly large collection?

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
wrysys

Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 11:14pm

Ground about 6 cups for coffee (17 g each) using medium roast beans, set at 20, with a doser.  So not many beans have been run through it.   I noticed a few flecks of bean at the bottom of the unit.  When I moved it, a stream of coffee grounds fell through the perforations at the bottom panel.  I unscrewed the 3 screws and there was a substantial pile of coffee grounds there, probably about 3-4 tablespoons.   As this is the first larger grinder I have ever tried (have used my hand grinder previously), I did not clean the chute after each grind, and I did notice that the chute would  be completely occluded after each grind.  I assumed that the momentum from a new grind would simply push out the prior.    Is it not cleaning the chute that is causing the grounds to fall?
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Sun Dec 30, 2012, 1:12am

Thankyyou for more info. My hands on with a rocky is limited to about 3 double shots on one, I have mostly Mazzer grinders.
Are you saying that you have adjusted the Doser to about 20 g and are filling the Doser chamber so that the Doser is being used the way it was designed (they require the Doser chamber to have a high level of grounds in n it to be accurate and consistent with dosing)

It is normal for some grounds to get Inside the machine but that sounds very excessive. Was there any oil showing on the beans before grinding? That would tend to clog up the grind chute.

OK Rocky experts, now if you guys could take over and help this guy got, we both would be thankful

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
alanfrew
alanfrew
Expertise: Professional

Posted Sun Dec 30, 2012, 2:42am

There is a gasket between the outlet of the grinder mechanism and the body of the grinder that's meant to stop this happening, part number 36-301-027, described as GUARN, SCAR, CAFFE'ROCKY -GM . I would suggest it's missing or dislodged by rough handling in    transit, either way you should send the machine back to the retailer for repair. (Unless you're comfortable with DIY.)

Alan
wrysys

Posted Sun Dec 30, 2012, 11:20am

Thanks for the helpful advice.  I took apart the hopper and the gasket (small white soft plastic piece at chute) appears to be present.  I think that my coffee may be the problem.  After only 6-7 cups of coffee,  there was quite a bit of soil-like buildup covering the top burrs.   Looks i'll have to use my hario hand grinder for my brazilian beans.  Maybe i'll have to grind rice every few cups?    I'll keep the rocky as it was a nice gift from family, but I like the simplicity of the hand grinder.
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Sun Dec 30, 2012, 11:31am

I would venture to say that the gasket you are refering to is not the gasket Alan is talking about- and that the gasket he's refering to could also cause discharge problems if it were not properly in place- just a guess.
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Sun Dec 30, 2012, 11:49am

Here is a link to a parts breakdown, I believe Alan is probably talking about #38.
http://www.espressoparts.com/RancilioRockyDoserModelParts
alanfrew
alanfrew
Expertise: Professional

Posted Sun Dec 30, 2012, 2:14pm

CoffeeRon Said:

Here is a link to a parts breakdown, I believe Alan is probably talking about #38.
http://www.espressoparts.com/RancilioRockyDoserModelParts

Posted December 30, 2012 link

That's the one. Note that a "leak" at this point is the ONLY WAY that ground coffee can enter the machine body. The type of coffee you're using doesn't matter.

Alan
wrysys

Posted Sun Dec 30, 2012, 10:41pm

That's the piece and it is  small, but was in place.    It seems that coffee grounds could spill over the top of the burr especially as the grounds seem to occlude the chute.    When I unscrewed the hopper the grounds had covered most of the burr.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > New rancilio...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.277051925659)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+